WC Qualifers 2018 - Europe

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I dont know much about Guidetti, i just assumed that Sweden were around the same level as us without their super striker, but thats clearly not the case.
Norway sure is suffering from anglophilia, but i would say that they have made a transition to more technical players, doesnt seem to have helped much.
I guess we are just that bad, huh?

Had some bad coaches too. I don't think the team is this bad, but they generally seem clueless out on the field.

Get a couple of proper ball winners in the midfield and pacy wingers and good FBs. Can change a lot. Play deeper and focus on fast transitions, playing on the counter. Instead of playing with slow jack of all trades, master of none type of players.

Morten

Had some bad coaches too. I don't think the team is this bad, but they generally seem clueless out on the field.

Get a couple of proper ball winners in the midfield and pacy wingers and good FBs. Can change a lot. Play deeper and focus on fast transitions, playing on the counter. Instead of playing with slow jack of all trades, master of none type of players.

Then again, counter attacks and running up and down the wing is typical English, no?
But yeah, we do have many players that dont really excell at anything, really, just mediocre all over the place.
I think we should begin to build our team around Ødegaard, as he is clearly the only talented midfielder we have in this country. I know he is still young, but there is no hope for the current group of players anyways, nothing to lose.

Messi983

@DonAK @Morten

How do you rate Sander Berge? Haven't seen him played yet but I've heard good things about him and Sevilla is apparently very interested. They already wanted to sign him last summer if Nzonzi would leave.

DonAK

Then again, counter attacks and running up and down the wing is typical English, no?
But yeah, we do have many players that dont really excell at anything, really, just mediocre all over the place.
I think we should begin to build our team around Ødegaard, as he is clearly the only talented midfielder we have in this country. I know he is still young, but there is no hope for the current group of players anyways, nothing to lose.

Not exactly. The emphasis on physicality and long balls and all the other shit is the reason for Norway's downfall. Something like Germany 2010 is what I'm envisioning. Still need technical players for that who are smart and know what to do instead of players who only know how to run fast.

Ødegaard need to be braver with the ball. He's struggling right now. He moved too early and to the wrong club. Should have gone to Ajax or even PSV. Should have followed Christian Eriksen.

You either move to a club like that or you stay until you get to a level where you're ready for bigger things like Forsberg.

He did neither.

@DonAK @Morten

How do you rate Sander Berge? Haven't seen him played yet but I've heard good things about him and Sevilla is apparently very interested. They already wanted to sign him last summer if Nzonzi would leave.

Brightest midfield talent IMO. Perhaps the best Norwegian talent right now. A very smart player who's physically dominant and got decent technical skills. I think Sevilla tried to sign him this past summer too, but Genk refused sell him.

I'm a bit wary of these players though as most seem to be a bust later on, but if I had to pick one player out of Ødegaard, Berge, Samuelsen, Zekhnini and every other young Norwegian talent right now, I would pick Sander Berge to become a decent player at the highest level.

That Sevilla move might be a year or two too early for him.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Not exactly. The emphasis on physicality and long balls and all the other shit is the reason for Norway's downfall. Something like Germany 2010 is what I'm envisioning. Still need technical players for that who are smart and know what to do instead of players who only know how to run fast.

Ødegaard need to be braver with the ball. He's struggling right now. He moved too early and to the wrong club. Should have gone to Ajax or even PSV. Should have followed Christian Eriksen.

Brightest midfield talent IMO. Perhaps the best Norwegian talent right now. A very smart player who's physically dominant and got decent technical skills. I think Sevilla tried to sign him this past summer too, but Genk wouldn't sell him.

I'm a bit wary of these players though as most seem to be a bust later on, but if I had to pick one player out of Ødegaard, Berge, Samuelsen, Zekhnini and every other young Norwegian talent right now, I would pick Sander Berge to become a decent player at the highest level.

That Sevilla move might be a year or two too early for him.

Long ball football has never really been that common in English football. Certainly not in recent years.

Wimbledon used to do it and few probably a few others cant think of but none of the top teams have been winning that way really.

United under Fergie were all about breaking quickly and wide players, Wenger at Arsenal wants passing, none of Chelsea managers were long ball, neither have Liverpool or City played like that.

When think of long ball teams of past Norway in 90s took it to extreme that think of first.

DonAK

Long ball football has never really been that common in English football. Certainly not in recent years.

Wimbledon used to do it and few probably a few others cant think of but none of the top teams have been winning that way really.

United under Fergie were all about breaking quickly and wide players, Wenger at Arsenal wants passing, none of Chelsea managers were long ball, neither have Liverpool or City played like that.

When think of long ball teams of past Norway in 90s took it to extreme that think of first.

Not necessarily just long ball, but being overly reliant on physicality rather than technical skills.

That's kind of my point though. Few English teams doing it now and Norway took it to another level trying to copy some of them years ago. Still struggling to get out of that mentality. I'm not talking about Premier League teams, but Championship ones too. A lot of people here who support lower league English clubs as well.

When I was younger and played football, 70% of the trainings was about running, stamina, physicality. When you're a kid or a teen, you should work more on your technical skills as physical ones can be developed later. Here until recently, they didn't do that.

DonAK

It can take years, decades for your systematic changes to reap the rewards of it.

JamDav1982

Not necessarily just long ball, but being overly reliant on physicality rather than technical skills.

That's kind of my point though. Few English teams doing it now and Norway took it to another level trying to copy some of them years ago. Still struggling to get out of that mentality.

When I was younger and played football, 70% of the trainings was about running, stamina, physicality. When you're a kid or a teen, you should work more on your technical skills as physical ones can be developed later. Here until recently, they didn't do that.

Even the idea of being overly reliant on physical rather than technical skills is overplayed.

Majority of teams have tried to play football and top teams have always sought technical players. Just dont think they have ever really got their hands on the best ones in recent years to compete with very best.

Norway still trying to play the way the old boy with the wellies had them playing?

Morten

Nice that the board didnt sack Høgmo until the qualifier was already over for us.....piss of Semb!
Decent match, should have won more.

raedkuwait

hi, can some one explain to me please, when portugal plays switzerland, do portugal have to win by at least
2 goals or more meaning if 2 teams have the same points do they take head to head matches or just goal
difference to break the tie? same goes for holand vs sweden does holand still have a chance to qualify if they
beat sweden?

Home of Barca Fans