FC Barcelona Finances

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
One forgotten thing about this:
The board has no problem with selling our soul, so we will get a new stadium name next year for sure.
"Something, something Camp Nou". This year a sponsor to make COVID-19-donation. Next year "Qatari Vacations Camp Nou" and we will earn 100M? a year on that or something.
That is new income, which we haven't had before, and it could save us some economic backlash.

We are testing the waters with the temporary Camp Nou naming right thing and so far there hasn't been any takers (other than the rumored offer from Mike Tyson's cannabis company) as far as we know.

We won't be getting 100m a year at all from the naming rights, nobody will. We might get 20m a year and 30m if we are really lucky.

Vilarrubi

We are testing the waters with the temporary Camp Nou naming right thing and so far there hasn't been any takers (other than the rumored offer from Mike Tyson's cannabis company) as far as we know.

We won't be getting 100m a year at all from the naming rights, nobody will. We might get 20m a year and 30m if we are really lucky.

How do you know there hasn’t been talks or offers? Not everything is reported in the media. More negativity from you as usual.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
How do you know there hasn’t been talks or offers? Not everything is reported in the media. More negativity from you as usual.

Well, I am guessing the fact that Cardoner had to explain and sort of advertise the whole initiative at the conference held by Harvard University a couple of days ago was pretty telling. I'd think if there had been many serious offers we wouldn't be going all over the place trying to sell it.

Common sense tells me right now when the economy is on the verge of a collapse, few companies have extra money to spend on stuff like naming rights.

Vilarrubi

Well, I am guessing the fact that Cardoner had to explain and sort of advertise the whole initiative at the conference held by Harvard University a couple of days ago was pretty telling. I'd think if there had been many serious offers we wouldn't be going all over the place trying to sell it.

Common sense tells me right now when the economy is on the verge of a collapse, few companies have extra money to spend on stuff like naming rights.

Right now because of the virus yeah, but your original post sounded like the usual doom and gloom. Barca is Barca, we’ll get a top deal for naming rights just like we did from Nike with the shirt and the Rakuten sponsorship.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Right now because of the virus yeah, but your original post sounded like the usual doom and gloom. Barca is Barca, we’ll get a top deal for naming rights just like we did from Nike with the shirt and the Rakuten sponsorship.

My doom and gloom is warranted, especially when it comes to our finances. To say otherwise is really playing ostrich and hiding its head in the sand.

Yes we got a top deal from Nike (the 2nd best in the world) but our jersey sponsor deal with Rakuten was not one of the best at all, standing at 55m a year (both Real Madrid and Manchester United have better deals than us and even PSG got 50m from Accord) and I remember we had a hard time finding a sponsor at the price we wanted (Pique came to rescue in the end and got us connected with Rakuten, rumor has it). When it comes to our naming rights, we were initially looking for 300m for a period of 10 years several years ago and last year it was apparently 300m for 20 years, so go figure.

Of course we have big potentials commercial-wise as we are the most popular sports club in the world (measured by social media followers and activities), however our commercial, especially sponsorship portion of the revenue could have been more for sure. Not sure whether it is because the club doesn't have the right people to take advantage this huge popularity and translate it into money or something else.

Vilarrubi

My doom and gloom is warranted, especially when it comes to our finances. To say otherwise is really playing ostrich and hiding its head in the sand.

Yes we got a top deal from Nike (the 2nd best in the world) but our jersey sponsor deal with Rakuten was not one of the best at all, standing at 55m a year (both Real Madrid and Manchester United have better deals than us and even PSG got 50m from Accord) and I remember we had a hard time finding a sponsor at the price we wanted (Pique came to rescue in the end and got us connected with Rakuten, rumor has it). When it comes to our naming rights, we were initially looking for 300m for a period of 10 years several years ago and last year it was apparently 300m for 20 years, so go figure.

Of course we have big potentials commercial-wise as we are the most popular sports club in the world (measured by social media followers and activities), however our commercial, especially sponsorship portion of the revenue could have been more for sure. Not sure whether it is because the club doesn't have the right people to take advantage this huge popularity and translate it into money or something else.

Not disagreeing with you on the first point. Wages are ridiculous, overspending on players etc every Barca fan with common sense knows this.

But if you look at the deals in more detail they’re not half as bad as you make out.

For a start you said it yourself, our deals are only behind United and Real, is that a bad thing, being 3rd highest in the world? lol secondly our deal with Nike was made in 2016 which at the time was number 1 in the world and runs til 2023. Real‘s deal with Adidas was made in 2019 which is only 15m euros a season more and runs til 2028 which means we have the opportunity to top their deal 5 seasons earlier than them. Surely you realise that market growth played a factor in Madrid’s being 15m higher 3 seasons later, just like transfer fees and everything else in football. The same with our Rakuten deal, Madrid’s Emirates deal was made a season later. Literally nothing to see here, our naming rights will be a top deal just like our other deals were at the time they were made.

About Coronavirus, it will affect most top clubs in a similar way, no ones denying that.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
https://www.palco23.com/clubes/deud...rente-al-examen-financiero-post-covid-19.html

A pretty telling graph. The left is revenue and the right is net debt.

net-debt.jpg

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
How are we going to pay for the new stadium?

Good question. As far as I know, the debt shown here does not include any future financing we need to secure for the bulk of the Espai Barca project (projected at 880m last time I checked) while Real Madrid's does factor in the 300m they already borrowed for theirs, if I am not mistaken. I guess best case scenario we will be postponing it for at least a few more years while we try to secure funding, no matter who becomes the next president.

Tepid water

That 300million on Dembele and Countinho wasnt a great investment was it?

Paid absolute top money, humiliated the club by tapping up players and got left with almost no return on investment.:lol:

Tepid water

More than a club?

Well Barca had very good relations with Dortmund and Liverpool. Indeed, Liverpool had worked with Barca on improving their analytics department and in the redevelopment of the camp nou.

If a club repays good relations by undermining the clubs and using second rate tactics of player stiles and mysterious injuries.. ...what do people expect when it lol goes hideously wrong?

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
More than a club?

Well Barca had very good relations with Dortmund and Liverpool. Indeed, Liverpool had worked with Barca on improving their analytics department and in the redevelopment of the camp nou.

If a club repays good relations by undermining the clubs and using second rate tactics of player stiles and mysterious injuries.. ...what do people expect when it lol goes hideously wrong?

Really? Like how?

Sailor Mars

More than a club?

Nothing wrong with what Barca did. Liverpool deserved it after what they did to Southampton regarding Van Dijk.

Home of Barca Fans