CL | 1/8: FC Barcelona - Arsenal 5-1 agg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

goonerinpeace

This might be harder than you think. As the previous Arsenal teams Barcelona played had no capacity to resist Barcelona's quality. Although the current Arsenal team is a lot more organized and resilient, especially at the back.

Wenger will likely go with pace, which means Gabriel next to Koscielny rather than Mertesacker, and Walcott down the middle flanked by Sanchez and Chamberlain. As its been noted, Barcelona's weakness is on the counter, and it has to be said, that unlike your attacking players, no one really envies the quality you have at the back.

Barcelona will dominate and will create chances, but if Cech has one of those games, and Koscielny step up, and we win enough ball to launch counter attacks, we may just surprise you.

khaled_a_d

Problem is that weaker teams will then go ultra defence trying to get to penalties.
I think there is no great solution but getting rid of the away goal rule in extra time atleast wont result in teams scared to concede.
Just unlucky if your team ends up playing the second game away.

I would prefer the teams to play defensively then .makes way more sense than such unfair extra-time for home team
And it isn't like your suggestion will change it .if the weaker team is ready to play defensive for 180 minute and reached extra-time ,it isn't like those 30 minutes will motivate them to attack

Last edited:

BerkeleyBernie

Pretty good drawing. Arsenal not the weakest but not the strongest either. We might be able to trash them with a more attacked focused Barca + MSN.

Wenger always leaves plenty of space. Barça will do fine against other teams that attack. It's the pure defense/counterattack teams that are the most troublesome.

SirXavi

The Engineer
wenger.jpg

serghei

Wenger always leaves plenty of space. Barça will do fine against other teams that attack. It's the pure defense/counterattack teams that are the most troublesome.

Well, last game we played against Arsenal they parked the bus on Camp Nou and had 0 shots TOWARDS target (not on target). I wouldn't say they will attack us or anything. They will probably try to play for a 0-0, 1-0, 2-1 win at home. Defending with numbers and going on the counter fast with their quick players. Arshavin's goal from that 2-1 win is how they dream to play us. It was probably their best moment against Barca that I saw so far.

Last edited:

i_bleed_blaugrana

Only players I fear are Ozil and Asexis lol (those days). Still remember that pass he teed up Ronaldo at the Camp Nou and he was the only one who brought class to that godless bunch mouligans. He knows exactly what to do against us and especially if Wenger throws Walcott up top, could cause us some problems on the counter with him and Alexis's pace, regardless if they drop deep or press.

Key man for me in this tie will be Busi, if he can keep Ozil quiet and frustrate them with good positioning and quick interceptions, they will break rank and lose their shape. I was definitely cheering for them against Olympiakos and I'm bummed we drew them, but it's hard to see MSN not having a field day with the space and time they will have. Ramsey is really bad about bombing forward constantly when he is supposed to be a pivot and I'm not sure when Coquelin will be back for them but it's either him or lolz Arteta. If we can boss Modric and Kroos without Messi, we should be able to handle them easily, especially over two games.

Don't forget about the Beard tho. He would eat Arsenal alive through the center. God I'm so fucking stoked to see this dude with us.

DrPepper

Well, last game we played against Arsenal they parked the bus on Camp Nou and had 0 shots TOWARDS target (not on target). I wouldn't say they will attack us or anything. They will probably try to play for a 0-0, 1-0, 2-1 win at home. Defending with numbers and going on the counter fast with their quick players. Arshavin's goal from that 2-1 win is how they dream to play us. It was probably their best moment against Barca that I saw so far.

Agreed here. Can't fathom how people think this will be an open game with both sides trying to attack. Arsenal approach big games by sitting deep in a 4-1-4-1 block and trying to play through balls to Walcott (who will start upfront unless Giroud keeps not being shit), Özil and Alexis. In fact, they beat us in the same manner at the Emirates in 2011, won against Bayern just recently, etc. The last time they were open in big games, they lost 1-5 against Liverpool, 0-6 against a bus, conceded 6 at the Etihad, etc. The last time they played an open game against us, Messi scored 4 past them.

Having said that, we don't have prime Pep bottling our away games. If our defence turns up, we got this.

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
Only players I fear are Ozil and Asexis lol (those days). Still remember that pass he teed up Ronaldo at the Camp Nou and he was the only one who brought class to that godless bunch mouligans. He knows exactly what to do against us and especially if Wenger throws Walcott up top, could cause us some problems on the counter with him and Alexis's pace, regardless if they drop deep or press.

Key man for me in this tie will be Busi, if he can keep Ozil quiet and frustrate them with good positioning and quick interceptions, they will break rank and lose their shape. I was definitely cheering for them against Olympiakos and I'm bummed we drew them, but it's hard to see MSN not having a field day with the space and time they will have. Ramsey is really bad about bombing forward constantly when he is supposed to be a pivot and I'm not sure when Coquelin will be back for them but it's either him or lolz Arteta. If we can boss Modric and Kroos without Messi, we should be able to handle them easily, especially over two games.

Don't forget about the Beard tho. He would eat Arsenal alive through the center. God I'm so fucking stoked to see this dude with us.

The Beard is suspended for the first game, though. Such a shame.

Last edited:

Darko

It's all about Busi vs Ozil and the Coq vs our midfield, if Busi keeps Ozil in his pocket we can nullify their attack and if Coquelin doesn't play we will create loads of chances by using the space between their midfield and defense.

el chilenito

I think alot of people are underestimating what sanchez can do in terms of playmaking, he is after all arsenals top assister in the champions league with 4 not to mention scored 3 as well. Noone can deny that sanchez often got into great position during his time with us but his problem was his shooting, at arsenal he vastly improved in that area so no doubt he will be a threat in this match. If hes not trying to score he will definately make through balls that can hurt bad. A sanchez full of confidence is a dagerous one, he has played against spain and brazil, argentina and was usually man of the matches in those games so he will be tough to predict. Pace especially with the likes of matheiu and dani alves, pique? Should be interesting.

KyletheMuslim

Guardiolista
I think alot of people are underestimating what sanchez can do in terms of playmaking, he is after all arsenals top assister in the champions league with 4 not to mention scored 3 as well. Noone can deny that sanchez often got into great position during his time with us but his problem was his shooting, at arsenal he vastly improved in that area so no doubt he will be a threat in this match. If hes not trying to score he will definately make through balls that can hurt bad. A sanchez full of confidence is a dagerous one, he has played against spain and brazil, argentina and was usually man of the matches in those games so he will be tough to predict. Pace especially with the likes of matheiu and dani alves, pique? Should be interesting.

chill bro, this is Arsenal we are playing. Not Bayern Munchen

Richard.H

Very difficult draw in my opinion. Arsenal look deadly in the EPL and their confidence is sky high. Oezil is really shining for them and is back to his RM form. I really hope our defense is solid or else their counter attacks will result in many chances...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans