Carles Perez

khaled_a_d

He is 21, he was one of the oldest players to play in UYL actually when he did last year.
If he is comfortable with staying with Barca B I've no problem, but I doubt he has future with 1st team at all

Porque

The B team needs him to stand a chance of promotion. Best attacker this season. Hopefully he recovers quickly and on form.

khaled_a_d

The B team needs him to stand a chance of promotion. Best attacker this season. Hopefully he recovers quickly and on form.

Hopefully the B team doesn't get promoted. Worst thing that has ever happened to B team was caring about moving to 2nd division

xXKonan

Really feel that he should have taken the Benfica offer.

Decent talent but not good enough to make it to the first team.

Porque

He is 21, he was one of the oldest players to play in UYL actually when he did last year.
If he is comfortable with staying with Barca B I've no problem, but I doubt he has future with 1st team at all

Really? I think it is good to be in Segunda if we have the right blend of senior talents on each line to blend with the La Masia boys. Last seasons problems were inexperienced signings who were not good enough, injuries and bad veterans. Oh and Gerard Lopez

But it is a perennial cycle for the B teams to float between SegundaB and Segunda in recent years. Not just ourselves but also Villarreal B, Sevilla Atletico have had similar cycles.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Really? I think it is good to be in Segunda if we have the right blend of senior talents on each line to blend with the La Masia boys. Last seasons problems were inexperienced signings who were not good enough, injuries and bad veterans. Oh and Gerard Lopez

But it is a perennial cycle for the B teams to float between SegundaB and Segunda in recent years. Not just ourselves but also Villarreal B, Sevilla Atletico have had similar cycles.

Look at almost every team that made it to 2nd division, and you will see it is the same time they struggled to produce talents to 1st team, be it Seville, Bilbao, Barca, Villarreal or even RM to some lesser extent.
All teams are developing talents at much better rate when they are in 3rd division or even 4th division, we struggled to develop talent badly during the 5 years spain in 2nd division even with the perfect mix veterans and La Masia kid.
Theoretically it seems good to put team in 2nd division, but by now there is enough evidence to prove otherwise in reality.

Porque

Look at almost every team that made it to 2nd division, and you will see it is the same time they struggled to produce talents to 1st team, be it Seville, Bilbao, Barca, Villarreal or even RM to some lesser extent.
All teams are developing talents at much better rate when they are in 3rd division or even 4th division, we struggled to develop talent badly during the 5 years spain in 2nd division even with the perfect mix veterans and La Masia kid.
Theoretically it seems good to put team in 2nd division, but by now there is enough evidence to prove otherwise in reality.

I'm not sure though that being in Segunda is worse for developing players. I think we relegated because we didn't have the necessary talents nor the signings. Of course there is a question of sustainability if we only rely on La Masia players.

I would argue if we get the balance right, that there is leverage in our advantage in being in the second division compared to the B division. That leverage would be scouring the second divisions of Spain, France, Portugal for the next Ndombele's, Pepe's, etc before they move to Ligue 1 side's, and also not facing the bureaucratic issues with Roland and Gabriel, and lastly avoiding the bureaucratic issue with Wague while also being able to sign as many african players as we like.

That is where I see the potential in being in the Second division, where our budget compared to what Villarreal and Sevilla can spend on their B teams can be to our advantage.

The counter point is that we would limit La Masia players in the B team bar the very best, which may cause some players to look for greener pastures.

khaled_a_d

I'm not sure though that being in Segunda is worse for developing players. I think we relegated because we didn't have the necessary talents nor the signings. Of course there is a question of sustainability if we only rely on La Masia players.

Again, for all what we know in past 2 decades, I think it is much safer to say that our own talent has failed badly in comparison when we were in 3rd or 4th division. And the same can be said in almost every other Liga team that had B team promoted in segunda.
This is way more important than any other B team signings, because I would remind you that players like Marlon didn't have a problem with B team being in 3rd division, and if a talent out there think highly of himself he would refuse 2nd division anyway. And even for those who are ok with 2nd division but not 3rd there is always the option of buy and loan.
One last thing, how many players you have seen Barca signing for B team from France & Portugal? I remember a couple of Portuguese players (Ie and someone else) and most of our buys was for B team was either from SA (never had a problem for 3rd division) and Spain who again are most likely was playing for 3rd division team themselves.

Porque

Again, for all what we know in past 2 decades, I think it is much safer to say that our own talent has failed badly in comparison when we were in 3rd or 4th division. And the same can be said in almost every other Liga team that had B team promoted in segunda.
This is way more important than any other B team signings, because I would remind you that players like Marlon didn't have a problem with B team being in 3rd division, and if a talent out there think highly of himself he would refuse 2nd division anyway. And even for those who are ok with 2nd division but not 3rd there is always the option of buy and loan.
One last thing, how many players you have seen Barca signing for B team from France & Portugal? I remember a couple of Portuguese players (Ie and someone else) and most of our buys was for B team was either from SA (never had a problem for 3rd division) and Spain who again are most likely was playing for 3rd division team themselves.

I get what you are saying. I just think we have an opportunity to generate a sustainable model with the B team that keeps the team in Segunda, and where the recruits are scrutinizingly scouted. Every LaLiga123 club bar Deportivo spent less than 4m euros in signings this Summer. That is a nominal budget for us.

I mentioned countries like France because their was a Sport (or MD) article that those countries will be our focus markets going forward. Pepe was playing Ligue2 3 seasons ago (20 years old). Players like Alexis Claude-Maurice (20) could be recruited for this B team before they go and prove themselves in Ligue1 and their price skyrockets.

I may be wrong and it may be workable at SegundaB with less pressure and lower quality opponents. Or I may be right and there is an opportunity to explore. We can leave it at that and get the topic back on Carlos Perez.

xXKonan

Interestingly this has gone a bit under the radar but there was a rumor a couple of months ago and a few days ago on MD that Perez could very well be promoted and stay with the first team this season.

But with the arrival of Griezmann and possibly Neymar, I can't see this happening though.

Messi983

Even without Griezmann and/or Neymar promoting him would make no sense. It's better for him to play regular at Barça B and be called up for Copa games or when needed (injuries, suspensions).

Unless we must promote him to use a club option and extend his contract for further 2 years (it's expiring next year otherwise). But then it would make more sense to loan him to bottom table La Liga (or maybe even better a Segunda) team like we did with Cardona last year. It's true Cardona is 3 years older but I think if he can stay healthy he'll make a better career than Perez.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans