FC Barcelona Finances

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I'm sure if the Barca players were offered 20% pay cut, they would do that no problem.

If the reported 70% is true, then I could see a bit why they might reject it.

Maybe a 50% pay cut would be more reasonable.

I don't buy the 70% from Sport, it would be ridiculous. 50% which was reported by Palco123 is more plausible.

Some of the stuff/rumors flowing around say the players wanted the club to make the savings elsewhere (from transfer coffers etc.), not sure if it is true or not.

I hope they keep negotiating. If the players don't agree on any paycut at all then to hell with them.

KingLeo10

As expected, our players rejected the pay cut proposal from the club. A bunch of spoiled, overpaid brats.

Meanwhile, Bayern players have agreed on a 20% pay cut and Dortmund players will "waive part of their salaries".

https://www.espn.com/soccer/barcelo...educe-wages-amid-coronavirus-outbreak-sources

Messi needs that 100 M a year so he can make the news when he donates 1 M of that to the local hospitals.

Anyone looking for elite footballers to set the standard for humanitarian measures will be disappointed.

Like Thiago Silva, they're worried about feeding their 10th generation.

serghei

Messi needs that 100 M a year so he can make the news when he donates 1 M of that to the local hospitals.

Anyone looking for elite footballers to set the standard for humanitarian measures will be disappointed.

Like Thiago Silva, they're worried about feeding their 10th generation.

One of the reasons I don't have idols in sports. Don't assume that just because someone is great at playing football this somehow makes them full of virtues.

devo901

One of the reasons I don't have idols in sports. Don't assume that just because someone is great at playing football this somehow makes them full of virtues.

Well but many great players also build up their life after active playing and start successful new careers such think of hm ... Ronaldinho Hahahahahah

Neymessi

At this point, actually way back from now, it's been a big PR stunt of mes que en club.

Till now it was just a shitty board but players can fuck off when most of the amigos have been here since la masia.

FC433

It is business, cannot blame them; however, they cannot complain when we treat them as such. Time to refresh and treat them how Perez treats RM's players. Earn your wages.

Rakitic and Vidal are most likely leaving. Busquets, Suarez, Pique and Alba must follow. Period. Even for 10m because they are not that good anyway. A bit disappointed because I am one of those who do not like to look at our relationships that way.

We are seriously in a very tough spot and can collapse. Recovering will not be easy since we are not owned and cannot be outsourced.

Neymessi

Business doesn't mean you have to necessarily forget ethics and virtue.

This is a serious situation and discarding some of your wages isn't something that you can call altruistic or too much to ask for, especially when you have been with the club since childhood and the club can come under serious strain financially right now. Entitled pricks, each and every one of them.

malvolio

first off, we don't really know if this is true or not. bullshit writing like "sources have told ESPN" in this period when nothing happens have to be taken with a ton of salt.

talking about the financial aspect and words like "ethics" and "virtue" doesn't make any sense. how many people in here have taken a pay cut willingly in this period?

the problem of this club is that we overpay(transfer fee or salary) for players that don't perform or are a bad fit. we then get burdened with huge salaries that we can't get rid off.

all this bullshit about taking pay cuts are just PR stunts. like bayern couldn't afford to pay the cleaning personnel at the stadium without them :lol:

i really don't understand why some of you get so wound up about it. if you are doing it for this you should also ask yourself why are you watching football in general, since the sport is full of iliterate idiots who only got lucky by being good(most of them aren't even good at it) at kicking a ball around. football in general is a fraud in it's current state.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
first off, we don't really know if this is true or not. bullshit writing like "sources have told ESPN" in this period when nothing happens have to be taken with a ton of salt.

talking about the financial aspect and words like "ethics" and "virtue" doesn't make any sense. how many people in here have taken a pay cut willingly in this period?

the problem of this club is that we overpay(transfer fee or salary) for players that don't perform or are a bad fit. we then get burdened with huge salaries that we can't get rid off.

all this bullshit about taking pay cuts are just PR stunts. like bayern couldn't afford to pay the cleaning personnel at the stadium without them :lol:

i really don't understand why some of you get so wound up about it. if you are doing it for this you should also ask yourself why are you watching football in general, since the sport is full of literate idiots who only got lucky by being good(most of them aren't even good at it) at kicking a ball around. football in general is a fraud in it's current state.

Just because the board is idiotic to pay our players the highest salary in the industry, it doesn't mean these players shouldn't take a sensible (not 70% obviously) pay cut to help out the club. To me that gives the club more reasons to ask for a pay cut right now.

Sure nobody likes a pay cut but those players who get paid tens and millions a year should not be compared to us average joe's. They have more money than they ever need. Worst case scenario, they can postpone their purchase of those Lamborghini's until next year, whereas many of us would be struggling to put food on the table.

It is not just a PR stunt, do you know how much money we are short of, because of all the games being cancelled and all the TV and prize money not materialized? A conservative estimate is 160m and it could be a lot more than that.

Messi983

Is this pay cut from the period they do not play in or for the year?

From what I've read it's just for the period of "critical circumstances" which for now in Spain are until April 11 but will no doubt be prolonged until at least mid-May and probably even to June. You can't ask players for a pay cut for time they were still playing. I don't know if they are paid monthly (I assume) or quarterly but players were probably already paid for around 8 or 9 months from July to February or even March so the club can't take that money back from them.

Let's say Messi is paid 70m gross (without bonuses) per year. So it's about 6M/month. He already got 48-54M before the season was suspended. So from this point on the club can only ask him for pay cut of his wages for March (we've played some games this month though), April, May and possibly June. So let's simplify and say the club still owns him 20M for this season and if he'd have to take 70% pay cut as rumoured he would "only" lose around 14M and not 50M.

From a club perspective our Sporting Salaries last season were 670M and let's say they would be 720M this season, so 60M every month. So if the club has already paid their Sporting personell (players and coaching staffs of every professional section) for 8 or 9 months they still owe them 180-240M.

So with 70% pay cut Barça would "save" 42M every month. I've read a few days ago that the club will apparently lose around 60M of revenues because of corona virus but if this crisis will last for 2-3 more months (which is very likely) then I believe this number will be much higher.

bismp

Read that the club decided to apply the 70% cut without reaching an agreement with the players.

70% may sound a little harsh,but I absolutely believe that the board took the right decision.The whole world is in a very tight spot right now,people are dying,societies are crumbling and many people are losing their jobs.

Earning 30% for basically staying at home is still too much.Let's not forget that 30% of most players' salary is still thousands or tens of thousands euros a week!

If the players really declined to take a big cut of their huge salaries in these dark times,this tells everything about modern athletes' detachment from society(and especially our infamous Club de Amigos).

FinBarcelonafan

Read that the club decided to apply the 70% cut without reaching an agreement with the players.

70% may sound a little harsh,but I absolutely believe that the board took the right decision.The whole world is in a very tight spot right now,people are dying,societies are crumbling and many people are losing their jobs.

Earning 30% for basically staying at home is still too much.Let's not forget that 30% of most players' salary is still thousands or tens of thousands euros a week!

If the players really declined to take a big cut of their huge salaries in these dark times,this tells everything about modern athletes' detachment from society(and especially our infamous Club de Amigos).

How would you feel taking 70% paycut? Players might make more but most of them have high expenses as well. Their prime lasts only few years, so missing few months payment is a big deal.

70% is way too much.

Neymessi

From what I've read it's just for the period of "critical circumstances" which for now in Spain are until April 11 but will no doubt be prolonged until at least mid-May and probably even to June. You can't ask players for a pay cut for time they were still playing. I don't know if they are paid monthly (I assume) or quarterly but players were probably already paid for around 8 or 9 months from July to February or even March so the club can't take that money back from them.

Let's say Messi is paid 70m gross (without bonuses) per year. So it's about 6M/month. He already got 48-54M before the season was suspended. So from this point on the club can only ask him for pay cut of his wages for March (we've played some games this month though), April, May and possibly June. So let's simplify and say the club still owns him 20M for this season and if he'd have to take 70% pay cut as rumoured he would "only" lose around 14M and not 50M.

From a club perspective our Sporting Salaries last season were 670M and let's say they would be 720M this season, so 60M every month. So if the club has already paid their Sporting personell (players and coaching staffs of every professional section) for 8 or 9 months they still owe them 180-240M.

So with 70% pay cut Barça would "save" 42M every month. I've read a few days ago that the club will apparently lose around 60M of revenues because of corona virus but if this crisis will last for 2-3 more months (which is very likely) then I believe this number will be much higher.

I thought that in 20% cut maybe they are talking overall as 20% of the estimated time they may not play due to corona since most here were saying 70% is too much.

So we are talking about salary cut for that corona period only so how exactly is it justified that they don't take a pay cut of for example even 40%. You being paid millions for sitting at home and doing shit. Pathetic from our players and that includes Messi. People just don't want to talk about the elephant in the room that's it.

Bullshit excuses like their prime only last so long etc are BS. They get paid millions for doing nothing in this period and forfeiting 70% of their 2-month salary is nothing compared to their overall wealth. No to mention this salary isn't their only component of cash flow. They have multi-million-dollar brand deals and investments in plenty of assets and portfolios so it's not like they earn 0 after retirement. If this was manc I wouldn't have minded not just because that's a money-driven club but here these players were with us since their childhood and they can't even forgo a pay cut. Mes que en club my ass.

Home of Barca Fans