Aleix Vidal

God Serena

This could also give Vidal some time to see if he can improve as a defender. But I don't think the dynamics will change at this point. Lucho will only give Vidal chances if Bob keeps regressing or gets injured.

If Gomes, Arda, Adriano, Mathieu, etc. are any indication at all, Roberto's place is secured no matter how much he regresses. Especially since him even being a RB at all was all Lucho's idea. He's stubborn, and with the exception of Pique in his first season, he hasn't changed his hierarchy a single time based on performances.

So with that in mind I don't see Vidal improving defensively as such an important factor. If Roberto is fit and rested, he will play. We're better off hoping Bob gets it together on both sides of the ball than we are hoping Lucho listens to our internet MVP (BBZ) or anyone else here.

God Serena

"but he is bad defensively"

"hasn't faced tough opponents yet"

"game was already over when he came on"

"muh roberto la masia"

Saving everybodys time by compiling all the excuses here instantly on why not to start him over Roberto.

Each excuse is valid though.

Edit: Except the Roberto La Masia one. Lol

PhilS

Vidal has big limitations defending man to man. No way Lucho will play him against any really good offensive teams. Pretty much the same story with Digne, though Digne might be getting better defensively. Let these guys shine when they can focus on offense, but Roberto and Alba must always play against the strongest opponents.

El Flaco

He's quite good offensively, but Vidal was poor defensively (as usual).

No wonder that Betis created most of their chances from his side and Piqué had to cover for him.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
So did most teams in the last 10 games or so. Roberto marginally better in defence right now.

If it was up to me, I'd play Roberto RCM and keep Vidal at RB. Try that for a couple of games and see if that right side starts clicking a bit more.

God Serena

I'd say at this point Vidal is our only option for RB. Even Roberto seemed happy to not be playing there anymore when he came on.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
I'd say at this point Vidal is our only option for RB. Even Roberto seemed happy to not be playing there anymore when he came on.

Vidal was a RW after Roberto came on, Roberto played RB.
:lol:

Vidal had a good game today. Numerous interceptions and all. Too bad he had no support from the mid field. Poor lad gets the ball but does not find an outlet to make the pass! And he's good offensively too.

I blame Lucho for not playing him for so long.

Today Lucho should have started Roberto as well as Vidal..... Rakitic should have played RCM dumping Arda into the bench where he belongs!!

Too bad we have a stubborn guy for coach who can't seem to digest the fact that the player that he pushed the board to sign does not fit our team..... he still starts him to save his own face!

Pepfan

Vidal had a good game today. Numerous interceptions and all. Too bad he had no support from the mid field. Poor lad gets the ball but does not find an outlet to make the pass! And he's good offensively too.

Today Lucho should have started Roberto as well as Vidal..... Rakitic should have played RCM dumping Arda into the bench where he belongs!!

Too bad we have a stubborn guy for coach who can't seem to digest the fact that the player that he pushed the board to sign does not fit our team..... he still starts him to save his own face!

I think that you be a tactical disaster

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!

I agree, the lineup was fucked up from the start...

BBZ8800

Imo, Vidal would be better (the same as Gomes) if they would get 4-5 matches in a row in a best lineup (but also in the SAME lineup), to click with key players, and also to have more support and better players around them.

A classic MSN, Iniesta-someone-Busi, Alba-Pique-Umtiti/Masch-Vidal lineup would help even to Vidal.

Vidal played 4 times in the last Month, and these are defensive and midfield lines in those matches:
1. Alba-Umtiti-Masch-Vidal
2. Alba-Mathieu-Umtiti-Vidal
3. Alba-Pique-Umtiti-Vidal
4. Digne-Mathieu-Pique-Vidal

1. Busi-Rafinha-Gomes (Rcm)
2. Busi-Turan-Rakitic (Rcm)
3. Masch-Gomes-Denis
4. Rakitic-Turan-Denis (Rcm)

In these 4 matches, Vidal played with RCB near him:
-- Umtiti, Umtiti, Masch, Pique
CB pair:
-- Umtiti+Masch, Mathieu+Umtiti, Pique+Umtiti, Mathieu+Pique
Rcm on his side:
-- Gomes, Rakitic, Denis, Denis/Gomes
Cdm close to him:
-- Busi, Busi, Masch, Rakitic

A guy has zero chances to improve and develop some chemistry and understanding (in movement) with his teammates when more or less, IN EVERY SINGLE game he plays with a different Rcb, differnt Cb duo, different Cdm (Busi's injury) and a different Rcm close to him.

In one match, he has to defend with Umtiti.
3 days later with Pique.
3 days later with Mathieu.
How to develop chemistry, understanding, mind reading etc?

In one match, Cdm is Busi, then Masch, then Rakitic.
RCM close to him with whom he should connect the best is Gomes, then Rakitic, then Denis.

He is weaker in defense, but also, he has zero chances to improve with the current Lucho's management of crazy rotations.

Imo, the same could be said about Denis and Gomes.
Denis plays some matches on the left, some on the right, and he plays with a different Cm partner in each match.

Gomes plays on the left, on the right and as a Cdm often.
With a different CM, CDM, LB and RB partner all the time.

In one match Gomes starts to connect with Vidal, then he has to play with Roberto in the next match.
In one match he clicks with Iniesta, then there is Rafinha/Arda/Raki/Denis near him in the next match.

Totally insane.
Lucho has too many players on his disposal and we all know that he has problems with rotations, picking priorities and similar.
Vidal, Gomes, Denis, they can't click with a team in these circumstances.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans