FC Barcelona Finances

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
They're an adhesive manufacturer

Huh? You mean for the namesets and numbers like SportingID for the EPL? I thought all of these are now doned by the same vendor contracted by La Liga since all teams have the same typeface? No? Or are we going to have our own typeface for CL games like Real Madrid does?

Andrew M

Huh? You mean for the namesets and numbers like SportingID for the EPL? I thought all of these are now doned by the same vendor contracted by La Liga since all teams have the same typeface? No? Or are we going to have our own typeface for CL games like Real Madrid does?

Well they already provide services to lots of other clubs but apparently this is a more direct partnership. I just know they a huge company that provide adhesive materials etc

Joan

An interesting Jordi Cardoner interview has been published by Sport. I'll post it here since it says a lot about Barca's finances. Translation is via google translate (sorry for it).

Jordi Cardoner: It's still early to think about elections

- If we had raised ticket prices in 2010, we'd fund Espai Barca ourselves.
- Seient Liure not there to make money, but for Camp Nou to be full.

The vice-president of FC Barcelona confirms half of the cost of Espai Barça will be paid by the company which buys Camp Nou's naming rights and that it will be the best contract in the football industry. More to come in the following months.

The socios place their satisfaction level with the club at 7.5.
A remarkable one is fine. There is a path of improvement and we seek excellence. Regardless of the disappointment we had in Rome, the Barça partner is becoming more rational and believes that the sport management has been excellent.
They say they are excited ...
We have been successful with the hiring of Valverde and the signings have also created illusion.
Bartomeu and his management partners put a 7 ...
In 2010 we reversed the economic situation of the club. The entity had an income of 450 million and an identical debt. Today, those 450 million debt are in 150 and the income around 800 million, 900 with Neymar.
They have earned money ...
We have reduced debt, we have signed and we have been able to pay our players as they deserve. In addition, we have invested in assets, in Espai Barça and in numerous advantages for our socios.
Some say that the situation of the club is very delicate ...
We are an entity owned by all partners, not an SA. Years ago I heard that the club had reached its roof when we entered 450 million a year. In 2015 the idea was to enter 1,000 million euros in 2021. Then they said that we were doing a publicity spot. We are caressing that figure.
Jaume Roures said that if he were president, the first thing he would do would be to raise the prices of complete season tickets ...

If we calculate at market price what we have not entered since 2010 because we did not raise the prices of complete season tickets more than the CPI, we would surely have saved so much money that tomorrow we could pay in cash the entire cost of Espai Barça.
600 million euros!
Yes. Barça is a club of its members and therefore, it is a popular club. We took the management of the club in full crisis. We have been able to reduce debt, invest and maintain the effort made by our socios, who contributes 5% of the budget. If this is our management model, why do we have to transfer any negative economic impact to the socios? I have the honor of being very close to the socios and I know that most of them do not live like Mr. Roures lives. They have debts, mortgages and have to make great efforts to pay their installment and make ends meet.
The socios' support in the subject of fraud and tickets resale is total.

Although it is a very small minority, it is not nice to go against some socios, but they are not acting for the good of the club. They are not aware that there are many members who are waiting to enjoy a subscription while they make commercial use of theirs. Neither that they are enriching the mafias. The 'Observatori' has been overwhelming, because more than 92% agree on how we are proceeding.
There are socios who accuse them of wanting to control that business ...

We are in our right. What we do with these subscriptions in going to a legal and added value market that allows us to obtain, after accompanying it with other services, a money that is paid into the club to continue without raising subscriptions and so that they enjoy great social advantages.
For example?
Thanks to actions like these, like the Seient Lliure, we can offer members very important discounts in the Botigas Barça or they can travel to see the team to the Champions League for less than 200 euros.
The Seient Lliure creates controversy. Further links: Link1, Link2
Perhaps it has not been explained well that the only purpose of Seient Lliure is to fill the Camp Nou. Let's not say that the Seient Lliure is for making money. Is not true. We want the Camp Nou to be always full. It can not be that we demand our players always win, win the Triplet, and then not go to the field.
How is the Espai Barça?
It is the most important project from the social point of view. The new stadium could report to the club, only in VIPS and Hospitality boxes, between 50 and 75 million euros per year. We will have 8,000 more seats that will allow all members who are on the waiting list to have their seats.
Will the 'naming right' fund half of Espai Barça?
At first it was a third and today we think that this amount can be much higher. It is what we are finding in the market. We would like the surname of the Camp Nou to be known in the coming months.
Will Barça beat the record of income with the 'title right'?
We have to make sure that it is the best of the best. We have rejected disproportionate offers because they did not fit our criteria because we are very selective.
Barça was always a pioneer ...
In the world of sport there are few assets as attractive and special as the Camp Nou. It will be a tailor-made product that can not be compared to any other previous action with other clubs. Therefore, it is an operation of enormous complexity.
You are in the middle of your mandate. Do you think the current board should present a continuist candidacy?

We must not customize because we have all made a great effort to have the club we have. It is the sum of a lot of people's work. I would not like anyone to appropriate a moment, a stage, a title or the Espai Barça, because we are all doing ...
Do not forget me ...
It is too early. I think three years ahead are many. Today, companies and institutions think in the short and medium term. Anticipating these events is precipitate, but obviously the time will come when we will speak. When arrive. Today still does not touch.
Does this board deserve to continue holding the reins of FC Barcelona? Is Jordi Cardoner willing to take on the challenge?
It's not me who should answer that question. From the outset, there should be a proposal from this board that, for the moment, has not been produced. Also, I personally have not raised it yet.
There are people who say that you should take that step ...
Feeling it I have felt it, but 50% of the things that are said are very questionable. It is normal to talk about this because Barca is a tremendously democratic club, not like in other countries, such as PSG, for example. :lol:

"THE PARTY IN MIAMI IS GOOD FOR EVERYONE"

The raging news forces us to talk about all the controversy that has arisen in recent weeks around the league match between Girona and Barça that LaLiga proposes to be played in Miami, in the United States, at the end of January next year (day 21). Jordi Cardoner, who, logically, speaks on behalf of FC Barcelona, ​​defends the celebration of this game: "It's good for LaLiga, it's good for the competition, it's good for Barça and it's good for Girona. We have always liked to be pioneers in everything and being the first to bring the Spanish League to a market as important as the American is very interesting ". Cardoner argues that "we must also think globally, have a broader view and realize that if the Spanish league becomes popular and gains more followers abroad, it will be much easier to sell the rights in packages in other markets. And if that happens, there will be more money to be distributed, mainly for the clubs that enter the least."

"WE WANT SOCIOS TO ACCEPT THE FOUNDATION AS ITS OWN"

The recent presentation of the 'Observari Blaugrana' allowed to know another very positive fact, the degree of knowledge of the FC Barcelona Foundation by its social mass: "In recent years we have gone from 8% to 21% in terms of knowledge of programs and own actions that we carry out. However, we still have a great challenge ahead and that is that the Barça socio becomes the Fundació. That when asked in a survey the name of three foundations of the country, one of them is that of Barça. This does not happen today and that is why we have to continue working to bring the Foundation closer to our partners, from the information, but also from the participation ".
Cardoner highlights as very positive that "currently half of the 17 million euros that we have budget is contributed by our own sponsors, Today we are present in 59 countries and serve 1.5 million children around the world, five hundred thousand of them in Catalonia, something that fills us with pride ".

Mostly checked terminology not the quality. Most parts are pretty clear.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Thanks [MENTION=22463]Joan Laporta[/MENTION] for posting this. Did Cardoner say our debt is currently at 150m, or did I mistake it?

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
That's what I think he said. Part which was the most interesting to me.

I wonder how they did it in eight years, since our net income each season is no more than 30m (last season was only a paltry 11m) and it was probably used mostly on funding transfers.

I hope Cardoner is not making it up.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
We announced that we reached USD $1 billion in revenues: https://www.fcbarcelona.com/club/ne...in-the-world-to-surpass-1-billion-in-revenues

Couple of things of note: (1) This $1 billion figure is based on US dollars, not euros, so we still have not yet reached the goal of being the first club to reach 1 billion euros in revenue by 2021. (2) This figure is significantly padded/improved by the 222m we received from the Neymar sales so it is an anomaly, which will not be repeated. The club says this level of revenues can be sustained in future reasons by us regaining the rights of the merchandising business and the new cycles of UEFA payments, however I doubt if we will be able to improve that much from those to compensate the 220m level revenue we got last season, so it is certainly possible that our revenues for the next season are lower than this. (3) Even though the club says our wage to revenue ratio has decreased, I believe it is artificial because the revenues were padded by the Neymar sales so our wage to revenue ratio remains high.

Where Barcelona is largely different, however, is that Barcelona includes the profit from the sale of players as part of its revenue number. Other teams do not regard such income as operating income but a number accounted for as a "special" item and added after operating expenses have been subtracted from operating revenues to then give the overall operating profit.

Deloitte when compiling its annual Finance Football League does not regard profit from player sales in its revenue calculations and neither does Forbes when generating its annual most valuable soccer team rankings.

What this means is that Barcelona's revenue number of €914m ($1.06b) for 2017-18 will be closer to €700m ($812m) when being compared with revenue numbers for other teams.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbym...-to-over-1b-in-just-six-seasons/#1565a7d3104a

Last edited:

raki

All teaams taken transfers into account regarding revenue.
It´s baffling to me how people are calling them liars.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
All teaams taken transfers into account regarding revenue.
It´s baffling to me how people are calling them liars.

Any idea what this means?

Where Barcelona is largely different, however, is that Barcelona includes the profit from the sale of players as part of its revenue number. Other teams do not regard such income as operating income but a number accounted for as a "special" item and added after operating expenses have been subtracted from operating revenues to then give the overall operating profit.

PhilS

It's an accounting concept difference of opinion. Are player sales and player purchases part of your normal business? If so, player sales revenue goes into total receipts. If not, it goes down in the non-business income/expense section, with other items such as sale of real estate.

I think player sales are part of the normal business of a football team these days, and player sales are part of their normal business expenses. The Barca accountants are right, all the other clubs are wrong. Although I am a CPA, I have not researched this issue, this is just my gut feel.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
It's an accounting concept difference of opinion. Are player sales and player purchases part of your normal business? If so, player sales revenue goes into total receipts. If not, it goes down in the non-business income/expense section, with other items such as sale of real estate.

I think player sales are part of the normal business of a football team these days, and player sales are part of their normal business expenses. The Barca accountants are right, all the other clubs are wrong. Although I am a CPA, I have not researched this issue, this is just my gut feel.

So either way, no matter how you count the money received from player sales it is part of the total revenue? If other clubs don't count them, is this money counted anywhere at all? And how is it taxed? This is where I am confused.

Home of Barca Fans