Sergio Busquets

Leo_Messi

Busquets has declined terribly for not only Barça but the national team as well in the past 2 seasons. Physically in particular. Nowadays he is often 1 or 2 steps late. He never relied on his quickness or lack thereof but there are limits to that as well on the highest level. Age is catching him slowly. Some players decline rather fast when reaching their 30's. I am afraid that Busquets will be such a player. I think that more frequent rotations and rest would do him good and solve at least a part of his current problems. Unfortunately I can't see it happening as Valverde lacks the cojones and Busquets seems like a rather stubborn player and would probably do everything in his power not to rotate sufficiently even if that would hurt the team.

Not only that (I have not seen any statistics) but his passing game is likewise in its worst state to date.

He's a Barca Legend, but I cannot believe we gave him yet another contract extension with a pay raise despite him already getting a deal a year ago. :facepalm:

That is the wonderful "modus operandi" of this current board. Sometimes I think that Bartomeu wants to do a "Berlusconi" and turn FCB into ACM. The latter had a retirement home (with all due respect) at one point in time not too long ago. The club is still struggling with the aftereffects of that appalling squad planning. We are very unlikely to reach such lows but that policy of giving long contract extensions and wage rises to older and declining players, regardless of them being club legends or not, will at worst just delay a new winning project/era which should obviously not be tolerated. It's a stupid policy. That's why I prefer the Florentino "treatment". A lot of people were complaining about how Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Alonso, Pepe, Ronaldo etc. left but in hindsight they were all good choices economically and sporting wise. Ronaldo might be the exception but I am not even sure about that (one the long run).

I mean it is criminal that the board refused to sell Rakitic (if rumors were genuine) during the past summer when QSG were ready to offer a large sum of money for a 30 year old declining player. You don't refuse such offers. Rakitic (in his current form) is not worth 100 million euros. Not even 80 million euros. I would sell him for such a price immediately along with a handwritten card showing my appreciation to QSG or any club that is dumb enough to pay such a huge sum for a 30 year old declining player. Anyway we had a discussion about that in the Rakitic thread if I recall yesterday where we agreed but that kind of behavior pisses me off to no end as it screams of incompetence. Something that we have grown used to, unfortunately, with this board.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Unstoppable when he plays against a team that doesn't press him a lot. The problem is that the great teams won't leave him alone like that.

Gnidrologist

Fine? The area he was supposed to be was always free for Levante players to run through like a landing strip before the goals. We were lucky that Messi made the second half irrelevant.

Zidane82

Fine? The area he was supposed to be was always free for Levante players to run through like a landing strip before the goals. We were lucky that Messi made the second half irrelevant.

Trouble is Busqs needs and has always needed some pace around him ... he has Rakitic...

BusiTheKing

He doesn't necessarily need pace around him, he just needs movement. Players that can move on and off the ball. Arthur is slower than Rakitic but offers much more relief because of how active he is and because he can turn and drift around in tight areas.

xXKonan

If he misses Getafe.

"Sorry guys I have to play him in the Copa Del Rey to make up for him missing the Getafe game" :valverde2:

Home of Barca Fans