Lliga: Barca - Getafe 6-0

Leo_Messi

@Luftstalag14

Was that your first trip to the Camp Nou and Barcelona? You choose a great game to visit.

Let me answer you why there are more international spectators/tourists at the Camp Nou than likely anywhere else in Europe. It's simply due to Barcelona being the fourth most visited city in Europe only behind the likes of London, Paris and Rome. Barcelona is full of tourists all year long almost. Camp Nou is the by far biggest stadium in Europe too which by default means that there will be more of them than elsewhere even if the percentage is smaller.

The stadium tonight was only 2/3 full and we played against Getafe. Also don't forget that the football culture in FCB is distinct and that most of the fans/club members see football as an art/entertainment. Very different from your average Italian, British (maybe not longer due to the expensive tickets), German etc. fan.

Lastly as has already been mentioned then the Boixos Nois and other "ultras/hooligan groups" have been banned. If they were allowed in the volume in the Camp Nou would have been higher.

Anyway a full Camp Nou that is vibrating is up there with the most noisy stadiums.

Also you should really take a look at old videos from the Camp Nou from the 1980's, 1990's and even early 2000's. Back then Camp Nou was much louder and famous for its "loudness". Back then Camp Nou also had a capacity of 120.000!

Last edited:

Leo_Messi

@Luftstalag14

For instance check this video out of the first quarter-final game against Juventus in the 1985–86 European Cup that was played at the Camp Nou.

We won that game 1-0 in front of 120.000 spectators.

Notice the amazing and constant cheering. Different times.

raki

I think that the ticket prices are a factor to consider. How much have you paid?
For tourists is part of the experience of visiting Barcelon city.

how many season tickets does barça ususally sell per year? 50000? Plus?

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Thank you very much Leo_Messi for the insights! Yeah, I saw many more tourists in Barcelona than in Madrid this trip, definitely. And maybe because the Real Madrid game I attended was their CL 2nd leg against Atletico so their core fans were out in full force, really loud and intense. Ours, like you said, were much more relaxed and eased (almost felt like the baseball crowd in the US), perhaps it is because it's only Getafe, no offense to Getafe.

I really felt at home at Camp Nou. Raki, I paid 113 euros for my ticket. And celebrating each goal with my fellow Cules, with genuine happiness is just priceless. :p :barcascarf: For everything else, there is MasterCard. ;)

StarLord

@Leo_Messi

That is an excellent video you posted there. I have already watched the entire first half, and my God has football changed over the years!

It's as if we are talking about a completely different sport. Back then, it seems that even the greatest football sides were not tactically disciplined at all. Much more reliance on individual efforts, man marking and aggression. At no stage do the players of either side try to hold some kind of coherent shape, or lines etc etc etc. The players are extremely spaced out in comparison to today. Our current team is always very compact, with the players tightly and intimately related to each other's movement, while then there were huge spaces in between the players and the three "lines". When one team breaks through some man marking then there's massive space for the counter attackers to move into, but the defense of the opposing team is sitting deep and ready to intercept. The counters also involve very few players (since the teams are so disjointed)

This game is way faster than anything I saw from the 80s (including the WC final of 1986, or some Serie A football from that era)

beogatts

Da game looked quite ez for barca, or our team was in gudd form. ;'D
Next to kick cordoba's asses. Then a big game comes after.

DrPepper

@Leo_Messi

That is an excellent video you posted there. I have already watched the entire first half, and my God has football changed over the years!

It's as if we are talking about a completely different sport. Back then, it seems that even the greatest football sides were not tactically disciplined at all. Much more reliance on individual efforts, man marking and aggression. At no stage do the players of either side try to hold some kind of coherent shape, or lines etc etc etc. The players are extremely spaced out in comparison to today. Our current team is always very compact, with the players tightly and intimately related to each other's movement, while then there were huge spaces in between the players and the three "lines". When one team breaks through some man marking then there's massive space for the counter attackers to move into, but the defense of the opposing team is sitting deep and ready to intercept. The counters also involve very few players (since the teams are so disjointed)

This game is way faster than anything I saw from the 80s (including the WC final of 1986, or some Serie A football from that era)

This. Had similar thoughts when watching a full match of the 2006 World Cup and that wasn't even 10 years ago. Football evolves fast.

Also it makes comparisons between different generations of players pretty much pointless because the sport was so different. Football in the 80s would make David Luiz look like the best defender of his generation. I'm not joking.

JackaL

strictly speaking our ultras (the boixos) are banned from the camp nou.
and there are plenty of tourists in barcelona this time of the year

I think the Camp Nou draws even more attention than the Sagrada Familia, the museum is incredibly well visited and I have seen a lot of tourists as well when I visited the stadium. I don't think it is just this time of the year, it appears to be all the time like this ;) The last couple of years have drawn a lot of tourist fans so to say ;)

In addition, BCN seems to be much more touristy than Madrid is (awful sometimes). I love the city, yet I have to say there are some spots in Madrid that have not been unraveled for main stream tourists, which makes the city nice to visit.

Last edited:

Leo_Messi

Thank you very much Leo_Messi for the insights! Yeah, I saw many more tourists in Barcelona than in Madrid this trip, definitely. And maybe because the Real Madrid game I attended was their CL 2nd leg against Atletico so their core fans were out in full force, really loud and intense. Ours, like you said, were much more relaxed and eased (almost felt like the baseball crowd in the US), perhaps it is because it's only Getafe, no offense to Getafe.

I really felt at home at Camp Nou. Raki, I paid 113 euros for my ticket. And celebrating each goal with my fellow Cules, with genuine happiness is just priceless. :p :barcascarf: For everything else, there is MasterCard. ;)

Barcelona is the 4th most visited city in Europe after London, Paris and Rome so the amount of tourists is only understandable.

A crucial knockout game (return leg of the quarter-finals) in the CL against your city rivals cannot be compared to a league game Tuesday night against Getafe. Camp Nou was only 2/3 full yesterday.

Anyway great to hear that you had a blast.

@Leo_Messi

Yes, back then football was entirely different. It just shows how quickly football evolves and that it is more or less pointless to compare teams and players from very different time periods. Speaking about tactics, Sacchi was a pioneer on that front in the late 1980's and early 1990's.

Yikes. Different times indeed. Watched the first 5 minutes, that's some bloody terrible football by today's standards.

I solely posted footage from that game to illustrate how vocal the Camp Nou was back then compared to now. Different times as I wrote.

Besides the commentators are not the original commentators. Not sure why they are commenting on a game that was played over 25 years ago. One of the commentators is Juan Manuel Lillo. One of Pep's old friends.

This. Had similar thoughts when watching a full match of the 2006 World Cup and that wasn't even 10 years ago. Football evolves fast.

Also it makes comparisons between different generations of players pretty much pointless because the sport was so different. Football in the 80s would make David Luiz look like the best defender of his generation. I'm not joking.

That's an insane claim. Arguably the defenders back then were better defenders as in better at doing actual defending. They were worse footballers technically and fitness wise though on average.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans