Corruption investigation re. Clasico

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
According to Catalan newspaper L'Esportiu, Spanish police are investigating a case of pressure on linesman to benefit Real Madrid in the upcoming Clasico.

780_0008_5389946_c4b94e1e7414b30572e8e45608d6415d.jpg

Report claims that linesman got told by his referee that he had been given instructions from referee committee to benefit Madrid in upcoming Clasico.

When linesman refused, he got phone call from inside Spanish federation threatening him that his career could end soon.

Another linesman, from another referee trio, would also have been given the same instructions to favour Madrid in upcoming clasico.

The idea is for the linesman to make the wrong calls, because it causes less upset than when the referee himself makes them.

Threatened linesman filed formal complaint with anti-corruption prosecutor and Spanish police is now investigating the case.

Member referee comittee who alegedly threatened the ref is named J.A. Jimenez, liga referee 1985-1991 and ex-member of Franco's falange party.

Vicente (lawyer linesman): "He wanted the story out there already. He was heavily pressurized and he decided to act now."

Vicente (lawyer linesman): "My client said he was told he'd get a lower ranking if he didn't agree to favour Madrid in Clasico."

Vicente (laywer linesman): "My client contacted colleagues of him, other linesmen, and one said he had been pressurized in same way."

khaled_a_d

This could at least do some damage to their reputation
I generally don't like this stuff in Liga and hope things kept clean ,but fuck it .our players ha been accused of tax fraud ,the Neymar transfer saga and the FIFA ban .enough damage already done to our image .time to enjoy seeing it other way around

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I expect the authorities to brush this under the carpet, unfortunately, but I can't say I'm not enjoying the press jumping up and down on this. After all the shit Madrid have pulled against us, against us players, it's nice to see them face the same.

Icarium

Lifestealer
This doesnt surprise me, hell La liga board might pressurize to give barca decisions against small teams. They don't care about fair play, they only care about money they make. Lot of people outside Spain only watch because of barca and real. And more goals attract people. The suggestions of shifting some matches to US also same reason. Even the new supposed TV deal is a biased as fuck. But it is more likely that they would prefer real as it is motivated by political reasons too.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Iturralde expressed similar sentiments after he retired...Plus, Spain is embroiled in a multitude of corruption scandals for years now

Not surprising but let's see where this leads, if anywhere

Barcafan 2304

And quelle surprise, someone posted on the Real Madrid thread that the investigating committee will be made up of ex Madrid members!

Neimax

Not surprised at all. But what really shocks me is that you read this story in nearly no newspaper or website outside of Spain. If this story would have been published by the Madrid press, you'd even read it in the smallest newspapers and every one would know about it. What a shame

bungsalman

Not surprised at all. But what really shocks me is that you read this story in nearly no newspaper or website outside of Spain. If this story would have been published by the Madrid press, you'd even read it in the smallest newspapers and every one would know about it. What a shame

Agree.. Not surprised.

raskolnikov

Yeah im also waiting on things to blow up in teh international media but outside of a few internet fora where the majority goes " lol MD/Sport .... " or "obviously Barca and Real are both corrupt" shit is quieter than a churchmouse on heroin.

Barcafan 2304

I'm trying REALLY hard not to let these thoughts get the better of me but I can't help but wonder what the reaction would be if it was alleged we had been involved in this

Home of Barca Fans