Should Chelsea be considered a TOP team?

Should Chelsea be considered a TOP team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hassan Ashas

Note:
By a TOP team, I mean if Chelsea is on the same level at which Real, Bayern and Barca are playing or not? This doesn't mean that if Chelsea is a good team or not. Obviously, Chelsea is a good team but the question is if it is on the same level at which Bayern, Barca and Real are.

The European Football is currently dominated by Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and FC Barcelona.
Whenever a new season starts, these teams are always considered the front favorites for Champions League.
However, there's another team which has emerged after 2003, Chelsea FC.
The team won 2014-15 Premier League and 2012 Champions League and would have won 2007-08 Champions League if Terry hadn't slipped.
Some may consider Chelsea as one of the best team of the current football but for me, it is still ranked at 4th position, way behind Real, Barca and Bayern.
What do you say?
In my opinion, this is how Chelsea players rank up.

Goalkeeper
Neuer > Courtois > Bravo > Casillas

Defenders
Lahm > Dani Alves > Ivanovic > Carvajal
Ramos > Pique > Boetang > Terry
Mascherano > Benatia > Pepe > Cahill
Alaba > Marcelo > Alba > Azpilicueta

Midfielders
Busquets > Matic > Kroos > Alonso
Modric > Schweinsteigar > Fabregas > Iniesta
James > Rakitic > Ribery > Oscar

Forwards
Ronaldo > Hazard > Neymar > Muller
Suarez > Lewandowski > Costa > Benzema
Messi > Robben > Bale > Willian

(^^ This is just my opinion ^^ )

Have your say, please.

Last edited:
M

monamou

Well, they won their domestic leauge so that automatically makes them a top team in my eyes. But in terms of quality they'll never be up there with barca, bayern and madrid as you say. Their also won't ever be a dominant side on every front (like Barca) because of their playing style. I think they always have to give up on either cl or bpl (not good enough to win both at once).

serghei

Of course. Not only do they have money, but they have an identity. Chelsea has a way of playing. It's ugly, but it's an identity.

Antimadridista1

Hazard better than Neymar and Fabregas better than Iniesta :lol:
Terry is a much better defender than Boateng and probably Pique.

And to answer your question, that's quite obvious. Yes.

StarLord

Chelsea were a fearsome performer in Europe from 2004 to 2009. Since then they have gone downhill in Europe, but ironically they managed to win the Big One during their worst season in living memory. Some believe it was sheer luck (I agree with that 95%) others say it was pure grit.

But, since 2010, outside their 2012 fluke-fest, they have been quite underwhelming. Internazionale outplayed them in every respect in the Last 16 in 2010. In 2011, they lost unceremoniously to United in the QFs. In 2013 they could not get past the GS (the only defending champions to ever fail at that stage) In 2014 they reached the semis by beating a rather crappy Galatasaray in the Last 16, then by the skin of their teeth eliminating PSG. Were embarrassed by Atletico in the semis. First a shamelessly cowardly display in the first leg, and then getting thoroughly outplayed on their very own patch by a team with a quarter of their budget. This season's tie against PSG was even more embarrassing for the side managed by the self-styled "Special-One". I don't have to go into any details over that, it is still quite fresh in our memories.

So, to reply to the OP's question: No, Chelsea have not been a great European side in the last 5-6 years or so. They have mostly been quite inept in Europe. As a matter of fact, La Liga clubs such as Atletico and Sevilla won the EL far more convincingly than Chelsea did in 2013.

Last edited:

MaxY

Devil May Cry
There are like 5 top clubs in the world atm : Barca and RM are the top 2 imo, I don't rate Bayern that highly anymore after they conceded 5 to RM in the semifinal last year; then 5 in the semifinal vs Barca this year.
God Tier: Barca, RM
Demi-god tier : Bayern
Tier 1 : Chelsea, PSG
Tier 2: Shitty, ATM and the likes.

raskolnikov

To me its

1: Bayern,Barca,Real, Chelsea
2: Atletico, Juve, Psg
3: City, Arsenal, Monaco, Porto

Chelsea is at the top tier due to their result based style and they are actually solid. For us they are also a stylistic nightmare, this season less than in the past though.

Neymessi

Since everyone are posting tiers

1.Barca,Bayern,Real
2.Chelsea,city,atletico,manu,manc
3.liverpool etc

R

Ryu Hayabusa

To me its

1: Bayern,Barca,Real, Chelsea
2: Atletico, Juve, Psg
3: City, Arsenal, Monaco, Porto

Chelsea is at the top tier due to their result based style and they are actually solid. For us they are also a stylistic nightmare, this season less than in the past though.

Tier 1: Bayern, Barca, Real
Tier 2: Chelsea, PSG, Juve, Atletico
Tier 3: United, Shitty, Arsenal
Tier 4: Monaco, Porto, Sevilla, BVB, Naples, Rome
Tier 5: Donezk, Schalke, Wolfsburg, Ajax, Liverpool, Moscow etc.

raskolnikov

Tier 1: Bayern, Barca, Real
Tier 2: Chelsea, PSG, Juve, Atletico
Tier 3: United, Shitty, Arsenal
Tier 4: Monaco, Porto, Sevilla, BVB, Naples
Tier 5: Donezk, Schalke, Wolfsburg, Ajax, Liverpool etc.
I honestly feel Valencia and Sevilla are at the same level as that of United/City/Arsenal depsite the huge huge money difference.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

I honestly feel Valencia and Sevilla are at the same level as that of United/City/Arsenal depsite the huge huge money difference.

Valencia... yeah, I knew I prolly forgot a couple... :p

Though I definitely disagree in regard to them being the same level. There is a huge gap in reputation among the named clubs, even if Sevilla keeps dominating the EL at will.
Also, Porto is a consitent performer in the CL and even in the CL knockout states. In no way are they below Sevilla or even Valencia.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans