Barça fined €30,000 by UEFA for Catalan Independence Banners during 2015 CL Final

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Yeah, totally. As I said before, this is different from playing the game at Camp Nou where we have (some levels of, certainly not total) control over what the fans bring in. This was at Berlin Olympiastadion, come on! UEFA should fine itself!

But I am glad that we won't be further penalized like closing a section during one of the CL group home games.

i_bleed_blaugrana

Yeah, totally. As I said before, this is different from playing the game at Camp Nou where we have (some levels of, certainly not total) control over what the fans bring in. This was at Berlin Olympiastadion, come on! UEFA should fine itself!

But I am glad that we won't be further penalized like closing a section during one of the CL group home games.

What is surprising me is how quiet we have been in commenting or responding to it. Perhaps it was because the fog of the election put all matters on hold somewhat (Arda excluded obviously) but honestly, we are going to see the real Bartomeu now. This is a matter that will force him to either reinforce the club's political undertones or he will continue to brush it under the rug and make no fuss over it to try to shift away from politicizing the club.

Personally, I expect him to take the latter approach, and this whether he intends to do it or not, further removes Laporta's lasting legacy on the club. I'm not necessarily saying its a bad thing in this particular issue, my only concern is that it will be another deterrent for people like Puyol, Abidal and particularly Cruyff to try and get involved and make some middle ground.

Yannik

From what I know, the flag in stands wasnt a normal catalan flag like even Barca uses for their kit coloring, but a different one.
This is the catalan independentist flag. its an illegal symbol of wanting to break apart a country and counts therefor as a political call.
And as we all know the UEFA rules say that this sort of politcal symbolism will be getting fined, no matter if its palestinian or catalan or any other sort of indipendence flag, and the club itself is the one who takes the cost of it.
The rule applies to everyone and now Barca got hit by it, bad luck, but 30k should be spare money for them anyway

Last edited:

i_bleed_blaugrana

I just feel like fines should only be imposed if its a inciteful political message that starts a conflict. Otherwise, your just punishing free speech and like, fuck that.

silvia

wasn't Barto a lawyer? seems getting much fines after he elected.
isn't this repealed or negotiated or something?
I mean, how much in Berlin would think it is independence symbol, if the person doesn't make a speech publicly or making picket that says so? there are hell lot of clubs that are based on a region.
it looks normal cheering tools to me.

Yannik

I just feel like fines should only be imposed if its a inciteful political message that starts a conflict. Otherwise, your just punishing free speech and like, fuck that.

Free speech is usually starting a conflict though. The whole thing came with several songs about seperation by the fans in the stands. Its a hot topic, so you could safely say its an inciteful political message.

Eetu

Adormit
More of an empty gesture than anything. UEFA gets to play non-discriminant, we got extra exposure for the cause on the cheap. Next time just bring more esteladas.

Zinedinho

I'm not pro-independence and I find the "independència" chants tiresome, but this is draconian policing.

And no, the independence flag is not "illegal". It's just not representative of any administration, which is very different from illegal.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
What is surprising me is how quiet we have been in commenting or responding to it. Perhaps it was because the fog of the election put all matters on hold somewhat (Arda excluded obviously) but honestly, we are going to see the real Bartomeu now. This is a matter that will force him to either reinforce the club's political undertones or he will continue to brush it under the rug and make no fuss over it to try to shift away from politicizing the club.

Personally, I expect him to take the latter approach, and this whether he intends to do it or not, further removes Laporta's lasting legacy on the club. I'm not necessarily saying its a bad thing in this particular issue, my only concern is that it will be another deterrent for people like Puyol, Abidal and particularly Cruyff to try and get involved and make some middle ground.

The club did respond:

http://www.fcbarcelona.es/club/deta...barcelona-en-relacion-a-la-sancion-de-la-uefa

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
Fuck UEFA. There were no problems, no violence nothing. So fuck them.
Pay the 30k and show the flags again in next year's CL final.

Home of Barca Fans