Anthony Martial

ASordidGod

I see it get thrown a lot but I never get any examples. What are his attitudes? Martial's media presence: posts pictures of himself in a swimming pool with his daughter, basically. What does he say to the english media? Nothing. Doesn't say shit. How does he perform on pitch? Tracks back, sticks to his position, and doesn't fight/argue with officials like our golden boys Suarez and Neymar (when he was here) do. Wants to move out of his club, but instead of forcing it he's willing out to fulfill his contract; a true professional. Whereas Dembele acted like a child.

I keep hearing "attitude problems" but he is literally far better than any of the drama queens we have and constantly go for in transfer windows.

I think partly at least he's accused of having 'attitude' problems because of his natural demeanor, which is a bit sulky, slow to smile. Either way I think he'd be a great signing, either as a LW with Coutinho dropping back to cm, or as competition for Suarez, a genuine rotation option and possible starter, unlike Paco.

Laplacian

I think partly at least he's accused of having 'attitude' problems because of his natural demeanor, which is a bit sulky, slow to smile. Either way I think he'd be a great signing, either as a LW with Coutinho dropping back to cm, or as competition for Suarez, a genuine rotation option and possible starter, unlike Paco.

Exactly, that's my instinct too. He doesn't smile, he doesn't lash out like his teammates, he's not into theatrics - he has a very "stoic" demeanor. People then extrapolate things from his "body language" and apply it to his game "oh, he's a lazy footballer" when he constantly tracks back and makes runs or make assumptions about his personality. It's annoying when many of these descriptions are far from the truth.

It's the same problem with Ozil, he "looks lazy" therefor he is lazy on pitch, when that's far from the truth.

ASordidGod

Exactly, that's my instinct too. He doesn't smile, he doesn't lash out like his teammates, he's not into theatrics - he has a very "stoic" demeanor. People then extrapolate things from his "body language" and apply it to his game "oh, he's a lazy footballer" when he constantly tracks back and makes runs or make assumptions about his personality. It's annoying when many of these descriptions are far from the truth.

It's the same problem with Ozil, he "looks lazy" therefor he is lazy on pitch, when that's far from the truth.

Yeah, those kind of lazy inferences really annoy me. Like, oh look, he's shouting, he must really care. Or, he's kicked someone, he must be brave/tough. But you can care deeply without resorting to histrionics, and you can be brave and barely tackle. Hell for me brave isn't about making a fifty fifty ball (though undeniably useful too), it's about being progressive, taking the ball under pressure. But I digress. :lol:

Icarium

Lifestealer
He will be an upgrade over Paco. Lot of potential but cautious about his progress. If the price is right wouldn't mind signing for him as long as we get one midfield signing.

defyqa

Yeah, those kind of lazy inferences really annoy me. Like, oh look, he's shouting, he must really care. Or, he's kicked someone, he must be brave/tough. But you can care deeply without resorting to histrionics, and you can be brave and barely tackle. Hell for me brave isn't about making a fifty fifty ball (though undeniably useful too), it's about being progressive, taking the ball under pressure. But I digress. :lol:

What about "He has a beard, he must be a fighter" - anonymous about some #7...

FC433

I do think that I was overreacting a little bit, but what Givenchy and I were discussing is not something off. There are many others who have commented on his attitude. Not caring off and on the pitch is not something new, we have got Carrasco as an example. He is extremely talented, but his attitude did not help. There are many other examples, my point is that we should not underestimate the player's character.

There is Halilovic, who showed excellent skills, but he is not a hardworking player, like Pedro, for example. Communications is very important and unfortunately, Martial does not show that he is good at based on what we see. He might be a totally different person, but we can only discuss what we know.

It should not prevent us from attempting to get him, but we should be a little bit cautious. However, we need to also understand that living in the UK is a little bit challenging for many players and working with Mourinho is not helping.

Laplacian

You keep saying "examples" but you're not giving anything, you're just being vague. Here I'll give you some actual examples, from different time periods:

http://www.squawka.com/en/news/anth...ford-jose-mourinho/900661#IL0uG3v1D22D9bav.97

http://www.*********/en/news/watfor...nce-with-hard-work/1287kxkgm6k6m18idb2vwjltuy

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/34534193

https://www.101greatgoals.com/news/jose-mourinho-thinks-anthony-martial-working-harder-mail/

Every time Mourinho "challenged" his position, it seems that Martial reacted by working even harder. Especially this year, his starting positions were earned through man of the match performances and being a constant threat. Man United fans have questioned his "attitude" because they have turned on him, they believe a player should continue to "fight for his position" regardless of treatment for years. They simply lack empathy and are honestly just mad he wants to leave. A few months ago they were praising Martial for his work ethic.

Last edited:

FC433

I think you misunderstood me yet again. I never said he has poor attitude. I said he could have poor attitude, which is concerning. If he had poor attitude, I would never say that we should get him. If you go one page back you can see that I wanted him.

We can never "us" know if he has poor attitude, but there are many reports discussed that:
- https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/f...-training-Premier-League-Gossip-Transfer-News
- http://www.itsroundanditswhite.co.uk/articles/whats-wrong-with-anthony-martial
- https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/953398/Man-Utd-transfer-news-Anthony-Martial-Juventus

They are recent and there are many other sources, but that is not enough. We know that Mourinho is not the best coach for young players. I remember KDB saying that he talked to him only once and that when he said that he wanted to leave the club.

However, the club "Barcelona" can investigate the issue further/ deeper by talking to AM or people who know him.

Can he have attitude problems? Absolutely yes.
Does he have attitude problems? I do not know.

FC433

I want him at Barcelona. MU want him out, there is no offer for him yet and Jose M wants Perišić. 50m to 65m should be enough to bring him.

Givenchy

This guy must be fuming that because of Mou he didn't make the French squad. it'll probably convince him even more to want to leave

he has to force his exit, Moureen will end up ruining another 2 years of his career if he stays loyal to his contract

Home of Barca Fans