Rafinha out for 6 months

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Are you two guys for real?

It would be an absolute joke if the ban was lifted for Barca to register a new player.
The ban was coming and Barca was well aware of it. They opted to sign Suarez for many, many millions instead of strengthening the depth of the team to deal with an injury crisis.
It worked well out for the coming season as miracously, no one important got injured for more than a couple of weeks at best. Luck runs out at some point.
Fifa is not to blame here, only your former sport director and current board.

Huh, Ryu?

At the time we signed Suarez, Rakitic, Mathieu (in theory we could have gotten someone better, but not in reality as none of the CB targets we truly wanted was available), Ter Stegen, Bravo. Those were the positions that we badly needed replacements for, of course if we had the unlimited amount of money like Bayern does (given your financial strengths that everybody is touting that no one can rival) we might have been able to sign a few more players to build up our depth, but we did relatively well knowing the ban was coming.

Chong Li

As for the first part, I know, look at my wording ;) As for the latter, is that a Spanish thing? I never ever heard about such a rule regarding Germany or England, let alone CL.

The signed player would be only allowed to play in domestic competitions (not CL) until January. I believe thats a specific rule by RFEF in case of a season-long injury, don't know about Bundesliga or Prem though..

R

Ryu Hayabusa

Alright, if there really is such a rule for La Liga, I suppose Fifa should not overrule the domestic law in that case.

Zinedinho

Right now I tend to think this is a case of FIFA bending the rules and making stuff up as they go because the people in charge (like most regular people I guess) have developed an antipathy towards Barça out of winning too much over the last years.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Alright, if there really is such a rule for La Liga, I suppose Fifa should not overrule the domestic law in that case.

Right now I tend to think this is a case of FIFA bending the rules and making stuff up as they go because the people in charge (like most regular people I guess) have developed an antipathy towards Barça out of winning too much over the last years.

You guys believing into the conspiracy theories way too much than is healthy.... FIFA is not overruling anything. It's just a rule in Spain! You don't find similar rules any where else.

The players signed so would not be able to play in CL even before we had this transfer ban or before our winning streak started! It's because CL always had this rule of clubs having to be able to play only those 25 players who were registered before the tournament began! If you want to play any other player, it should be some one who's 21 or younger and who has the status of home-grown at the said club!

F

Flavia

You guys believing into the conspiracy theories way too much than is healthy.... FIFA is not overruling anything. It's just a rule in Spain! You don't find similar rules any where else.

The players signed so would not be able to play in CL even before we had this transfer ban or before our winning streak started! It's because CL always had this rule of clubs having to be able to play only those 25 players who were registered before the tournament began! If you want to play any other player, it should be some one who's 21 or younger and who has the status of home-grown at the said club!

Registering Arda for la liga would be an enormous help now. But it won't happen.

Zinedinho

I was referring to the tweet posted by Chong Li: http://www.barcaforum.com/showthread.php/13269-Rafinha-out-for-6-months?p=1532447&viewfull=1#post1532447

I despise Barto but he did appear genuinely moved at Rafinha's injury, shaking his head in disbelief like all of us - credit to him & the board if they succeed in renewing the player as well

Sucks but the good is Arda will be filling in after the winter break

Still, depth is serious issue atm

I agree, I saw his face and really looked like affected by Rafinha's injury. The fact Roma player did not receive a red card is infuriating.

Dexter

Like when rm signed Diego Lopez from Sevilla, when Casillas got injured.
Im pretty sure RM signed Diego Lopez normally during the transfer window in January? Not between two transfer windows like it would be in Barcas' case.

F

Flavia

Im pretty sure RM signed Diego Lopez normally during the transfer window in January? Not between two transfer windows like it would be in Barcas' case.

I don't remember, but rfef allows it to be done. As long as the player is from la liga too.

frog-fcb

Iirc in prem league you can sign an emergency gk. Also if fifa wanna be pricks just register arda on whatever date in november the summer window supposedly closes. Also this is quite convenient for fifa having this issue to potentially take the spotlight of valkey being suspended

Altomonte

Honestly, if a player injures another one with a tackle like that seen yesterday, he should be banned at least 1/3 of the injured players recovery time.

Rafinha will have to work hard to come back. He needs a lot of support from his teammates and Barça fans. He seems to be such a nice guy!

Home of Barca Fans