Who do you think is the better keeper?

• Iker Casillas

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Gianluigi Buffon

Votes: 21 87.5%

• Total voters

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
So Goal did an article on them, asking who you think is better as well as stating some of their own opinions, so as they are the 2 best of their generation I'm curious as to what people on here think.

I think while Casillas has the better trophy cabinet, Buffon is definitely the superior keeper overall, and wasn't under such scrutiny by the time he hit his early 30's. He's in decline now but is still a very good keeper. Plus, Juve were relegated and had to rebuild for years, as well as Italy never really being anything close to how good Spain were.

buffon all the way.
though casillas in his younger prime was something, he'd just pick up the shambles of RM defense and pull an angry face

XaviMessiGirl

Buffon-Casillas.jpg

:lovers:

Anyway, currently Buffon hands down, career-wise it's closer but I think Buffon just edges Casillas.

khaled_a_d

I think Buffon was the better GK throughout his career .been very consistent for so long .
That said I think Casillas legacy is bigger ,and he will be remembered more than the Italian specially in the next generations of fans .he has better highlight reel ,with more trophies

Chainsaw

Killahead
Buffon all the way. Not just saying now that Casillas went downhill way quicker. Always rated Buffon some class above the rest of the top GKs in the past 2 decades.

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism
I like both, i think Gigi. Funny both involved in a penalty shootout not long ago, many pk taken, not one saved :lol:

Only thing i don't like about Buffon is his tendency to punch the ball out for saves and for corners, as it can land anywhere, he's definitely declined as you'd expect, but not as bad as Casillas, who is also younger.

In the age where defenders are woeful at this moment, i think the current crop of goalkeepers now are very good. I know that doesn't have anything to do with this, but just throwing it out there

Last edited:

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
Overall Buffon is one of the best keepers I have ever seen. He has been consistent throughout his carrer. Not a contest for me even though prime Casillas was crazy good

MaxY

Devil May Cry
Indeed,prime Casillas was pretty damn good but I think Buffon is one of (if not ) the best goalkeepers ever.

Home of Barca Fans