Which league to play if Catalonia gain independence

Which league to play if Catalonia gain independence

• Total voters

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
I'd take EPL. Maybe we can teach them idiots how Liga had mostly Barca and Madrid on top.

LeeRomeno

Well Ligue 1 with Barca (and Espanyol) would in a few years probably become then 4th best league in the world. PSG and Barca rivalry with Monaco, Lyon and others also dangerous.
Id still prefer La Liga though.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Superleague. Laporta called for it in 2003 or was it before elections just to get more votes, can't remember. Either way, that would be my choice for Barca.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
There would be uproar if Barca were made to leave La Liga as you provide income - a lot of income. Also I don't think Catalonia will gain independence.

However If they were to be a Catalonia team they should be made to start at the bottom of the Spanish football pyramid.

StarLord

Freedom! Free from Madrid's suppression, unfair policies. Control their own fate including army, finances, education, etc. And mind you, Messi won't be persecuted again and again for his tax issue. Same as Neymar's transfer issue as well.

Absolutely nothing.

There is no suppression of Catalunya today, the days of Franco are long gone. The reason many in Catalunya want independence is because they naively believe that it will result in economic benefits, even though today, Catalunya and the Basque country are more lightly taxed than other Spanish regions and do in fact enjoy a great deal of autonomy.

Having said that, the chances of Catalunya of gaining independence anytime soon are quite slim in my view. For the following reasons:

a) The Spanish Constitution does not allow for something like that to happen. Madrid has law on its side. It was generally understood after Franco died that Catalunya and the Basques would enjoy considerable autonomy on the proviso that they would not be able to secede.

b) The EU will not approve of it. This has grave economic implications for Catalonia.

c) NATO (see: the US Empire) will also not approve. NATO does not want to go the way of the Warsaw Pact. It may very well suffer a similar fate one day, but it won't be in the immediate future.

But, since you can never be sure in history, in the case that Catalonia secedes, I would like to see a European Super League. If that is not possible either, then I would like Barca to join the EPL for the very obvious (and massive) financial advantages of that league. Imagine the sponsorship deals we could get by playing in the EPL!

Last edited:

vukkapor

There is no suppression of Catalunya today, the days of Franco are long gone. The reason many in Catalunya want independence is because they naively believe that it will result in economic benefits, even though today, Catalunya and the Basque country are more lightly taxed than other Spanish regions and do in fact enjoy a great deal of autonomy.

Having said that, the chances of Catalunya of gaining independence anytime soon are quite slim in my view. For the following reasons:

a) The Spanish Constitution does not allow for something like that to happen. Madrid has law on its side. It was generally understood after Franco died that Catalunya and the Basques would enjoy considerable autonomy on the proviso that they would not be able to secede.

b) The EU will not approve of it. This has grave economic implications for Catalonia.

c) NATO (see: the US Empire) will also not approve. NATO does not want to go the way of the Warsaw Pact. It may very well suffer a similar fate one day, but it won't be in the immediate future.

But, since you can never be sure in history, in the case that Catalonia secedes, I would like to see a European Super League. If that is not possible either, then I would like Barca to join the EPL for the very obvious (and massive) financial advantages of that league. Imagine the sponsorship deals we could get by playing in the EPL!

So Kosovo, who didn't have the right to get it's own country, is now.. A country ?

Jesus, the EU and US do what suites them they don't care about the law..

Alik

The Basque country has more tax autonomy than Catalonia though, and that's one of the complaints.

Catalonia is one of the wealthiest regions in Spain, but their deficit is rising because they only get to keep a small portion of their taxes - the rest goes to Madrid.

Dan1983

Prediction champion 2012-2013
I'd want us to stay in La Liga. As much as I hate Real Madrid, I'd miss playing them twice a season.

Home of Barca Fans