Barça fined €30,000 by UEFA for Catalan Independence Banners during 2015 CL Final

Yannik

(1) "Host associations and clubs are responsible for order and secutrity both inside and around the stadium before, during and after matches. They are liable for incidents of any kind and may be subjects to disciplinary measures and directives unless they can prove that they have not been negligent in any way in the organisation of the match.".
(2) "However, all associations and clubs are liable for the following inappropriate behaviour on the part of their supporters and may be subject to disciplinary measures and directives even if they can prove the absence of any negligence in relation to the organisation of the match: "
- e.) “The use of gestures, words, objects or any other means to transmit any message that is not fit for a sports event, particularly messages that are of a political, ideological, religious or provocative nature will not be tolerated.

The flags were "Esteladas" so in fact there were political motives behind them.
That way UEFA stands correct, Barca could possibly however appeal against their responsibility in organizing this match, as it was on neutral ground. Not sure who is in charge there then.

Zinedinho

The flags were "Esteladas" so in fact there were political motives behind them.
That way UEFA stands correct, Barca could possibly however appeal against their responsibility in organizing this match, as it was on neutral ground. Not sure who is in charge there then.

Remember "je suis Charlie", a message that was protrayed massively at various stadiums? How is that not political or ideological? What does it have to do with the sport? Mind you, I agree with "je suis Charlie" as a defense of free speech and against terrorism, but the criteria UEFA is trying to apply is a slippery slope that easily leads to double standards.

The difference here is that "je suis Charlie" was at the moment defended by the European status quo.

Yannik

Remember "je suis Charlie", a message that was protrayed massively at various stadiums? How is that not political or ideological? What does it have to do with the sport? Mind you, I agree with "je suis Charlie" as a defense of free speech and against terrorism, but the criteria UEFA is trying to apply is a slippery slope that easily leads to double standards.

The difference here is that "je suis Charlie" was at the moment defended by the European status quo.

There's your answer. They apparently make a difference between controversial topics, and topics that everyone agrees with anyway and are therefor not provocative. Just like promoting gay rights would probably not be fined by UEFA. Indipendence flags and all sorts of stuff can cause controversy though, since like 50% have this opinion, 50% the other, and some get overly heated on these topics.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
The only ones crying about it is the Spanish Gov.

Maybe they should have treated Catalunya better throughout their history instead of dicking around and then wondering why the independence movement is getting bigger and bigger.

I do however understand UEFA's position too, but don't think it's so provocative that they had to take this measure.

Last edited:

XaviMessiGirl

I mean I guess it's understandable to try to keep political messages out of stadiums, but it's not like it's something racist or discriminatory, or promoting violence (things that should definitely be punished). I can see both sides but I think the decision to punish the club was harsh.

DennyCrane

I mean I guess it's understandable to try to keep political messages out of stadiums, but it's not like it's something racist or discriminatory, or promoting violence (things that should definitely be punished). I can see both sides but I think the decision to punish the club was harsh.

The problem with rules like this is that they're too vague. Promoting racism etc. is already covered in Art. 14 of the UEFA DC; prohibition of violence is covered in Art. 16 a) - d), f) and h). So what is the actual scope of application for Art. 16 e) of the UEFA DC ?

[...] the use of gestures, words, objects or any other means to transmit any message that is not fit for a sports event, particularly messages that are of a political, ideological, religious, offensive or provocative nature

What does "unfit for a sports event" even mean; as it is this rule is a gateway for arbitrariness. In practice this rule translates to: Whatever message is not congruent with the status quo and the political mood du jour of the general populace is unfit for a sports event. Needless to say, the rule is pretty much clotted capriciousness.

Galning

Estoy seguro de que el próximo año podemos hacerlo mejor. Confío en nuestra sociedad y creo que van a hacer bien.

La lengua de esta pagina web es el ingles.

We got as big a fine as the hooligans at the Euros :tata: We are UEFA's and FIFA's bitch. Whatever happened to those Atlético/Real Madrid incoming transfer bans? Right.

Home of Barca Fans