FC Barcelona Finances

Leo_Messi

Not sure if this is the best place to put this as this FT article speaks to our strategies for the future but it did touch on the financial implications.

Very good read and it made me feel real good. Say all you want about Bartomeu and Co. but I can't praise them enough for their focus on analytics and innovation.

https://www.ft.com/content/908752aa-3a1b-11e9-b72b-2c7f526ca5d0

Wanted to post that article as well a few days ago but forgot doing it. Financial Times is a reputable newspaper and their report was a good read indeed.

My criticism of the board was never the part that evolves around the economy, innovation, analytics, technology, even the Espai project etc. but more their sporting handling of the football section from 2013 to 2017 and that of the basketball section.

However outside of the insane Coutinho transfer we are improving in terms of player sales and purchases. For instances the players that we have bought in the past 2 summers have been overall great and much better than usual. Now we just need to return to a genuine Cruyff sporting model that I feel that we are losing a bit in particular with Valverde as our manager and Pep Segura around.

Devils

Interesting. For a layman like me, I don't get the part about us not contributing capital to this investment fund. Where would the money come from then, and exactly how do we benefit from it?

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/barcelona-news-technology-startup-investment-fund

Money would come from private investors.

-They would be looking for a ROI, potential exposure to these new technologies/innovations, or solely PR purposes and partnerships .

-For example say Barca was setting up a fund to invest in innovative sport nutrition companies. Maybe some big name conglomerate that has a big stake in global sports nutrition i.e. PepsiCo would be interested in contributing to the fund.

-I guess there are some public economic agencies that could contribute also, for the sake of spurring economic growth, in the region i.e. Cataluyna, but early stage investment is widely regarded as high risk/high reward so getting money from these agencies is more complicated in early stage tech.

-We would benefit from the fund through investing in equity and debt investment and receiving an ROI through exits, mergers and acquisitions.

To put it in the simplest way possible:

-Say PepsiCo contributes 1m to invest in sports nutrition companies. The terms here is key, it could be an donation, where they run a PR campaign and market a partnership with FC Barcelona to help advance sports nutrition or it could be more of loan to the fund where they expect a ROI i.e. interest payments.
-Say we invest in this money in two companies (500K each) for an equity stake
-5 years down the line, one of these companies goes fails but the other one becomes quite successful and the 500k of equity we initially bought is now worth about 2m.
-Since PepsiCo is our investor we can introduce this company to them so they can get 'first dibs' on the company should they be interested in acquiring the technology.
-Now say this successful companies undergoes a merger or acquisition and we get paid out our shares 2m.
-We can pay back PepsiCo the money on the agreed terms i.e. interest etc...and then we pocket the rest for ourselves.
-So what was initially a 1m investment in two early stage companies (one failure and one success), gave us a ROI of 2m.

A lot of logistics missing in that example, but the general concept of it is how it works.

FC433

^No idea. I am hoping someone will explain our financial situation to us. The report is a little bit confusing, I think.

George_Costanza

Translate? Haha. What does this mean? In simple way.

The Net debt to EBITDA has been 0.68 which is great! The Net debt to EBITDA Ratio is used to determine how easily a business can pay interest on its outstanding long/short debt. So if it's above 3 or 4, it means we are in trouble to pay our debts.

Net debt to EBITDA ratio= net debt or Liabilties/EBITDA

FinBarcelonafan

The Net debt to EBITDA has been 0.68 which is great! The Net debt to EBITDA Ratio is used to determine how easily a business can pay interest on its outstanding long/short debt. So if it's above 3 or 4, it means we are in trouble to pay our debts.

Net debt to EBITDA ratio= net debt or Liabilties/EBITDA

Thanks for explaining! Very complicated stuff.

Home of Barca Fans