Trebles in European Football.

StarLord

With another European Treble on the horizon (hopefully by FC Barcelona) what people here think about previous Trebles?

Celtic did it in 1967

Ajax in 1972

PSV in 1988

Man United in 1999

Barca in 2009

Inter in 2010

Bayern in 2013

Barca/Juventus in 2015.

So, which one was the most impressive, and why? Many times United fans will mention that their treble was absolutely awesome because they eliminated Inter in the QFs, Juventus in the SFs and Bayern in the final. Yet they conveniently forget to mention (or completely oblivious to) the fact that Inter finished 8th that season and Juventus finished 7th. Moreover, who was their domestic rival and were they worth anything?

I am of the opinion, that is we win the Treble this season, it will easily eclipse all previous ones, due to both our domestic rivals being more than worthy (remember that Real and Atleti were CL finalists last season and also that they were pretty strong this season as well) and additionally due to our CL qualification path being epic as well. Having eliminated the English champions (this season 2nd) the French champions (who humiliated Mou's Chelsea with 10 men) as well as the German champions, we are now faced with the Italian Double winners.

In short,we have been overcoming mighty rivals all season long. We are just two games away from the Treble that will probably never be bested.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
Celtic won all their titles with homegrown players that were born in the Glasgow area. Pretty awesome too.
But I think a treble in general is a huge accomplishment and I would not rate ours higher than the others.

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
If we win it this year it will most definitely be EPIC ! :)

Can't wait for the CdR final to get our double first, then focus on Berlin!

Bertus

If we win it this year it will most definitely be EPIC ! :)

Can't wait for the CdR final to get our double first, then focus on Berlin!

Not to me. While it isn't barca fault, the fact at least two big barca opponents suffered from lots of injuries made those games less fun to follow and watch than some others.

You can be a fan and just expect to win whatever the means to reach that goal, but you can also be fan of Barca and "football", and as a football fan, you can only be sad when a game becomes less interesting because of some events (like injuries this year).

To me the CL run was not epic. The run in la Liga was more epic than the CL imo.

Don't jump at me people, please. That's just one opinion!

on paper this cl is really close to the most difficult draws.

But yea, psg and bayern clearly weren't at full strength. Whatever though, winning the cl is always epic

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
Not to me. While it isn't barca fault, the fact at least two big barca opponents suffered from lots of injuries made those games less fun to follow and watch than some others.

You can be a fan and just expect to win whatever the means to reach that goal, but you can also be fan of Barca and "football", and as a football fan, you can only be sad when a game becomes less interesting because of some events (like injuries this year).

To me the CL run was not epic. The run in la Liga was more epic than the CL imo.

Don't jump at me people, please. That's just one opinion!

I agree with you to some extent, but the only case where injuries/suspensions really played a role is PSG, Bayern still had a world class 11, and as they got trashed by RM last year with the full team, I don't believe it would have changed that much for us this year either.

Good thing is, history doesn't care about this details, if we win the treble, on paper, it'll be epic ;)

Also don't forget that even with the competition we faced, we didn't scrap by, we dominated all our opponents, there was not a single point in time where we were in danger of being eliminated, none!

xXKonan

The La Liga battle this year was really Special. Considering How far we come since January, and just how tough the league is now.

Sunny Mir

Why is that before our 2009 treble year, it used to take different teams 10-15 years to do another treble? But since our treble there has been 4 trebles(provided we win Copa) in the span of 6 years.
And i was slightly surprised that Real havent won a Treble.

raskolnikov

Why do trebles occur more all of a sudden, this might be 4th in the last 6 years, the other 4 were very rare.
It goes to show how the leagues are getting dominated more by real cl winning candidates.

This one will be the best though, clear domination after anoeta, strong opponents beaten and our second treble win. IF things go that way, we can only hope.
United's treble was the craziest one I seen live.

Edit: damn,t ook to long to post, bit what Sunny mir said basically.

ejuventus

Celtic won all their titles with homegrown players that were born in the Glasgow area. Pretty awesome too.
But I think a treble in general is a huge accomplishment and I would not rate ours higher than the others.

I didn't know about that Celtic's players...very remarkable

and I agree about your sentence, also because, as another user said, you have to see in which moment of the year you've matched others:
f.i., this year, Barça faced Psg without Ibra and Bayern without Robben, Ribbery, and others........said that without taking away any merit to Messi & C who would have come through anyway in may opinion

JamDav1982

Why do trebles occur more all of a sudden, this might be 4th in the last 6 years, the other 4 were very rare.
It goes to show how the leagues are getting dominated more by real cl winning candidates.

This one will be the best though, clear domination after anoeta, strong opponents beaten and our second treble win. IF things go that way, we can only hope.
United's treble was the craziest one I seen live.

Edit: damn,t ook to long to post, bit what Sunny mir said basically.

Would imagine it is down to rotating squads more and developments in sports science allowing players to remain fresher and face more game in a season at a high level.

Also a lot of teams did not used to care too much about their domestic cups, these days with the money in football and the big squads they are expected to try and win these trophies more than in past.

Ghosting

Probably happens more because the bigger teams are getting relatively more and more money compared to the smaller teams which leads to some teams being able to field 2nd teams stronger than others firsts. Therefore more rotation therefore more match fit players ready for all competitions.

JamDav1982

The Celtic players were all born within 30 miles of Celtic Park.

Which is impressive but not ridiculous as that covers most of the population of Scotland at the time.

Home of Barca Fans