Sergio Busquets

Vilarrubi

The main problem is, the club will keep playing a 4-4-2/4-2-3-1 formation as long as Messi is here.

Has nothing to do with Messi, Valverde is the reason. We haven't played 4-4-2 for years.

While Busi thrives in a 4-3-3, Messi can't play in that formation anymore. He can't play as a lone striker or a RW.

Don't agree Messi can't play RW, it's a myth. He had 54 goals in 52 games at RW in the 16/17 season and was devastating.

Donatello

Unpopular opinion: we should sell Busquets

Before you all attack me, Busi is the best DM in the world, he can't be replaced, I would never sell him in normal circumstances. Here is the reason why I would sell him now, Barca is not using his full potential, they are maybe using 50% of his ability. He is not the same player in a double pivot like he is as a lone pivot, and that is a big problem. Busi is still great for Spain, there is no denying that, but for Barca last season he was a defensive liability in some matches, he was making mistakes I have not seen him make since his first season at the club. The main problem is, the club will keep playing a 4-4-2/4-2-3-1 formation as long as Messi is here. While Busi thrives in a 4-3-3, Messi can't play in that formation anymore. He can't play as a lone striker or a RW. If we want to get the best out of Messi we need to keep playing 4-4-2/4-2-3-1, but with that formation Busi becomes a liability. We can either get the best out of Messi or Busi, but not both at the same time. While both are important for Barca, there is no arguing that Messi is much more important.

Busi will be 30 in a couple of days, he is slow, and he is already declining, he doesn't strike me as a player that will have a long career at a high level, 2, maybe 3 more seasons at max. Combine that with Barca not using him properly and you get the picture why I would sell him now, while he still has a big enough price. Personally I would sell him to City for around 100-120 mil, Pep would gladly give that money, and get Kante for around 80. Kante would be the perfect player to play alongside Raki in a double pivot. Our midfield would get much faster, and more aggressive.

We need to start rejuvenating our first eleven, Pique, Alba, Busi, Raki, Messi, Suarez all are around the same age (30-31). All of them will need to get replaced in the next 3-4 years, that is 6 first-teamers that will need replacing at the same time if we don't do it gradually, starting this summer. All of the above mentioned players are much more comfortable in the 4-4-2/4-2-3-1 formation except Busi, that is why he is the first that should be replaced.

I don't know what these people think, with whom would you replace Busquets with. If Busquets is bad, any other replacement will be worse. You'll realize it only when he's gone.

Busquets is our spine, you don't sell him. No matter how much you like him or hate him, he's irreplaceable. Whatever he does, its unique and can't be replaced. Kante is an excellent MF, but he would be even worse at Busquets role.

And about him being old, he is 29. He can at least play 4-5 years at top level, maybe more, because his role involves very less running.

Unless someone offers in range of 100M its foolish to seel him.

About rejuvenating, first replace the players that have already declined. If you want to add younger blood, you need to do it slowly, you don't just throw the players on the field against top teams.

Don't sign players like Alacantra, Willian and Paulinho if you want to rejuvenate. Because its not rejuvenating, its just makeshift solution which won't last long.

Last edited:

Joan

Has nothing to do with Messi, Valverde is the reason. We haven't played 4-4-2 for years.

Don't agree Messi can't play RW, it's a myth. He had 54 goals in 52 games at RW in the 16/17 season and was devastating.

2016/17 right side was a mess due to Messi. He abandons the position way too much and drifts centrally.

If he could play there, great. But Valverde didn't try this because he didn't want Messi to play there hut because he couldn't make it work.

Vilarrubi

2016/17 right side was a mess due to Messi. He abandons the position way too much and drifts centrally.

If he could play there, great. But Valverde didn't try this because he didn't want Messi to play there hut because he couldn't make it work.

He's always drifted centrally from RW though because he's not an out an out winger.. I think any problems with the right side is more on the midfield and RB than Messi.

Joan

He's always drifted centrally from RW though because he's not an out an out winger.. I think any problems with the right side is more on the midfield and RB than Messi.

But Messi doesn't just drift centrally, he abandons his position all the time. Stretching the midfield wide etc.

Of course it's on the midfield and RB because there's no one else there more often than not.

Last edited:

Vilarrubi

But Messi doesn't just drift centrally, he abandons his position all the time. Stretching the midfield wide etc.

Of course it's on the midfield and RB because there's no one else there more often than not.

I honestly can’t remember how that was an issue that season.. I went to a few games in 16/17 and watched every other game on TV and all I can remember is how good Messi was.

Can you give me any examples or games where Messi stretching the midfield affected us? Genuine question, I really can’t rememer that well.

Joan

I honestly can’t remember how that was an issue that season.. I went to a few games in 16/17 and watched every other game on TV and all I can remember is how good Messi was.

Can you give me any examples or games where Messi stretching the midfield affected us? Genuine question, I really can’t rememer that well.

No better example than Barca PSG 0:4.

Messi was great (noz that game) but it wasn't the best setup for us.

Vilarrubi

No better example than Barca PSG 0:4.

Messi was great (noz that game) but it wasn't the best setup for us.

I was meaning just Messi’s affect rather than the 4-3-3 in general.. but that comes back to what I’ve thought for a while, a 3 man midfield with Rakitic/Busi/Iniesta was mostly ineffective and even worse without possession... rather than it being on Messi.

I still believe a competent 3 man midfield with Busi as CDM and Messi RW would work. Probably without Roberto RB too.

Also just remembered.. Gomes started at RCM for us that game... says it all really.

Last edited:

Felipetonelo

Barca could bring Kante, play him as a CM to cover the middle and the right area, his energy, speed and stamina should be enough to do that. Let Busquets play as a DM and Messi at RW. I think the main issue would be when Kante goes to right area to cover Messi. In that case, our CF (Suarez probably) should drop to help in the middle.

God Serena

Barca could bring Kante, play him as a CM to cover the middle and the right area, his energy, speed and stamina should be enough to do that. Let Busquets play as a DM and Messi at RW. I think the main issue would be when Kante goes to right area to cover Messi. In that case, our CF (Suarez probably) should drop to help in the middle.

But it's Suarez. He's even less likely to drop back than Messi.

As it is now we can't really rely on those two when we don't have the ball, as I've seen many point out in the past.

Barcilliant

Busquets and Pique are past it. They will do great in 90% of the games but in big matches against cl elite clubs they will be exposed... yet again.

Kante over Busquets anyday at this point in time.

FCBfan22

Busquets is still great when he plays as the sole DM. He had a pretty good tournament for Spain. If we play 4-3-3, he is the best option at DM. He just can't function with another DM next to him.

But, if we want to play predominantly 4-4-2, I think we should get Kante and play Kante-Rakitić in the most important games.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Busquets is still great when he plays as the sole DM. He had a pretty good tournament for Spain. If we play 4-3-3, he is the best option at DM. He just can't function with another DM next to him.

But, if we want to play predominantly 4-4-2, I think we should get Kante and play Kante-Rakitić in the most important games.

Well that's not true. He did win a WC and a EC with Xabi playing right beside him

Home of Barca Fans