Barca says goodbye to Xavi

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
FC Barcelona prepared tearful tribute to Xavi, attended by colleagues of the past and present, directors, friends and relatives. “Never in my wildest dreams did imagine the things that have happened to me here” said the midfielder

2qcea.jpg

Xavi was surrounded by family, friends, colleagues and former colleagues, including his close friend Carles Puyol, representatives of the other sports teams, including Víctor Tomás and Juan Carlos Navarro, and several directors, led by current president Josep Maria Bartomeu. In an emotional speech, the first team captain commented on much he would like to leave the club with another Champions League medal in his possession and that “I hope this is not goodbye, but more a case of see you later … I arrived here 25 years ago and never in my wildest dreams did I imagine the things I would experience. I am the one who should be grateful. I am so happy.”

Xavi's farewell event video:

Some 120 reporters were in the room to hear him add that “the nicest thing I’m taking away with me are so many wonderful friendships.” He went on to name a long string of different people that have played a role in his career, with especially warm words for his former youth coach Joan Vilà, current manager Luis Enrique, and former team-mates like Oleguer, Jorquera and Marc Crosas. And not forgetting two late managers, Tito Vilanova and Luis Aragonés, both of whom had such an impact on him as a footballer.

_CGG3898.v1433350341.jpg

He also thanked his family, including his wife Nuria, adding that “there are not two of us going to Qatar but three” in reference to the recent announcement that the couple are expecting their first child.

“Thank you to Barça and everyone who makes Barça possible” he concluded. “I’m eternally grateful.” The event ended with Xavi being presented with a spectacular photo of the Camp Nou on the day that the fans unfurled a huge banner in dedication to him. The image shows the buildings of Barcelona in the background and symbolizes how the whole city wishes him all the very best on the next stage of his footballing journey.

Tears and smiles

Xavi Hernández was not the only person to appear on the stage. Club president Josep Maria Bartomeu introduced the event by describing Xavi’s extraordinary work-rate and love for the club, and how the doors to the Camp Nou will always be open to him should he wish to return. “You have caused so many different emotions” he said. “And this is the day when the club wishes to thank you for everything you have done and tell you that we hope to see you back here very soon”.

There wasn’t a dry eye in the house when the player with whom Xavi’s career has been most intimately connected, Andrés Iniesta, stared speaking: “Captain, team-mate friend” he said. “It’s hard to believe that when we start training next season, you won’t be here with us … It has been a privilege to play by your side. Thank you for thinking about the team rather than yourself. Thank you Xavi for everything that you have given us.”:

Farewell video:

Eetu

Adormit
Sad to see him go, but great to see it happen on a high note and in a proper manner. Yet still...

:cry:

Unique player and club legend. There's no feeling bad over a few missed individual prizes; Xavi's legacy is enormous as is.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
On a positive note: Noone could have imagined this scenario for a farewell. So happy for him, well deserved.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Xavi leaves an unimaginable legacy. Farewell, but not a good bye. He'll be back.

Home of Barca Fans