Xavi leaving Barca

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Today, FC Barcelona legend and captain, Xavi Hernandez, announced that he will be leaving Barca at the end of the season.

img_eomedes_20150521-142117_imagenes_md_propias_eomedes_z42-U102321043265d3H-U20180564833rfF-911x683@MundoDeportivo-Web-Portada.jpg

Here is what Xavi said when announcing his decision to leave after 18 years of playing for FC Barcelona 1st team

On his decision to move on

"It's a final, difficult decision that hasn't been easy to arrive at. I've agreed this with my wife and family. I think this is the time to leave. That's what I feel.

"The board gave me a wonderful offer to stay here to 2018. In my head and body it's the right time to go – not in my heart as Barcelona is all there is in my heart."I was offered another year but I'd made my mind up. Thanks to the supporters – especially in last few games, they've been brilliant asking for me to stay and I hope I haven't disappointed them. It's time to think about the future, and it's my objective to come back here. This is my home, whether that's as a coach or in another capacity."

"The script has worked out perfectly. We have won the league, the most difficult and special thing to win. It reflects the work of a whole season. I'm very excited to lift that trophy for the last time in front of these supporters. It couldn't have been a better way to end my time here."

"Today. I told the whole squad and manager officially, but I think they generally knew. When me and my family went to visit Qatar I think it was fairly obviously the idea of going there appealed to me."

On his feelings for the club

"This club is my life – I'm dedicated to Barça and I'd like to come back.

"I've been at the club for 25 years. I couldn't have been in a better place. I have very strong feelings for the club.""I'm really happy. I couldn't have had a better career here. I'm delighted with how it has gone. I've made the most of my assets as a footballer. I feel very happy right now, it's just a question of winning these two trophies that are left and saying goodbye to the fans. On Saturday I'd like to say goodbye to them in a special way."

"It's going to be difficult not wearing the Barça shirt. They've been unique, special moments and I've wanted to make the most of all of them. I really didn't want this time to come – I've been dreading it. I'll miss all the lads – they're friends of mine."

"Barça will carry on winning, competing and playing well. History shows that. We've always rebuilt and continued. With me it's the same. They'll bring through new players, sign players and we have a strong group of lads here already."

On his Barcelona career

"It wasn't easy – especially in the early days. There were lots of doubts about me. People didn't believe in me. I was getting credit when we were winning but I was also getting blamed when we were losing; it hasn't all been plain sailing"

"I came in to replace Pep Guardiola – it was a huge responsibility trying to erase the memory of him. Nobody was really his natural successor and I don't think any one person will be a direct successor for me."

"I've just enjoyed myself so much. Playing in Champions League finals, EURO finals, World Cup finals … but I enjoyed myself just as much as I did back in the playground. Could I pick out one game? There have been so many games it's impossible to pick out one single moment."

(source: Uefa)

Barca TV Xavi tribute video:

XAVI_infografic_engokdef.v1432205930.jpg

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
He'll be back. I do hope he takes those coaching licence classes and doesn't waste 2 years in Qatar entirely.

pacp_96

Chief Of Footballing Matters
Still a few more games until we have to say goodbye (at least for now) to this legend. We will all miss you Xavi :cry:

Obiaseti

Thanks for everything Xavi! Hope he goes out with the treble! Really wish he would've chosen any place other than Qatar. Nevertheless a truly great footballer.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I'm also a bit disappointed at his choice but he's too much of a legend for this to mar him.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
When I think of Barca Xavi is the first player and thing in general that comes to my mind. Not Messi, not Puyol, not Iniesta, not Pep, not Catalunya, not Camp Nou but him.
The greatest midfielder of all time and I am proud that he never played for another club in Europe. Thank you Maestro.

sailor

Xavi is unique: he's the only one who is not compared to other midfielders. He was born to exhibite a new ideas on how to controll the midfield and how to set the tempo of a game. He proved that it's not necessary to have a well-build body to controll the game. His skill and inteligence are recognized and admitted by all football critics. He made difficult manoeuvres look so easy.Thank you Xavi for all the pleasant moments you offered us during all these years.Good luck and hope to have you back soon.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I remember when he had that ligament injury in 2005/2006 and many people believed that he'd never return to play as a regular starter.
He went on to play another decade and rarely missed a match.

Legend.

StarLord

He'll be back. I do hope he takes those coaching licence classes and doesn't waste 2 years in Qatar entirely.

I am 90% certain that he will.

I want Lucho to stay put (until Xavier Hernandez finishes his well-paid holidays in Qatar) then pass the mantle to another of our long-list of legends. Surely he will have the necessary qualifications by then as well.

Home of Barca Fans