New La Liga TV deal

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Don't know about you but I enjoy watching La Liga way more than epl.
But you are British so I understand your bias.

JamDav1982

Don't know about you but I enjoy watching La Liga way more than epl.
But you are British so I understand your bias.

Nope you are wrong.

I prefer to watch La Liga over EPL and will argue it as being the better league but I understand I am in the minority about which league I prefer to watch.

You keep missing the point that the huge tv deals is not based on people being deluded into thinking they are watching top top teams in world.

Even if that is the case it would only mean that both English and Spanish people think their league is best yet EPL domestic contract dwarfs what the Spanish will pay.

barcafan161

La Liga is the best league in the world to me. You only have to look at the success teams have had in terms of champions league. Sevilla have been a dissapointment but won europa last two years

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, Spain does excel in many sports whereas England basically sucks at most so they focus football mostly.
Also pound is stronger than euro so you'll get more money there by default.

JamDav1982

Well, Spain does excel in many sports whereas England basically sucks at most so they focus football mostly.
Also pound is stronger than euro so you'll get more money there by default.

I would say Britain focuses on a bigger variety of sports than Spain to be honest.

Of course the pound being strong plays a part but you would be surprised by the number of people out of work etc that find a way to get a SKY subscription. Basically over here it is seen as a necessity more than a luxury. People almost feel entitled to it.

Ubermensch

People in the UK are used to paying for subscription tv. It is accepted that people will play close to £100 a month for their sports packages mainly based on football.

If that's true, it pretty much explains the differences. 1/10 of most people's monthly salary goes to watching football on tv. This is a genuine exploitation. No one protests against it?

JamDav1982

If that's true, it pretty much explains the differences. 1/10 of most people's monthly salary goes to watching football on tv. This is a genuine exploitation. No one protests against it?

Sorry, meant to say up to around 100 euros a month not pounds is what people can pay for packages based on sports/football. The bars and pubs here pay thousands a month to get Sports Packages as well which all adds up.

No one really protests. If you dont like it then dont pay it.

May come a point when Sky/BT hike up the prices for this next contract and people on mass through a FB campaign etc start cancelling but people have moaned about the prices for years but always end up coughing up.

British teams get more CL tv money as well due to amount willing to pay for it and sure that is due to go up quite steeply also.

BigBarcaBoy

As an englishman I much prefer La Liga, Bundesliga and serie A to the EPL where too much money is spent on average players, my own team liverpool have turned it into an art form.

JamDav1982

As an englishman I much prefer La Liga, Bundesliga and serie A to the EPL where too much money is spent on average players, my own team liverpool have turned it into an art form.

I prefer La Liga as well but my point is that people over here tend to prefer the British style game and will pay of it on mass even if not best league in world.

Some people seem to think people are hoodwinked into coughing up what they think are the highest quality teams to watch. Which is not the case.

You still get Sky saying 'best league in the world' a fair bit but people know who the top, top teams are. Even the pundits etc will constantly point out how the top teams are lagging behind the very best.

BigBarcaBoy

I prefer La Liga as well but my point is that people over here tend to prefer the British style game and will pay of it on mass even if not best league in world.

Some people seem to think people are hoodwinked into coughing up what they think are the highest quality teams to watch. Which is not the case.

You still get Sky saying 'best league in the world' a fair bit but people know who the top, top teams are. Even the pundits etc will constantly point out how the top teams are lagging behind the very best.

i agree, you look at the viewing figure when companies like itv showed cl games not including english teams, absolutely shameful, you hear english fans calling barca boring. Sky are very good at marketing as are the people at the premier league. It's exciting to watch but the standard at the moment is pretty awful.

MaxY

Devil May Cry
Plus the EPL is more competitive and therefore draws more people. Unlike Ligue 1 and Bundesliga where everybody already knows who the champions will be before the start of a season, nobody can predict who will win the EPL. With La Liga it is us 45%, Real Madrid 45% and Atletico 10%.

Also the role of English the language should not be underestimated. It is much easier to expand to foreign markets with English being your tool while few people speak Spanish outside Spain and the Americas.

Oh cmon, that 45 ,45 & 10 is bullshit. It's more like Barca 60 %, RM 20 %, ATM 20 %. Last 6 years = Barca 4 La Ligas, ATM 1, RM 1.

serghei

I think there has to be set a difference before starting the old talk about La Liga vs EPL again.

Most popular does not mean the best quality. And also the best quality is difficult to estimate when a league has better top teams, and the other one has better lower table teams.

La Liga is probably known as the best league in the world, with the best players and the biggest clubs (Barca and Real are 2 of the best 5, with Bayern, Milan and Manchester United possibly being the other 3), while EPL is probably known as the most popular league in the world as well as the most spectacular to watch overall (just my opinion).

Barca and Real are the teams that make La Liga the best league in the world. There's not much difference between Tottenham and Sevilla, or Villareal and Everton let's say. But Barcelona and Real are usually better than England's best. Sure, there can be exceptions, like Liverpool smashing Real 4-0.

England has the best fans, the best atmoshpere and the dinamic of the games is better. Less tactics, but few people are very interested in tactics, most prefer prefer the philosophy that says: "I'll attack, you'll attack and let's just see whose day is today. My day or your day". End to end football is considered more attractive by most of the fans.

Also, most of England's stadiums are packed. If you see a Swansea - Stoke, the stadium is full. If you see a Getafe - Almeria, it's 70% empty. I for one, don't feel like watching a game which almost sounds like it's played behind closed doors. That's a true indicator that, actually, brittish fans from outside the central football-areas like Manchester and London, care for football more than the Spanish equivalents usually do. Stoke fans and Swansea fans are way more interested in their teams than Getafe's fans for example. More passion. That's what makes the Premier League a more spectacular league overall. Fans are more passionate, and it's almost like a duty to support your local club, a sort of tradition given from generation to generation.

Also, let's not just disconsider money distribution, which means better players for smaller teams (FFS, Newcastle, a pretty average team in England these days, fighting relegation, just transferred one of the best Dutch talents in Wijnaldum). Getafe won't evern come close to buying or attracting a player of that caliber. They usually transfer free players and sell for 3m to be able to at least survive in the first league. La Liga is like a league of three dimensions. The title fight, which is for 4-5 teams at best, depending on the period in time (Barca, Real, Atletico now, in the past, Depor and Valencia were in the mix as well), the Eurppa League spots are also a duel consisting of 5-6 teams and the relegation fight, which also involves 4-5 teams usually.

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Stopped reading at "England has the best fans". 500 German fans are louder than entire English stadiums.

serghei

Stopped reading at "England has the best fans". 500 German fans are louder than entire English stadiums.

I don't believe that to be true. I also support Steaua Bucharest, and they've played a game in Middlesbrough, 2006 in the UEFA CUP semifinal. The fans in that game carried Middlesbrough from 0-2 (0-3 aggregate) to 4-2. It was almost only the fans. Plenty of other examples too. My personal opinion is that british fans are the most passionate about their teams, out of the top 4-5 leagues. Feel free to think otherwise.

I like Bundesliga fans too btw, I'd probably place them behind PL fans.

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
You don't believe it's true and yet every time Bundesliga team comes to England their fans teach locals a lesson in chanting.

Turn in Bundesliga today and switch over to epl and see the difference.

Saying epl has best fans is laughable.

Home of Barca Fans