FC Barcelona Finances

malvolio

Huge wages would be my guess. Highest in the world, but it's not getting any return in terms of titles.

doubt it that revenue sunk by that much after only one dry season. prize money for winning CL or Liga don't matter that much for barca or real.

Andresito

Staff member
doubt it that revenue sunk by that much after only one dry season. prize money for winning CL or Liga don't matter that much for barca or real.

Don't forget the indirect effects of not winning titles with the club's status going down, especially after what we achieved 5-10 years ago.

malvolio

That's why I asked, and I agree with you, prize money is missing of course but game revenues and prize money can not be the only reason.

clearly we lost the home tickets revenue and for a couple of months the whole stadium tours, merchandise sold through the club shop. otherwise, it's not that big of a difference for barca if we exit the CL in QF to actually winning the damn thing. you would have to put into balance the additional bonuses we might pay when winning trophies.

Don't forget the indirect effects of not winning titles with the club's status going down, especially after what we achieved 5-10 years ago.

we are coming off back to back liga titles and QF-SF CL exits. it's not as if this our third season in a row not winning anything.

Last edited:

Andresito

Staff member
we are coming off back to back liga titles and QF-SF CL exits. it's not as if this our third season in a row not winning anything.

Might look OK on paper, but the more important thing is how it's perceived by the world.
Whenever Barca is the big headline it's because of something negative, often embarrassing, has been like that for years.

malvolio

Might look OK on paper, but the more important thing is how it's perceived by the world.
Whenever Barca is the big headline it's because of something negative, often embarrassing, has been like that for years.

people in here get too negative and stay on social media too long for their own good.

we care too much about how other perceive us and we got obsessed with the CL performance. let's be real, CL is a lottery for most of the time. too few meaningful games that are influenced by various factors.

no volcano or that goal in the return leg vs inter and we would have been the first team to have 3 CLs in a row. dembele bags a double against liverpool and valverde is a treble winner etc etc

real is better at keeping the shit under the rug, otherwise they have as much problems as us.

Andresito

Staff member
people in here get too negative and stay on social media too long for their own good.

we care too much about how other perceive us and we got obsessed with the CL performance. let's be real, CL is a lottery for most of the time. too few meaningful games that are influenced by various factors.

no volcano or that goal in the return leg vs inter and we would have been the first team to have 3 CLs in a row. dembele bags a double against liverpool and valverde is a treble winner etc etc

real is better at keeping the shit under the rug, otherwise they have as much problems as us.

I'm talking about a bigger perspective here dawg, not people in social media, nor me personally or fans in general. But rather the marketing perspective.

malvolio

I'm talking about a bigger perspective here dawg, not people in social media, nor me personally or fans in general. But rather the marketing perspective.

and what is the "marketing perspective"? we have the biggest revenue since forever, dawg.

FC Barcelona reach the top of the Money League for the first time ever and at the same time become the first club to break the €800m barrier, generating revenue of €840.8m

Andresito

Staff member
and what is the "marketing perspective"? we have the biggest revenue since forever, dawg.

FC Barcelona reach the top of the Money League for the first time ever and at the same time become the first club to break the €800m barrier, generating revenue of €840.8m

Swaying away now, but revenue is made from a longer time frame. At the time we had the best kit deal with Nike, but what's to say they are likely to make Barca their main team when the current deal runs out? At that point other teams will be more attractive if we don't get our shit together.

malvolio

Swaying away now, but revenue is made from a longer time frame. At the time we had the best kit deal with Nike, but what's to say they are likely to make Barca their main team when the current deal runs out? At that point other teams will be more attractive if we don't get our shit together.

we will see about that. not saying that we can't get worse, but no point in being negative all of a sudden.

don't think our problem is money related anyway. we are coming to the end of an unprecedented 10 years winning cycle and our sporting preparation for the future didn't go as planned(failed big transfers, mediocre managers and handling the messi situation).

Last edited:

Andrew M

I know covid sunked everything, but how come we look in worse shape than other big clubs?

Quite a few big clubs are keeping the spending in check. Madrid are not spending, nor PSG and other than Chelsea it's pretty frugal for everyone in the transfer market

As mentioned our wage bill is the issue

Messi983

This is just my assumption and I could be wrong but there were reports club's revenues will be around 200m lower than projected due to Covid. Now I think what they meant is of what club's projected budget for 2019/20 would be (1,047 billions) so our revenues last season will actually be around 850m while in 2018/19 they were 990m. So around 140m less than last season.

Barca gets 166m for La Liga TV rights so around 4,2m for every match. With 11 matches not played before June 30th when season/last fiscal year finished that's a loss of 46m. A money the club will eventually get but they can't include this revenues into last season reports. Unless they'll use some really creative accounting. :)

Club planned to get 220m from Nou Camp revenues - tickets (without season tickets which were expected around 43m) and Barca museum. Now obviously this numbers are fluctuating depending on the opponents, time of the yeat etc. but assuming we play 19 La Liga games and 4-5 CL games at Camp Nou every season that's a loss of around 9m for every game played without fans. We've played a total of 6 home games (5 in La Liga + return leg vs Napoli) behind the closed doors and games against AM, Bilbao and Espanyol are usually amongst the most visited games every season. Just my assumption but I think it's pretty safe to say Barca have lost around 40-50m of planned revenues here as well.

Now when it comes to UEFA money Barca got 117m (the most from all participating teams) in 2018/19 mainly due to the "historic coefficient". IIRC the club always calculate qualifying to the semi-finals of the CL when setting up their budget for following season and with prize money this would be around 60m. Out of that money according to my math the club received 37m before June 30th. (15,25m for qualifying to the CL, 12,6m for results in group stage and 9,5m for qualifying to the last 16 round). What we've missed out is 10m for qualifying to the quarter-final (again the club eventually got that money but it shouldn't be accounted to last season/fiscal year) and 12m for not qualifying to the semi-final which they've planned to do.

It's hard to say how much money exactly we've lost from UEFA TV distribution but we've played at least 3 games less than expected before June (return leg vs Napoli and two matches vs Bayern) so again could easily be around 15m.

Commercial revenues - most important sponsorship deals (like Nike and Rakuten) are on longer term contracts so the club probably already received that money before corona crisis. But I think they've also lost some (probably tens of) millions with other smaller sponsors because they couldn't "show their names" in games on Camp Nou or be otherwise linked to the club during a corona crisis.

So it's not so far fetched to expect the club's revenues will be around that 850m mark I've mentioned above. Or lower, but I don't expect them to drop below 800m tbh.

Now how much a net loss will be it depends on the expenditures which were expected to be 1B with sporting salaries (without depreciation) representing half of that. There were reports of the club saving around 16m every month during the crisis so in 3 months (April-June) this is about 50m savings. IIRC from reports from previous years the club also accounts around 15-20m for players/coaching staff's bonuses for winning La Liga and/or domestic double (I think the later but not sure) every season. Which obivously didn't happen so more money saved (thanks Setien I guess :lol: ). Hopefully they've also reduced management costs but I think in best case scenario total expenditures will be around 930-950m so a net loss will be somewhere around 100-150m.

Last edited:

wisconsincule

FCB should open up their socio program to everyone in the world.

Easy way for a new revenue stream. I would imagine they could get a million foreigners (maybe more??) to become Socios. That’s almost 200 million in added revenue each year...

Andrew M

This is just my assumption and I could be wrong but there were reports club's revenues will be around 200m lower than projected due to Covid. Now I think what they meant is of what club's projected budget for 2019/20 would be (1,047 billions) so our revenues last season will actually be around 850m while in 2018/19 they were 990m. So around 140m less than last season.

Barca gets 166m for La Liga TV rights so around 4,2m for every match. With 11 matches not played before June 30th when season/last fiscal year finished that's a loss of 46m. A money the club will eventually get but they can't include this revenues into last season reports. Unless they'll use some really creative accounting. :)

Club planned to get 220m from Nou Camp revenues - tickets (without season tickets which were expected around 43m) and Barca museum. Now obviously this numbers are fluctuating depending on the opponents, time of the yeat etc. but assuming we play 19 La Liga games and 4-5 CL games at Camp Nou every season that's a loss of around 9m for every game played without fans. We've played a total of 6 home games (5 in La Liga + return leg vs Napoli) behind the closed doors and games against AM, Bilbao and Espanyol are usually amongst the most visited games every season. Just my assumption but I think it's pretty safe to say Barca have lost around 40-50m of planned revenues here as well.

Now when it comes to UEFA money Barca got 117m (the most from all participating teams) in 2018/19 mainly due to the "historic coefficient". IIRC the club always calculate qualifying to the semi-finals of the CL when setting up their budget for following season and with prize money this would be around 60m. Out of that money according to my math the club received 37m before June 30th. (15,25m for qualifying to the CL, 12,6m for results in group stage and 9,5m for qualifying to the last 16 round). What we've missed out is 10m for qualifying to the quarter-final (again the club eventually got that money but it shouldn't be accounted to last season/fiscal year) and 12m for not qualifying to the semi-final which they've planned to do.

It's hard to say how much money exactly we've lost from UEFA TV distribution but we've played at least 3 games less than expected before June (return leg vs Napoli and two matches vs Bayern) so again could easily be around 15m.

Commercial revenues - most important sponsorship deals (like Nike and Rakuten) are on longer term contracts so the club probably already received that money before corona crisis. But I think they've also lost some (probably tens of) millions with other smaller sponsors because they couldn't "show their names" in games on Camp Nou or be otherwise linked to the club during a corona crisis.

So it's not so far fetched to expect the club's revenues will be around that 850m mark I've mentioned above. Or lower, but I don't expect them to drop below 800m tbh.

Now how much a net loss will be it depends on the expenditures which were expected to be 1B with sporting salaries (without depreciation) representing half of that. There were reports of the club saving around 16m every month during the crisis so in 3 months (April-June) this is about 50m savings. IIRC from reports from previous years the club also accounts around 15-20m for players/coaching staff's bonuses for winning La Liga and/or domestic double (I think the later but not sure) every season. Which obivously didn't happen so more money saved (thanks Setien I guess :lol: ). Hopefully they've also reduced management costs but I think in best case scenario total expenditures will be around 930-950m so a net loss will be somewhere around 100-150m.

Yes this is line what what I was thinking. So our revenues are still going to be the highest in the world probably, or close with Real Madrid.

It's just Madrid wage structure is much less burdensome and so they're better equipped to handle economic disasters like this. Even so, they're not spending either.

Devils

FCB should open up their socio program to everyone in the world.

Easy way for a new revenue stream. I would imagine they could get a million foreigners (maybe more??) to become Socios. That’s almost 200 million in added revenue each year...

That would effectively remove the Catalan ownership of the club by doing that as majority members would be non-Catalan.

This would never fly and such a proposal would never get passed.

Home of Barca Fans