Gianluigi Donnarumma

slicknick

Not sure where I found this but I think it is hardcore impressive, given how extremely young he is

VkVm8CF.png

Last edited:

slicknick

According to the international edition of La Gazetta dello Sport,we are one of the clubs currently tracking him
https://twitter.com/GazzettaWorld/status/685265954171924480

http://gazzettaworld.gazzetta.it/ne...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Even though recent news suggest that Man Utd are also keeping tabs on him
http://www.squawka.com/news/report-manchester-united-favourites-to-sign-donnarumma/559372

IMO, he is better off staying at Milan for an additional season or two, to nurture his skills, and by then I assume we will be on the look-out for a young replacement of Bravo anyway...Fingers crossed

Last edited:

slicknick

Let me help you [MENTION=11324]slicknick[/MENTION]

VkVm8CF.png

Thank you Sir, tried to do the same thing but somehow didn't work for me when I tried to post through my cell phone...
Greatly appreciated :cheers:

By the way, is it me, or does this graph also show how average Joe Hart is in reality? :messi:

Yannik

The graph shows actually pretty few, as it is almost purely dependable on how many shots these guys get on goal..
and top teams such as City, United, Bayern or Madrid receive fewer shots than Milan, so the results in this graph are just logical.

stats for goalkeepers are sort of useless anyway, as they dont show the quality of the chances that lead to saves/goals.

slicknick

The graph shows actually pretty few, as it is almost purely dependable on how many shots these guys get on goal..
and top teams such as City, United, Bayern or Madrid receive fewer shots than Milan, so the results in this graph are just logical.

stats for goalkeepers are sort of useless anyway, as they dont show the quality of the chances that lead to saves/goals.

Fair enough, but you have to realize that City, United, Bayern or Madrid also have far superior defensive lines to what Milan currently has...

If we had to compare it to Diego Lopez (a much older, much more experienced goalkeeper that also got to play in Real Madrid), who was having the same defensive line in front of him before he was dropped, this is how they compared

CW6E_5wWkAIK1Lg.jpg

Yannik

Well thats at least a bit more comparative than the first graph, but it still doesnt show the quality of the shots faced.
I didnt watch those matches, but it could very well be the case that Diego Lopez played more matches in which Milan often ran into counter attacks, therefor the shots he faces are fewer but much harder to save than, lets say, a match in which the majority of shots were thankful longshots. Some teams are just bloody effective, while others pressure the opponent 90 minutes with half chances that summarize until they go in.

Goalkeepers that play behind high defense lines for example do have absolutely awful jobs. Those are mostly top teams, so they face fewer shots, but WHEN they have to make a save, then those are very often 1on1s with strikers or something like that. Often they have like 3 shots on goal, from which 2 go in. Then the people begin to think that they are shit, while some relegation-team goalkeeper gets hailed for the season of his life.

Last edited:

slicknick

Well thats at least a bit more comparative than the first graph, but it still doesnt show the quality of the shots faced.
I didnt watch those matches, but it could very well be the case that Diego Lopez played more matches in which Milan often ran into counter attacks, therefor the shots he faces are fewer but much harder to save than, lets say, a match in which the majority of shots were thankful longshots. Some teams are just bloody effective, while others pressure the opponent 90 minutes with half chances that summarize until they go in.

Goalkeepers that play behind high defense lines for example do have absolutely awful jobs. Those are mostly top teams, so they face fewer shots, but WHEN they have to make a save, then those are very often 1on1s with strikers or something like that. Often they have like 3 shots on goal, from which 2 go in. Then the people begin to think that they are shit, while some relegation-team goalkeeper gets hailed for the season of his life.

That's a fair point, so I'm with you on that one, but takes this from me...Granted, the kid is still rough around the edges, but his reflexes, positioning, footwork and so on are lightyears ahead of his peers...Did not really buy into the hype straight away either, but I've seen 5-6 different games now (incl tonight's game, Roma vs Milan) and the kid's flippin' GOOD...Saved Milan's bacon in more than a handful of games, just hope he keeps it up

Yannik

That's a fair point, so I'm with you on that one, but takes this from me...Granted, the kid is still rough around the edges, but his reflexes, positioning, footwork and so on are lightyears ahead of his peers...Did not really buy into the hype straight away either, but I've seen 5-6 different games now (incl tonight's game, Roma vs Milan) and the kid's flippin' GOOD...Saved Milan's bacon in more than a handful of games, just hope he keeps it up

Can't really say how good he is, I have few access to Serie A games, and to be honest I'm not really attracted to italian football. But if he keeps going his way and becomes as good as forecasted then I will sooner or later see whats behind the hype.
But as for now I only have those statistics and I just cant buy into statistics in general. Its misleading to do that for field players, but even more for goalkeepers.
Football just isnt a game where statistics really work, its great in Baseball for example because the gameplay is repetetive and linear, but not in football. Its a sport where 22 men kick a round ball over the field. With their fucking feet. Its almost a chainreaction of inconsistent coincedences, you know what I mean.

MaxY

Devil May Cry
If anybody will break the GK record it'll be De Gea or him(or both). He's gonna be 17 in 45 days. If somebody buys him and he doesn't flop, he can be the first GK for almost 20 years lol. He's already 1.98 M and he has plenty of time to grow even more.

slicknick

If anybody will break the GK record it'll be De Gea or him(or both). He's gonna be 17 in 45 days. If somebody buys him and he doesn't flop, he can be the first GK for almost 20 years lol. He's already 1.98 M and he has plenty of time to grow even more.

Judging from a handful of games I've seen, he is surprisingly agile for such a big guy too...The only point he can improve upon is his distribution, which I'm sure will come with time as long as he makes the right career moves.. THEN we can surely talk about a keeper to play for the next 20 something years

Alik

Seems like if your name is Gianluigi and you are Italian, you are destined to be a star keeper.

i'll get to say i saw him debut live !
Italian GK tradition is totally against sweeper keepers so it will be interesting to see how his distribution develops.

Yannik

Well no nation has a real "tradition" of sweeper keeping. It certainly isnt a "new thing", but it was never exceptionally popular until Neuer made it meta.
No nation except from maybe the Netherlands has an incredible historical depth of skilled goalkeepers, there were a couple of goalkeepers who were good with their feet, but that was just seen as a bonus and never as an integral part of their play. This changed recently.
The position is developing and young goalkeepers from all nations start to move away from the traditional understanding of the gk role. I predict that this whole thing will be pretty normal in 20 years. Which is a good thing, I dont see any plausible reason to not train that sweeper role, other than being just too lazy to do it.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Well no nation has a real "tradition" of sweeper keeping. It certainly isnt a "new thing", but it was never exceptionally popular until Neuer made it meta.
No nation except for the Netherlands has an incredible historical depth of skilled goalkeepers, but the position is developing and young goalkeepers from all nations start to move away from the traditional understanding of the gk role. I predict that this whole thing will be pretty normal in 20 years. Which is a good thing, I dont see any plausible reason to not train your feet as a gk, other than being just too lazy to do it.

Think Barca playing from back and Valdes had bigger impact than Neuer.

Barcas Pep team came along and changed football and teams started to play out from back more from then end look for keepers that could do it.

Home of Barca Fans