Sergio Busquets

Zidane82

FDJ-Arthur-Busquets is too defensive, also causes problems because Arthur and FDJ are way too similar as players in the CM position (dribbling through lines, press resistant, distribution). Put either one of FDJ or Arthur at DM, and the other will have a more "pure CM" position. The third option should be a creative midfielder. Ideally that would be Coutinho but he's shit so we need to look more in the market.

The board would be stupid as fuck to think our midfield's sorted.
I’ve not seen anything similar between Arthur and FDJ .. just think they will compliment each other wonderfully.

Zidane82

Wouldn t it be even better if Busq position was occupied by a mobile, athletic dude? That could be FDJ, if we also
find a solid A-CM option. So why would you sacrifice mobility and speed in order to play Busq?
Why does playing Busq on optimal level require so much maintenance and adaptability? Is it really worth the effort? He is still slow and weak-ish, so defensive liability.

Like BBZ said, DJ and Arthur are not a-CM, we still need one for the future. Ideally "the next coach" would turn on Coutinho, but looks like that won t happen.

I think it’s worth getting another two or three seasons out of Busqs .. sure he makes the odd mistake now and again but he’s still effective at breaking opponents attacks down and setting our attacks going .. I still see moments of brilliance from him and you can hear the crowd react to him when he gets out of tight situations like nobody else can .
He’s been vital for our build up play for ten years or so ..remember Busqs was THE first name on Pep’s teamsheet for very good reason

Last edited:

Tackle

I’ve not seen anything similar between Arthur and FDJ .. just think they will compliment each other wonderfully.

An Arthur, FDJ, Busi midfield would be great at playing triangles in our own half, keeping sterile possession and getting steamrolled by teams with a physical presence in the middle of the park.

Out of the three only FDJ is average defensively. Busi looks like a paralyzed octopus in transitions and Arthur looks like he's about ready to have a stroke by minute 60.

We need to get with the times and finally assemble a well rounded, modern midfield capable of keeping up with demands of an evolving game.

Pure possession tiki-taka is only possible with a peak Xavi and Iniesta. That style of play will never be replicated again.

In the modern game it's just as important for a midfield to be able to defend, have an aerial presence, put in tackles, win duels, play long balls, possess good speed and mobility, be physically formidable and shoot from distance as it is to keep possession and play it short.

Midfield next season in big games should be FDJ(DM), Arthur(CM) and an attack orientated midfielder (Coutinho?).Then we can rotate Busi, Vidal, Alena, Puig, Roberto in these positions.

Judoman

I think it’s worth getting another two or three seasons out of Busqs .. sure he makes the odd mistake now and again but he’s still effective at breaking opponents attacks down and setting our attacks going .. I still see moments of brilliance from him and you can hear the crowd react to him when he gets out of tight situations like nobody else can .
He’s been vital for our build up play for ten years or so ..remember Busqs was THE first name on Pep’s teamsheet for very good reason

Yeah, you ve been repeating this for some time now and yet you didn t answer my questions. "Moments of brilliance" are covered by "odd mistakes". What matters is the stuff in between. I don t think his average play is good enough if we are
going to re-design our midfield (5 years too late). He shouldn t play based on Pep s Barca glory, those days are looong over. You say he has been vital to our build up play and yet our build up play sucks for a long time now. Yes, i know...Rakitic is to blame, which brings me back to my original point....Busq requires a lot of maintenance and adaptation (tactical, personnel) in order to get the best game out of him, which is a weakness on it s own (predictability).

We have Messi who also requires a lot of adaptation, but he also produces on the highest possible level, Busq does not. Let s not forget Suarez, same story..

All these will be here in the next season. It doesn t take a genius to project what kind of game we ll play in the next season, if all 3 are starters. If there are no adequate replacements (ST, a-MC,..) things will get worse and
Valverde will not be the main guy to blame.

abbbs97

I would get Rodri and bench Busquets asap. He's clearly not the same old Busi anymore. Unfortunately, it looks like City are closer to getting him.

Tackle

Can't Pep just buy Busquets while we get Rodri or Ndombele.

I'm not Pep's biggest admirer, but the man is still a good coach with enough common sense.

The current version of Busquets wouldn't get anywhere near Pep's team in 2019. Even he has adapted and evolved to some extent and now opts for Fernandinho as his DM of choice who in addition to keeping possession also has a high work rate, can defend and win duels.

Get a clue mate, even Pep, the man who gave Busquets his first team debut would've binned him years ago. He doesn't put up with mediocrity and that's exactly what Busi is.

FinBarcelonafan

I'm not Pep's biggest admirer, but the man is still a good coach with enough common sense.

The current version of Busquets wouldn't get anywhere near Pep's team in 2019. Even he has adapted and evolved to some extent and now opts for Fernandinho as his DM of choice who in addition to keeping possession also has a high work rate, can defend and win duels.

Get a clue mate, even Pep, the man who gave Busquets his first team debut would've binned him years ago. He doesn't put up with mediocrity and that's exactly what Busi is.

Well said. Busi is playing because his status.

Same could be said for Suarez and Rakitic.

FCB1987

Banned
De Jong's performance against England showed how bang average Busi is these days. The fact that he's still "World Class" or "The best DM in the world" according to so many Barca fans ( or sheep) is laughable.

jamrock

Yea busquets would definitely still be starting for pep, because he wouldn't sit up his midfield & team like a complete jackass.

Arizona Scott

Well said. Busi is playing because his status.

Same could be said for Suarez and Rakitic.

Suarez is still one of the most prolific scorers in the world and has excellent chemistry with Barca players, particularly Messi. He is playing because we are a lot worse with anyone else in his position. Hopefully by next year we do have a legit alternative--we havn't since when, maybe before Pedro left.

I think they are trying to sell Rakitic. Personally I say sell him and Busi, but I think Busi is a bigger problem in terms of lockeroom entrenchment and at least equal in physical limitations when we face someone like City or Liverpool. Busi has a pretty terrible record in the major cup competitions for club and country like the last 5 years--at least Messi and Rakitic helped lesser talent squads to finals while Busi has as good as midfielders and defenders as you could want for country and done squat since 2 Euros ago. Busi has some brilliant attributes, but maybe his weakness a bit covered and legacy enhanced by his best years having Xavi and Iniesta with him--I don't really think as a complete footballer he deserves mention with those two. It is not really "Iniesta-Xavi-Busquets", it was "INIESTA -XAVI"--.......could have been some other players but the excellent Busi fit just fine.

Tackle

Yea busquets would definitely still be starting for pep, because he wouldn't sit up his midfield & team like a complete jackass.

Like I've said before, Pep would have binned Busi years ago.

The Barca fanbase loves to trash on all the other seniors not named Messi, which is completely deserved, but Busi finds himself in this exclusive class as well. Pique, Alba, Suarez and Rakitic are all constantly under fire, but when it comes to Busi, who is quite frankly the worst of the lot by some distance he gets special protection and preferential treatment for some odd reason.

Maybe it's because he was part of that glorious midfield with Xavi and Iniesta. Nostalgia is a powerful feeling.

Or maybe it's because most football hipsters and Cruyff savants love to say that Busi has a "hidden genius" so no matter how bad he plays "real" football fans can still see his ability.

Zidane82

Like I've said before, Pep would have binned Busi years ago.

The Barca fanbase loves to trash on all the other seniors not named Messi, which is completely deserved, but Busi finds himself in this exclusive class as well. Pique, Alba, Suarez and Rakitic are all constantly under fire, but when it comes to Busi, who is quite frankly the worst of the lot by some distance he gets special protection and preferential treatment for some odd reason.

Maybe it's because he was part of that glorious midfield with Xavi and Iniesta. Nostalgia is a powerful feeling.

Or maybe it's because most football hipsters and Cruyff savants love to say that Busi has a "hidden genius" so no matter how bad he plays "real" football fans can still see his ability.

Nobody but nobody comes close to Rakitic for being ineffective and largely anonymous

Home of Barca Fans