FC Barcelona Finances

Mitchell1978

Apparently the 70% pay cut is only saving us between 14m to 16m for each month we are not playing.

No idea how that was calculated but if true, all the stuff lauding Messi for losing 50m etc. is fake.

that would only be true with a 70% pay cut for an entire season which isn't the case

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/soccer/barcelona-wont-reach-record-revenue-because-of-virus/

The president said the millions in monthly savings represent nearly 6% of the athletes’ annual earnings. He downplayed conflicts with the first-team players, who on Monday published a letter critical of team officials saying they put the squad under pressure.

Bartomeu said the first meeting with players took place on March 20 with a video conference with Lionel Messi, Sergio Busquets, Gerard Piqué and Sergi Roberto. He said he didn’t want the pay cut to be an imposition and that players were on board with it from the start.

JamDav1982

Apparently the 70% pay cut is only saving us between 14m to 16m for each month we are not playing.

No idea how that was calculated but if true, all the stuff lauding Messi for losing 50m etc. is fake.

Fairly sure Messi makes around 80m a year based on his salary and the split of his signing on fee/loyalty bonus.

What he is giving up is 70% of his salary across next few months and the signing fee is not touched.

That salary is supposedly 600k after tax.

If the season resumes and club doesn lose out massively the players will get the money back is what was initially being reported.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Fairly sure Messi makes around 80m a year based on his salary and the split of his signing on fee/loyalty bonus.

What he is giving up is 70% of his salary across next few months and the signing fee is not touched.

If the season resumes and club doesn lose out massively the players will get the money back is what was initially being reported.

I have done some calculations:

Based on what Bartomeu said, if we are saving 14m per month pre-taxed from the first team as a result of the 70% pay cut they took, that means on a monthly basis we are paying out about 20m in salary to the first team. Assuming the pay schedule is based on 12 months (I doubt it), that means our total wage bill for the first team is only 240m? That figure is just too low and makes no sense.

Am I missing something here?

soul24rage

Just curious of where you saw this?

JamDav1982

Based on what Bartomeu said, if we are saving 14m per month pre-taxed from the first team as a result of the 70% pay cut they took, that means on a monthly basis we are paying out about 20m in salary to the first team. Assuming the pay schedule is based on 12 months (I doubt it), that means our total wage bill for the first team is only 240m? That figure is just too low and makes no sense.

I think the club are giving the players 30% of their net salaries and still paying the tax or something along that lines.

Not that the club are suddenly saving 70% of the salaries paid out to players each month.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I think the club are giving the players 30% of their normal salaries and still paying the tax or something along that lines.

Not that the club are suddenly saving 70% of the salaries paid out to players each month.

The whole thing is a financial clusterfuck for me to understand and connect the dots together.

Bartomeu said "the millions in monthly savings represent nearly 6% of the athletes’ annual earnings", if that is the case, 70% of their remaining pay for each of March, April and May only accounts for 6% of their annual pay? So in the end the players only got paid 18% (6% x 3) less?

Sterlingfan2000

The whole thing is a financial clusterfuck for me to understand and connect the dots together.

Bartomeu said "the millions in monthly savings represent nearly 6% of the athletes? annual earnings", if that is the case, 70% of their remaining pay for each of March, April and May only accounts for 6% of their annual pay? So in the end the players only got paid 18% (6% x 3) less?

People think spain teams are great people because they are accepting 70% paycut.

Theres a Law in Spain where clubs can force 70% paycut to their players, so its just marketing gag

Messi983

Here is a good breakdown.

https://en.as.com/en/2020/03/27/football/1585307221_014532.html

The first team squad earn a combined total of 391,681 million euros in salaries - 83% of the 469,666 million the club lays out in personal expenditure. Other outgoings are as follows: youth team players combined wage bill - 28.025 million euros; the basketball team wage bill - 32.27 million; handball team wage bill - 6.170 million; the roller hockey team take 1.762 million and the futsal team, 4.190 million. The wage bill in other, non-professional areas comes to just 1.219 million and then there are a further 4.342 million euros which go towards paying staff in other areas of the club.

So for football first team: 392/12= 32m monthly x 0,7 = around 23m/month

For all club's sections: 470/12 = 39m monthly x 0,7 = around 27m/month

Bartomeu said "the millions in monthly savings represent nearly 6% of the athletes? annual earnings", if that is the case, 70% of their remaining pay for each of March, April and May only accounts for 6% of their annual pay? So in the end the players only got paid 18% (6% x 3) less?

Since he talked about the athletes he meant all sporting sections not just football first team.

28m monthly savings/470m wage bill = 5,95%

So "only 18% less" in three months would mean 84m savings for the club.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Here is a good breakdown.

https://en.as.com/en/2020/03/27/football/1585307221_014532.html

So for football first team: 392/12= 32m monthly x 0,7 = around 23m/month

For all club's sections: 470/12 = 39m monthly x 0,7 = around 27m/month

Since he talked about the athletes he meant all sporting sections not just football first team.

28m monthly savings/470m wage bill = 5,95%

So "only 18% less" in three months would mean 84m savings for the club.

That 27m (of savings thanks to the 70% cut) per month figure calculated based on numbers from that AS article is much higher than what Bartomeu said we would save, which is 16m pre-tax from all of the sporting sections.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

Bartomeu said "pre-tax" savings, I assume he meant gross, not net?

"In round figures, per month it is some 14 million in pre-tax waged for the first team and for the rest of the team 2 million as it is the basic salary and not bonuses. In total it's a cut of 16 million a month."

https://www.fcbarcelona.com/en/club/news/1650670/bartomeu-we-are-happy-with-the-agreement

Home of Barca Fans