Sergio Busquets

Truthist

He really does try to be too clever near his own penalty area too much for my liking. Quite a few times today Russia were nearly in courtesy of him over elaborating when there's really no need.

FCB50

Banned
non factor again but you'll still have people trying to sound smart by saying that he's the "most important player in the world" or something like that

Barcilliant

He was incredibly important in Peps system and played well until about two years ago.
Nowadays he is just passenger. He has no pace, energy or strength. How many times have we seen our midfield overrun in the cl with pacy players just gliding past Busi as if he doesn't exist. He gets bullied off the ball, offers nothing in the air and is an ordinary tackler. Offers nothing offensively either.

Casemiro is definitely better. I wanted Fabinho but I would take Kante also.

We need to phase out the old players or we are going to take some almighty whippings in the cl. I'm talking 0-5 and 0-6.

ASordidGod

He was incredibly important in Peps system and played well until about two years ago.
Nowadays he is just passenger. He has no pace, energy or strength. How many times have we seen our midfield overrun in the cl with pacy players just gliding past Busi as if he doesn't exist. He gets bullied off the ball, offers nothing in the air and is an ordinary tackler. Offers nothing offensively either.

We need to phase out the old players or we are going to take some almighty whippings in the cl. I'm talking 0-5 and 0-6.

Possibly Busquets is on the decline. Possibly. Much more likely however is that he's playing in a system, both for Barca and Spain, that doesn't suit him. He's an average cm, but a world class dm. The best in the world still in my opinion. But he needs to play deeper. He's the link between def and mid; as it is he keeps getting caught ahead of the ball and is too slow to recover.

TitoTata

Banned

We need to phase out the old players or we are going to take some almighty whippings in the cl. I'm talking 0-we 5 and 0-6.
If we could get Kante or similar we'd extend Busqs career with us a few more years ..

ManusXavi

I think we must remember that Busquets has not "become a slower sprinter"
He is no different now than 2011.
I am sad Spain lost but I would have been more sad if Busquets had been a reason for the loss. He wasn't. He kept the ball well and passed well. He did fine on the defence. It is the others who did failed to move and be direct on attack.
What I am going to be super critical of is that no one. Busquets included had the balls to take leadership and command directness. That has always been the coaches leadership, Xavi's leadership, Puyols leadership

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Reading this thread gives me a headache.... Seeing Barca fans themselves not having a clue what made this team great and where our true quality lies.

Blanco

Hi, i am reading forums of all big clubs. Die hard Madridista. 90% of madridistas know that Busquets is the best DM , because he is reading the game insanely. You would never be beaten 3-0 in Turin last year if he was playing, the day we play against Barca without Busquets ..all of you will understand why he is the best DM, our midfield will destroy yours if he is not on the pitch. I am reading a lot in this forum and he is the most underrated player here, while in the other club's forum people are dreaming to have him. The most important player in your club with Messi of course, but he is not receiving 2% of the credit that Messi gets. The type of fan who don't like Busquets is the same type of fan, who want Messi to win Ballon Do'r more than Barca to win CL, like some of "Real fans" want the same for Ronaldo. Messi and Cristiano are great, but we see that they are not shining the same way when there is no Busquets,Modric,Kroos,Iniesta and others. We have to appreciate players like Busquets, because he reinvented DM position in football. Sorry for my english!

FCBfan22

Busi is great, but is currently being used only to 65% of his capatibilities thanks to Valverde's 442.

He looked much better in Spanish NT than in our team for most of the season.

ASordidGod

Busi is great, but is currently being used only to 65% of his capatibilities thanks to Valverde's 442.

He looked much better in Spanish NT than in our team for most of the season.

Was still playing too high imo. Needs to sit just in front of the defence. In that position there's no one better. Really hope we try 433 more next season.

Catta

Unpopular opinion: we should sell Busquets

Before you all attack me, Busi is the best DM in the world, he can't be replaced, I would never sell him in normal circumstances. Here is the reason why I would sell him now, Barca is not using his full potential, they are maybe using 50% of his ability. He is not the same player in a double pivot like he is as a lone pivot, and that is a big problem. Busi is still great for Spain, there is no denying that, but for Barca last season he was a defensive liability in some matches, he was making mistakes I have not seen him make since his first season at the club. The main problem is, the club will keep playing a 4-4-2/4-2-3-1 formation as long as Messi is here. While Busi thrives in a 4-3-3, Messi can't play in that formation anymore. He can't play as a lone striker or a RW. If we want to get the best out of Messi we need to keep playing 4-4-2/4-2-3-1, but with that formation Busi becomes a liability. We can either get the best out of Messi or Busi, but not both at the same time. While both are important for Barca, there is no arguing that Messi is much more important.

Busi will be 30 in a couple of days, he is slow, and he is already declining, he doesn't strike me as a player that will have a long career at a high level, 2, maybe 3 more seasons at max. Combine that with Barca not using him properly and you get the picture why I would sell him now, while he still has a big enough price. Personally I would sell him to City for around 100-120 mil, Pep would gladly give that money, and get Kante for around 80. Kante would be the perfect player to play alongside Raki in a double pivot. Our midfield would get much faster, and more aggressive.

We need to start rejuvenating our first eleven, Pique, Alba, Busi, Raki, Messi, Suarez all are around the same age (30-31). All of them will need to get replaced in the next 3-4 years, that is 6 first-teamers that will need replacing at the same time if we don't do it gradually, starting this summer. All of the above mentioned players are much more comfortable in the 4-4-2/4-2-3-1 formation except Busi, that is why he is the first that should be replaced.

Home of Barca Fans