Christian Benteke

khaled_a_d

Benteke made a big difference when he came on today.

I disagree with you Khaled Modern day football does have room for an old fashioned no. 9 in the mould of Benteke, Lukaku, Drogba etc. Especially for certain systems and tactics or formations. In a 4-2-3-1 an old fashioned No.9 is quite vital I'd have thought. Drogba is the prime example of this.

Modern football isn't about one system or tactic. Of course everything evolves but in football there will always be room for an old fashioned No.9 for teams who play a certain way. Of course for a team like Barca they'll never employ such a tactic but the likes of Real or Bayern or Utd could do and have done in the past.

In regards to Benteke I hope he can stay fit because he is definitely suited to a Klopp team.

Past like when? I am talking about the last 5-8 years ,Benzema has been RM starting no 9 for 7th year now . and he is the type of strikers I am talking about .Bayern has used it with Mandzukic only in the past few years and he has been underwhelming for them in comparison to the rest of the team .Muller many times has actually been used instead of him . failed even in A.Madrid and not doing so fine in Juve
Drogba?come on now .players younger than him has retired already .And Drogba was acrually faster than people give him credit for and at the later stage of his career his passes improved drastically .
Lukaku and Benteke aren't playing in a what I've meant by "highest level " .by that I mean teams competing to win CL not team competing to qualify to it .no offense intended . same for Dzeko,Toni and Klose right now too

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Past like when? I am talking about the last 5-8 years ,Benzema has been RM starting no 9 for 7th year now . and he is the type of strikers I am talking about .Bayern has used it with Mandzukic only in the past few years and he has been underwhelming for them in comparison to the rest of the team .Muller many times has actually been used instead of him . failed even in A.Madrid and not doing so fine in Juve
Drogba?come on now .players younger than him has retired already .And Drogba was acrually faster than people give him credit for and at the later stage of his career his passes improved drastically .
Lukaku and Benteke aren't playing in a what I've meant by "highest level " .by that I mean teams competing to win CL not team competing to qualify to it .no offense intended . same for Dzeko,Toni and Klose right now too

Depends on your definition of a No.9 doesn't it.

Chelsea had Drogba and now have Costa - for me both No. 9's

City had Dzeko and now have Bony. Both No.9's

Arsenal have Giroud a No.9

Real have Benzema who I class as a No.9 but others may disagree

Atletico had Falcao, Costa and now Martinez all No. 9's

Bayern have Lewandowski a No. 9

PSG have Ibrahimovic for me is a No.9

Lyon have Lacazette a No.9

Dortmund have Aubameyang a No.9

So top teams do have them.

khaled_a_d

Depends on your definition of a No.9 doesn't it.

Chelsea had Drogba and now have Costa - for me both No. 9's

City had Dzeko and now have Bony. Both No.9's

Arsenal have Giroud a No.9

Real have Benzema who I class as a No.9 but others may disagree

Atletico had Falcao, Costa and now Martinez all No. 9's

Bayern have Lewandowski a No. 9

PSG have Ibrahimovic for me is a No.9

Lyon have Lacazette a No.9

Dortmund have Aubameyang a No.9

So top teams do have them.

OLD FASHIONED NUMBER 9 .
Most of those are more of modern players who are fast and know how to play outside the penalty area ,how to make a pass and exchange positions and movements with the wings etc .those weren't criteria of an old fashioned number 9 whose solo job to just wait for the ball and score .like RVN ,Vieri,Crespo,Batistuta etc
Number 9 is generally said for strikers .even Barcelona have Suarez man who is no 9 :lol:

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
OLD FASHIONED NUMBER 9 .
Most of those are more of modern players who are fast and know how to play outside the penalty area ,how to make a pass and exchange positions and movements with the wings etc .those weren't criteria of an old fashioned number 9 whose solo job to just wait for the ball and score .like RVN ,Vieri,Crespo,Batistuta etc
Number 9 is generally said for strikers .even Barcelona have Suarez man who is no 9 :lol:
you have mistaken poachers for number 9s

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
OLD FASHIONED NUMBER 9 .

Like a poacher or a target man?

Home of Barca Fans