Sergio Busquets

Tackle

I have this new theory. Forget the days of "buskets should be a bench player". This guy is not good enough anymore for the bench.

Agreed.

The problem is he can stay here playing every match as a starter until he's 40 if he so pleases. Just got to hope Iniesta convinces the lad to join him in Japan at the end of the season.

ryuken

If he and Pique have any dignity they should just leave already, shameless homegrown who turn into leeches of past glory

Andrew M

I don't think so. Considering how Busi, Raki, Pique etc. are performing, he could have stayed 3 years more if he really wanted to.

I'm not hating on Iniesta or anything. Irreplaceable player. But in his last season his body was well off the pace. He couldn't compete physically anymore

khaled_a_d

This is why Pep, Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol are the greatest legends of this club.

Puyol? He stayed until he -using his own words- found difficulty in daily life activities.
Xavi didn't deserve to be starter since end of 2012 season, only left when he was 35 and lost his starting place on permanent basis while getting a huge offer in Qatar.
Iniesta, you can make a case for him leaving at the right time since club finally signed a replacement in Coutinho (as we thought) but even today Pique/Busquets might be deserving a starting place (or being 1st bench player) due to competition. Performance wise Iniesta left a season or two late.
All 3 are legends, but footballers are very prone in being a bit delusional with who they are. The club need to give them a push.
If we get an elite CB & CM/DM. It will be a clear message to those that it is time to leave and

MTL_Barca

It doesn't make sense to expect players to leave on their own just because they got worse. It would be different if the club wants them to go and they refuse but both are starters and don't even have any real competition. So Busquets should just go to Barto and tell him "i suck, please replace me asap"?

Iniesta and Xavi were 34/35 and already replaced (Rakitic) or about to be replaced (Coutinho, at least that was the plan i guess), that isn't comparable to Busi and Pique being more or less unchallenged starters at the moment.

Nello

It doesn't make sense to expect players to leave on their own just because they got worse. It would be different if the club wants them to go and they refuse but both are starters and don't even have any real competition. So Busquets should just go to Barto and tell him "i suck, please replace me asap"?

Iniesta and Xavi were 34/35 and already replaced (Rakitic) or about to be replaced (Coutinho, at least that was the plan i guess), that isn't comparable to Busi and Pique being more or less unchallenged starters at the moment.

Agree.

Puyol gave everything for this club for more than a decade, and was heavily troubled by injuries towards the end. I think it's reasonable to stop playing football before you completely ruin your body for life. Knee injuries are no joke, and it's not like he just went to MLS of China to chase money and fame. Guy completely stopped playing football.

I disagree (with Khaled) that Iniesta and Xavi stayed for way to long, both offered a lot performance wise in big games. Iniesta always was a big game player, and I remember several games in which Xavi came off the bench and helped us regain control in difficult games.

Home of Barca Fans