Sergi Palencia

hulinat

He can play the first Copa games next season with the first team.
What a waste that would be. How is he going to improve here playing Copa games against 3rd division teams? He's been playing against those kind of opponents since he joined Barca B.

If he doesn't get proper chances with the 1st team this season, I hope he shows the middle finger to the club and forces his way out.

Last edited:

Messi983

I would play him in all Copa games unless we play against RM, AM or Sevilla and also in around 5-10 easier home league games. Of course it all depends on who we'll get as RB. If we sign Bellerin then I'd probably prefer Palencia to start all games. :lol:

hulinat

I truly hope Valverde isn't a pussy like Lucho when it comes to younger players. Hopefully he'll give him similar treatment like Yeray in Bilbao,

tacticvarium

Time will tell, but he's the captain of the B team and higher rated than Montoya was in his age.

Thats not true at all. Montoya was in fact rated as one of the best RB talents in Spain around 2011-12. He was ahead of Carvajal as well. He just failed to survive in the first team due to the fact that we had Alves in his prime and also his weak mentality and less competitive mind.

hulinat

Thats not true at all. Montoya was in fact rated as one of the best RB talents in Spain around 2011-12. He was ahead of Carvajal as well. He just failed to survive in the first team due to the fact that we had Alves in his prime and also his weak mentality and less competitive mind.

Matter of opinion. That was back when Pep was around and actually gave the youngsters some minutes with the 1st team and Montoya made his debut as a 19 year old so obviously the hype was there. Palencia is 21 now and has never played even a minute with the first team thanks to Lucho, so you cant really compare these two.

Albo

People overrate Palencia like hell. He is decent at a shitty league, never first team quality. I hope he proves me wrong.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Time will tell, but he's the captain of the B team and higher rated than Montoya was in his age.

Matter of opinion. That was back when Pep was around and actually gave the youngsters some minutes with the 1st team and Montoya made his debut as a 19 year old so obviously the hype was there. Palencia is 21 now and has never played even a minute with the first team thanks to Lucho, so you cant really compare these two.

You talked about being higher rated in your first post which implies the general opinion.
No way that Palencia came anything remotely close to Montoya hype at same age (summer 2012).
Montoya was killing it in 2nd division and was called by VDB for Spain (though he didn't play ) before even getting promoted. At the age of 20-21 even Grimaldo wasn't hyped as Montoya then-then again he was more hyped at the 16-17 age category- and this had everything to do with his performance under Lucho and Eusebio with Barca B not Pep.
Palencia could do better,plenty of players who were hyped failed and vice versa. Many late bloomers succeed. Bojan and Pedro comes to mind. But hype and being highly rated at age of 21? Montoya was head and shoulders the higher rated player.

hulinat

People overrate Palencia like hell. He is decent at a shitty league, never first team quality. I hope he proves me wrong.

He's probably the best player in the B team in terms of being ready for 1st team football. Based on your opinion all the B team players are below decent and playing in a shitty league.

Albo

He's probably the best player in the B team in terms of being ready for 1st team football. Based on your opinion all the B team players are below decent and playing in a shitty league.

Well they were all playing in a shitty league. But he is no way near being the best player in B team in terms of readiness for 1st team football, most consistent maybe. Palencia lacks the necessary skills to succeed in the first team. The kid has a lot of heart in his game but is kinda bad attacking-wise and on top of that a manlet too. He is not Alba who can fix his defensive mistakes with pure speed nor can he link up like Alba. I sincerely hope I am wrong and he will end up in the first team but currently there is nothing that implies it.

IMO 4 of the current Barca B players have a chance of seeing first team action, they are : Marlon, Cucurella, Alena and Mujica.

hulinat

Well they were all playing in a shitty league. But he is no way near being the best player in B team in terms of readiness for 1st team football, most consistent maybe. Palencia lacks the necessary skills to succeed in the first team. The kid has a lot of heart in his game but is kinda bad attacking-wise and on top of that a manlet too. He is not Alba who can fix his defensive mistakes with pure speed nor can he link up like Alba. I sincerely hope I am wrong and he will end up in the first team but currently there is nothing that implies it.

IMO 4 of the current Barca B players have a chance of seeing first team action, they are : Marlon, Cucurella, Alena and Mujica.

What do you mean he's bad attacking-wise? Palencia is a actually a very good dribbler and challenges players often. He may not be as fast as Alba but he does link up well with the other players in the B team. He also has a really good left foot too which he's shown by playing on both flanks and scoring a couple of long distance beauties.

Messi983

No, this confirms nothing. He'll get a preseason with the first team because Valverde wants to see him.

Home of Barca Fans