Sergio Busquets

BerkeleyBernie

I love Iniesta, of course. And Pique, Puyol, and Alves all also important to a team that was about teamwork. But the three players I mentioned uniquely defined their positions on the field and made this tactical system possible.* There was/is no one else able to perform the roles they defined. You take any of them off the field, the system no longer existed- a variation, but nothing close. You could feel the rhythm go out of the game if they were out with injury or simply subbed off. Iniesta is also brilliant, and, combined with the others, devastatingly effective, but his position was not as crucial to be filled by him specifically.

*Alves also fits this criterion of uniquely definitely his role, but also not as crucial as the other three to make the system function. My ranking of importance to the system:

Xavi
Messi
Busquets
Alves
Iniesta
Valdes

JamDav1982

There is no way Xavi was more important than Messi.

Xavi was phenomenal but Pep has been fairly close to replicating his system at both Bayern and City but what he has never got close to is someone doing what Messi did.

Ursegor

World Champion
Argue in the other thread that Pep did not coach well at Bayern against Real, Barca and Atletico in the CL semis.
Argue in this thread that Pep has replicated Barca 08-12 at Bayern and City.

Is that what people here call "pulling a JamDav"?

BerkeleyBernie

Messi was/is the most important to winning, but not to the system. The most important part of the system is to always have numerical superiority, 3v2. Xavi was essentially 2 players in 1 because of his constant running/positioning. He was simultaneously front/back and left/right. Without him, the system breaks down. Not to mention his other aspects of controlling the game.

Would the team score/win more with Messi on/Xavi off than Xavi on/Messi off? Yes, Messi is far more decisive to the bottom line. But Xavi was the most important to the system.

JamDav1982

Argue in the other thread that Pep did not coach well at Bayern against Real, Barca and Atletico in the CL semis.
Argue in this thread that Pep has replicated Barca 08-12 at Bayern and City.

Is that what people here call "pulling a JamDav"?

Aye regular phrase that....

Never claimed Pep replicated Barca 08-12 quite clearly said has never managed to replicate Messi.

Try harder if going to attempt to act smug.

In many aspects in terms of dominating the ball in midfield he has got fairly close to what Barca did.

Last edited:

RMU ReBorn

I love Iniesta, of course. And Pique, Puyol, and Alves all also important to a team that was about teamwork. But the three players I mentioned uniquely defined their positions on the field and made this tactical system possible.* There was/is no one else able to perform the roles they defined. You take any of them off the field, the system no longer existed- a variation, but nothing close. You could feel the rhythm go out of the game if they were out with injury or simply subbed off. Iniesta is also brilliant, and, combined with the others, devastatingly effective, but his position was not as crucial to be filled by him specifically.

*Alves also fits this criterion of uniquely definitely his role, but also not as crucial as the other three to make the system function. My ranking of importance to the system:

Xavi
Messi
Busquets
Alves
Iniesta
Valdes
Alba would be right up there in top 5 by the end of his career , if he is used properly .

Joan

Iniesta is in the class of Busi, but still far away from the other 2 geniuses.

Doesn't feel right when you say it.

Messi is clearly class of his own, but for me, Xavi and Iniesta enter the same class. Both of them brilliant, Xavi with quite a unique skill set - but Iniesta more of a clutch player. You may argue Xavi's better, but not by much, nor 'far away' from the later. :)

RMU ReBorn

Xavi was more important to the system . Without him Barca wouldn't tick. Skillfully Iniesta is the best spanish player ever .

Ursegor

World Champion
Aye regular phrase that....

Never claimed Pep replicated Barca 08-12 quite clearly said has never managed to replicate Messi.

Try harder if going to attempt to act smug.

In many aspects in terms of dominating the ball in midfield he has got fairly close to what Barca did.

If you believe the only difference to Pep's coaching during Barca and after Barca was Messi then why do you enter the other thread with such a strong opinion how it's "fucking crazy" to think of Bayern being well coached in 3 semi-finals. Other than attention-seeking. If Pep did not coach well in 3 consecutive semi-finals he did not replicate Barca, even if you say "bar Messi". I know Messi is your jail out card here but 2 CLs in 3 years as well as being considered the greatest club side ever and "not being well coached in 3 semi-finals" is not just about Messi.

JamDav1982

If you believe the only difference to Pep's coaching during Barca and after Barca was Messi then why do you enter the other thread with such a strong opinion how it's "fucking crazy" to think of Bayern being well coached in 3 semi-finals. Other than attention-seeking. If Pep did not coach well in 3 consecutive semi-finals he did not replicate Barca, even if you say "bar Messi". I know Messi is your jail out card here but 2 CLs in 3 years and "not being well coached in 3 semi-finals" is not just about Messi.

Never said the 'only difference is Messi' so keep up.

I said he has got fairly close to replicating the system in midfield etc but never had anyone like Messi.

Entered that thread as I do indeed think it is 'fucking crazy' to make out Pep coached those ties well and was unlucky.

Your the one attention seeking and trying to make some point you dont even understand.

Scurry along you boring fucker.

Ursegor

World Champion
Pep did not coach well in 3 consecutive semi-finals but he replicated peak Barca's midfield performances, just "did not have someone do what Messi does".

It's sad you need this sort of attention on a football forum.

JamDav1982

Pep did not coach well in 3 consecutive semi-finals but he replicated peak Barca's midfield performances, just "did not have someone do what Messi does".

It's sad you need this sort of attention on a football forum.

Nope I said he got 'fairly close' to replicating the system he had at Barca with Bayern and City now but the one thing he has not been able to replicate is Messi.

Yes I think it is 'fucking crazy' if people try to make out Pep coached those ties well and Bayern were unlucky.

Glad that is cleared up.

Keep the attention coming I really do love it.

gatsu

This guy may be more inportant than Messi. Tonight he wasnt on the bench. But playing mina and digne in central defense forced him to play often as a third CB. His absence from the core of the game really showed.

Home of Barca Fans