Leroy Sane

M

MessiCam

Well my point is that having this kind of variety is a good thing. Why would you bring Brandt from the bench? Its like subbing in Gomes in midfield :lol:

I don't think it makes much sense to only bring nr. 10 / second striker kind of players for the wings, it would help to have at least one fast winger that can dribble. But it is what it is now.
The wing role, much like the 9, has evolved significantly since 4-3-3 became mainstream.

There are very few wingers who stay glued to touch line. Most cut in and play in the half spaces now. It also why I prefer Malcom to Sané.

Well my point is that having this kind of variety is a good thing. Why would you bring Brandt from the bench? Its like subbing in Gomes in midfield :lol:

I don't think it makes much sense to only bring nr. 10 / second striker kind of players for the wings, it would help to have at least one fast winger that can dribble. But it is what it is now.

I would hunt results like this:

Neuer
Boateng - Hummels
Kimmich - Kroos - Hector
Müller - Reus
Brandt - Gomez/Werner - Özil

In this setup Brandt makes a lot of sense...

MTL_Barca

I would hunt results like this:

Neuer
Boateng - Hummels
Kimmich - Kroos - Hector
Müller - Reus
Brandt - Gomez/Werner - Özil

In this setup Brandt makes a lot of sense...

This setup is completely unrealistic tho. A one man midfield with two 2nd striker type players and Özil on the wing? Brandt in starting 11?

This looks like the kind of stuff Löw would play vs San Marino or Malta but not the WC

Neuer-Kimmich,Hummels,Boateng,Hector-Kroos,Khedira,Özil-Müller, Reus/Draxler, Werner

Thats like 99% safe. Doubt Brandt will get much playing time during the tournament.

Yannik

Such a variety isn't planned. Germany doesn't play with classic wingers, they squad is not playing this philosophy. A player acting that way would not link up with the rest of the team because they are told to play a different game, it would basically just be abandoning what they are told and improvising with individuality. Reus and Werner already add the necessary pace to the game, Brandt can do that aswell form the bench.

Last edited:
This setup is completely unrealistic tho. A one man midfield with two 2nd striker type players and Özil on the wing? Brandt in starting 11?

This looks like the kind of stuff Löw would play vs San Marino or Malta but not the WC

Neuer-Kimmich,Hummels,Boateng,Hector-Kroos,Khedira,Özil-Müller, Reus/Draxler, Werner

Thats like 99% safe. Doubt Brandt will get much playing time during the tournament.

The question was how I would use Brandt...

I was not talking about the normal set-up that probably will look like you have put it but about one to hunt a result 20 minutes before the end of a knockout match. Then a WW in that combination would be a good shout - Özil is a left foot and could be used as typical winger, too - and Brandt a right foot. Müller and Reus I would put behind the striker. As Müller and Brandt have played that similarily once or twice before against small teams when Löw played with 5 offensives he might be better used to that than a Draxler who for Germany only played on the left or no. 10.

The best way to hunt results is to play Müller as second striker. You could do that with playing Kimmich higher, too. But then you would substitute differently.

Last edited:

Joan

Still think it's Jogi choosing his favs... not necessarily his but the ones who have bonds with others and are committed to the team

FCB1987

Banned
I think Mendy being available is bad for him. Pep likes to have only one of the winger/fullback outside and the other tucking in.

Since Mendy and Sane both like to play down the outside, I could see Sterling being favored there

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
His attitude and effort been poor lately so he won't get back unless he sorts that out.

Home of Barca Fans