Thomas Lemar

Jombi

His price is already through the roof, though. Might as well let him mature at Monaco a bit longer.

yeah, I wanted him a year ago, when his price was reasonable. But as usual, we do nothing, and instead buy mediocrity that wont improve us. We will now be forced to pay at least 60m euros if not more for Lemar.

If he keeps a straight head then yes as he is so complete. But he still has few minutes in the Ligue 1. He started a dozen games tops last season.

Monaco will probably sell one of Lemar & Bernardo Silva this summer... I need to ditch Nice and watch Monaco more. Huge credits to Jardim, who made Monaco incredibly resilient defensively at first, and now turned them into an offensive juggernaut.. And inspired them with the ability to raise their game in clutch matches. All with a lot of humility.

Jombi

If he keeps a straight head then yes as he is so complete. But he still has few minutes in the Ligue 1. He started a dozen games tops last season.

Monaco will probably sell one of Lemar & Bernardo Silva this summer... I need to ditch Nice and watch Monaco more. Huge credits to Jardim, who made Monaco incredibly resilient defensively at first, and now turned them into an offensive juggernaut.. And inspired them with the ability to raise their game in clutch matches. All with a lot of humility.

Lemar's quality is obvious. Just like Ousmane Dembele was. Only takes a few games to see the quality of these types of players.

The only way we can afford players like Lemar, Fabinho etc going forward is selling players for at least 50-70m euros next summer. We have spent huge amounts on incoming garbage in the last few years. I cant see us getting the revenue needed to spend big this summer.

He plays as a (left footed) wide left midfielder in Monaco's 4 4 2. Has also played on the right a couple of times, but not nearly enough to judge imo. In barça he could have Neymar's role or Iniesta's.

navidjaan

Would rather have Bernado Silva (probably more expensive), as he seems more capable of playing in midfield (right?). Either way, I think both are pretty alike Rafinha or Denis position wise if they come to Barça. Wingers/AM's trying to adapt at CM. Not sure if any of Lemar og Silva are needed.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Same argument can be used for Verratti if he ever becomes available.

We have this and that midfielder, he's not needed. If there's a player available who's already better or potentially sensational, and he doesn't cost an arm and leg, then you sign him. You make space for him.

Nothing has convinced me that Denis or Rafinha are good enough to be long-term starters, but at least we have another season and hopefully a better system to judge.

Would be nice if Lemar stays put for another season too then.

But that's not how you plan for the future. Quality > quantity

Always.

You can have Denis, Gomes and Rafinha, and I actually rate the former two, can check it out in their threads, but if there's a player available who's younger, better and with a far higher ceiling, I wouldn't hesitate for a second.

khaled_a_d

Same argument can be used for Verratti if he ever becomes available.

We have this and that midfielder, he's not needed. If there's a player available who's already better or potentially sensational, and he doesn't cost an arm and leg, then you sign him. You make space for him.

No,Verratti has a clear position in Barca system. Same goes for Pogba for example back when we had arguments about signing him.
I am actually starting to think we might need a RW more than midfielder as I am starting it is time to accept Messi being Iniesta replacement. His time as RW is over and with Roberto as our RB having a winger on that side might be of our best interest. And it will be easier to get one who fit the team than a midfielder.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
No,Verratti has a clear position in Barca system. Same goes for Pogba for example back when we had arguments about signing him.
I am actually starting to think we might need a RW more than midfielder as I am starting it is time to accept Messi being Iniesta replacement. His time as RW is over and with Roberto as our RB having a winger on that side might be of our best interest. And it will be easier to get one who fit the team than a midfielder.

Iniesta is still going to be there for another 1-2 seasons, so Messi is not moving from that position right now unless you change the entire system to accommodate both. Would be easier to get a more adept attacking RB who can provide a proper presence on that right flank. Roberto is not that.

Think about the Real Madrid left wing. Cristiano runs to the middle to get in scoring positions all the time, but Marcelo is absolutely dominant and attracts so many opposition defenders.

Obviously not easy to get someone like Alves or even Marcelo as those kind of players don't grow on trees, but signing someone who can do half of that would be enough.

Roberto is not that kind of a player and I don't blame him. The guy is a midfielder. Lately his defending have been shoddy too.

As for Verratti having a clear position in the team, then so would Lemar if he proves himself to be a better Attacking Midfielder than any of the ones we have available. That's my point. Quality > Quantity. The club or some fans could argue we don't need Verratti either because we got so many midfielders, but that's not true.

One thing is for sure though. I will definitely try to follow this Monaco team instead of Dortmund or other Premier League games.

Last edited:

Jombi

Lemar was great in midfield when Monaco played 4-3-3, his range of passing is fantastic, so I am not worried about that at all. He is comfortable on the left, middle and right. He would be a versatile player able to play numerous positions like Iniesta used to do, but I would consider him a replacement for the current Iniesta as well. One thing is for sure, the strategy of signing players who can only play one position is a bad idea. We need quality players and quality players need playing time. The more versatile they are, the more playing time they get. We cant have 22 fantastic players but we can have 15 fantastic players and some good players.

Hell, I'd even urge us to consider Almamy Toure for the RB as well. Basically, Monaco have all the players we need, lol. I wanted us to sign Sidibe last summer instead of Digne as Sidibe can play on both LB and RB, Monaco signed him instead, and Sidibe's price has double since then, but his versatility has less value for us now.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

He would be a versatile player able to play numerous positions like Iniesta used to do, but I would consider him a replacement for the current Iniesta as well. One thing is for sure, the strategy of signing players who can only play one position is a bad idea. We need quality players and quality players need playing time. The more versatile they are, the more playing time they get.

It is all about the quality & fit in the system. Versatility is good but it it can also be bad if you don't excel in at least one position in our system. i.e it is gr8 when both conditions are met.
Look at Arda for example,guy is no doubt a quality player for big clubs(a starter and argubly a star in a team winning Liga and reached CL final),signed based on the idea he can play as LW/RW/CAM and bought as a replacement of Xavi & Pedro on the bench.but the guy simply excels in 4-4-2 formation and not our system. it is true he can/still play all 3 positions but on low quality and that is why everybody whining about him,same can be said about Denis & Rafinha.
A guy like Verratti would play one position here a but he is everyone daydream in this forum.
Now I am not saying he would be like Arda,didn't watch enough him to say that, Wish that I had the time to watch Monaco more to judge myself. In general he is actually one of the players I liked from the very small sample size I watched and wish you are right that he can excel as AM in our 4-3-3 and we can grab sign him in such case

As for Verratti having a clear position in the team, then so would Lemar if he proves himself to be a better Attacking Midfielder than any of the ones we have available. That's my point. Quality > Quantity. The club or some fans could argue we don't need Verratti either because we got so many midfielders, but that's not true.

One thing is for sure though. I will definitely try to follow this Monaco team instead of Dortmund or other Premier League games.

I didn't argue against that,just saying that you had a bad example tbh. navid talked about fitting to system not quality

Iniesta is still going to be there for another 1-2 seasons, so Messi is not moving from that position right now unless you change the entire system to accommodate both. Would be easier to get a more adept attacking RB who can provide a proper presence on that right flank. Roberto is not that.

Think about the Real Madrid left wing. Cristiano runs to the middle to get in scoring positions all the time, but Marcelo is absolutely dominant and attracts so many opposition defenders.

Obviously not easy to get someone like Alves or even Marcelo as those kind of players don't grow on trees, but signing someone who can do half of that would be enough.

Roberto is not that kind of a player and I don't blame him. The guy is a midfielder. Lately his defending have been shoddy too.

Sadly enough,I think Iniesta shouldn't be a starter next season. Xavi has shown us before we shouldn't overuse players. It is really tough to remain Barca starting midfielder at the age of 33 and still perform on high level.Don't remember anyone who has done it be tbh.

Home of Barca Fans