Dani Ceballos

El Gato

Villarato!
Yep, sold with buyback, hopefully not too massive of a clause in the range of 30-40M. Right choice. I kinda wish he went to a club abroad to get out of his comfort zone and learn a different style of football, but Betis will have Europa League so just as good.

Hope we keep Llorente though. Can't afford to lose 2/3s of our backup midfielders and Marcos should be given more time ahead of Casemiro in the league. Since he's older it's only fair.

serghei

:lol: Dumb player. Goes to a midfield stacked Madrid, rubs the bench or the seats in the stands, and less than a year later goes back to Betis. Horrible career choice.

El Gato

Villarato!
:lol: Dumb player. Goes to a midfield stacked Madrid, rubs the bench or the seats in the stands, and less than a year later goes back to Betis. Horrible career choice.

Going to Madrid, getting used to the surroundings and learning from the objectively best midfielders in the world for an entire year. At 21. Horrible career choice indeed.

I do wonder how salty Cules will get when even if he leaves and becomes available for future transfer he'll opt to go back to Madrid on the basis of seeing the club from within already :lol:

Vilarrubi

Going to Madrid, getting used to the surroundings and learning from the objectively best midfielders in the world for an entire year. At 21. Horrible career choice indeed.

I do wonder how salty Cules will get when even if he leaves and becomes available for future transfer he'll opt to go back to Madrid on the basis of seeing the club from within already :lol:

You can’t say for sure that’s a positive. A year out of competitive football at 21. Could be positive or negative for his development we will have to see.

BarçaBarça

Well, and the fact that he is a huuuuuuuuuuge and militantly Madridista, so one year with the legends of the club surely isn't a waste for him. I wouldn't be surprised if he really fights his way back to topform with the goal of returning in mind. I wish he loved Barca instead, class player no doubt about it.

El Gato

Villarato!
You can’t say for sure that’s a positive. A year out of competitive football at 21. Could be positive or negative for his development we will have to see.

Neither can daft critics say he's done for on the basis of one year of benchwarming and so early in his career. He has at least another decade to go for Christ sake. Assume the worst case scenario for 5 years forward i.e. if he doesn't retire, he goes to play in 2nd division somewhere, because he failed. Do you think he'll genuinely look back at 1 year of Copa Del Rey football as something that destroyed his career? Or rather will he think "damn, I got to play with nearly the entire squad that got to 4 CL finals in 5 years". Only certain group of people choose the first narrative.

No brainer.

Vilarrubi

Neither can daft critics say he's done for on the basis of one year of benchwarming and so early in his career. He has at least another decade to go for Christ sake. Assume the worst case scenario for 5 years forward i.e. if he doesn't retire, he goes to play in 2nd division somewhere, because he failed. Do you think he'll genuinely look back at 1 year of Copa Del Rey football as something that destroyed his career? Or rather will he think "damn, I got to play with nearly the entire squad that got to 4 CL finals in 5 years". Only certain group of people choose the first narrative.

No brainer.

Yeah I never said it was stupid of him to go to RM like others have. I’m saying we can’t be sure either way how it will affect him. Your post was suggesting it was only a positive.
Also I can’t think off the top of my head many young players that have gone to big clubs on loan, haven’t played the season, then gone on to succeed. Tell me if you think of any, genuinely.. because I can’t think of any.

JamDav1982

No brainer.

There is no way Ceballos is sitting chuffed to bits with his year at Real on the bench.

No matter that the team win players want to play.

serghei

Sure, there is a slim chance of him becoming a very good player. World Class is out of the question. Could just as easily be another Canales. Wasn't he supposed to be this great new superstar when Madrid got him? Then he was ditched by Madrid (loan with buyout was it?), got injured and spends his career at medium level La Liga teams.

Sometimes it works, a lot of times it doesn't. Ceballos has the bad luck of not being a very clever dude. If he gets injured, or has a bad season, Madrid will ditch him with ease.

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
Yeah I never said it was stupid of him to go to RM like others have. I’m saying we can’t be sure either way how it will affect him. Your post was suggesting it was only a positive.
Also I can’t think off the top of my head many young players that have gone to big clubs on loan, haven’t played the season, then gone on to succeed. Tell me if you think of any, genuinely.. because I can’t think of any.

Depends where you draw the success line. You mean those that became top stars at top clubs? Or just those that became household name in one league or another? There is a fair lot and most of them did have that young prospect label. At the top level KDB. Even a guy like Victor Moses fits that bill. Mariano and Depay are having a good time at Lyon despite not featuring in big clubs the season prior probably with hopes they'll be sought after by the clubs they left or other big boys.

But take the "bought" argument aside.. Soldado at the age of 22 got 5 league appearances behind Raul, RVN and Higuain, left, had a good, solid career in Spain, got called up for the country at his peak, albeit ended up flopping abroad. Morata had absolutely the same amount of minutes as Ceballos each season in 12/13 and 13/14, and managed fine. Having this benchwarming season at relatively young age is absolutely normal for U-23s and more often these are the sort of players who succeed. I could bounce the ball back and say how many "failed" Madrid players U-23 who featured the same amount of time as Ceballos did you can name..?

[MENTION=15262]serghei[/MENTION]
Players like Canales, Sahin or even Pedro Leon were either too pussy or too foolish to make it at that level and got verified quick in training and on the pitch. Has absolutely nothing to do with your "poor career choice" stuff. As if it even makes any sense to pass judgement on a 21-year old, and bringing up a guy whose health prevented him from making ANY career choices he wanted... It just makes it plain you're still wee bit salty over the fact he chose one team over another.

A guy like Odegaard fits this comparison better and with him too it's far too early to pass judgement or calling him "not very clever" based on the sole fact he got himself affiliated with a big club at the early stage. It was crystal clear from Dani's recent interview that he has his priorities straight, is in the right frame of mind and takes positives from this season at Madrid.

serghei

[MENTION=15262]serghei[/MENTION]
Players like Canales, Sahin or even Pedro Leon were either too pussy or too foolish to make it at that level and got verified quick in training and on the pitch. Has absolutely nothing to do with your "poor career choice" stuff. As if it even makes any sense to pass judgement on a 21-year old, and bringing up a guy whose health prevented him from making ANY career choices he wanted... It just makes it plain you're still wee bit salty over the fact he chose one team over another.

A guy like Odegaard fits this comparison better and with him too it's far too early to pass judgement or calling him "not very clever" based on the sole fact he got himself affiliated with a big club at the early stage. It was crystal clear from Dani's recent interview that he has his priorities straight, is in the right frame of mind and takes positives from this season at Madrid.

You can say what you want, but the man made a stupid choice. At Barca he could've played a lot more and be a double Champion now with matches played. At Madrid he's been a spectator and now he's on his way back to Betis. It's not about being salty. Everybody can see the Ceballos ain't too bright.

El Gato

Villarato!
You can say what you want, but the man made a stupid choice. At Barca he could've played a lot more and be a double Champion now with matches played. At Madrid he's been a spectator and now he's on his way back to Betis. It's not about being salty. Everybody can see the Ceballos ain't too bright.

Nope, not everybody. Just you projecting your frustration over having to deal with Rakitić and Gomes while a talented kid snubbed you. And he won Supercopa and still has a chance to win the CL.

Stoichkov1

Nope, not everybody. Just you projecting your frustration over having to deal with Rakitić and Gomes while a talented kid snubbed you. And he won Supercopa and still has a chance to win the CL.

Maybe you meant Paulinho and Gomes, Rakitic is a good player despite his flaws.

Home of Barca Fans