Sergi Palencia

Bulgroz

Well, to be honest our left back isn't great (he can actually be pretty good sometimes, but he definitely needs someone challenging him for his starter spot because he tends to get lazy). Our right back though is more than apt (Youssouf Sabaly, starter as a LB for Senegal during the world cup). And besides them, we only have very shitty young players. So I'd say any half decent LB could end up playing a lot of games with our team, even if he's "not great on the technical level" as you say.

What worries me though is that apparently Palencia struggled in 2nd division last season. I know a lot of people here think the french league is shit, but even if it's not as good as La Liga, it's definitely well above LaLiga 2. So I don't really see how he could bring something to our team, but hey, you never know.

Bulgroz

If the loan happens, I'll definitely let you guys know how Palencia is doing anyway. I'm watching every Bordeaux game, even when they're terrible (and they often are).

God Serena

Well, to be honest our left back isn't great (he can actually be pretty good sometimes, but he definitely needs someone challenging him for his starter spot because he tends to get lazy). Our right back though is more than apt (Youssouf Sabaly, starter as a LB for Senegal during the world cup). And besides them, we only have very shitty young players. So I'd say any half decent LB could end up playing a lot of games with our team, even if he's "not great on the technical level" as you say.

What worries me though is that apparently Palencia struggled in 2nd division last season. I know a lot of people here think the french league is shit, but even if it's not as good as La Liga, it's definitely well above LaLiga 2. So I don't really see how he could bring something to our team, but hey, you never know.

But Palencia is a RB.

Bulgroz

Ah, the original post says LB/RB.

It doesn't change much though. We only have one very good wing back, and it's Youssouf Sabaly. He plays RB in Bordeaux, but he played a couple seasons as a LB when he was younger, and iirc he plays LB with Senegal NT. So Sabaly can play LB in Bordeaux with Palencia as a RB if needs be. But then again, that's assuming Palencia is good enough to play in Ligue 1.

God Serena

Whether he is or not is up in the air. He's a tremendously hard worker and knows how to defend. His poor performances last season coincided with an entire team that was sinking, and fast. Aside from Busquets and Alena it looked pretty bad for all our B team back then. If he proves to not be good enough, it won't be because of his attitude, you can at least be sure of that.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Valencia should sign Palencia. No joke!

They are down to one RB and Montoya did a solid job. They earned some money on him too.

khaled_a_d

What worries me though is that apparently Palencia struggled in 2nd division last season. I know a lot of people here think the french league is shit, but even if it's not as good as La Liga, it's definitely well above LaLiga 2.

Palancia was promoted to Barca B in 2014-2015 season when we were playing in second division
That season we decided on "all youth" policy that destroyed B team after 4 successful seasons in segunda under both Lucho and Eusebio. The later got fired mid season and youth team coach Jordi Vinyals was hired.
He brought Palancia with him and immediately became a starter and was widely considered as the good surprise from that season
This was 2nd division, and this was 18-19 years old Palancia
Last season he started with a serious injury that kept him out for some time. And our whole defense was shit anyway.

Regarding my opinion on him:
He is a hard worker with high spirit that put 110% of his effort, but he lacks talent needed for a FB as he is limited in his dribbling, speed etc. For that he was never gonna make it in Barca B but I always thought he will get few seasons in Liga during his career

Bulgroz

Thanks, khaled_a_d and God Serena. At least you're giving me some kind of hope. I'll let you know, if he ends up signing for Bordeaux.

Bulgroz

Since Sabaly is still injured, Palencia started the game against Toulouse today (2-1 defeat). He was horrible defensively. And not particularly useful with the ball.

xXKonan

Since Sabaly is still injured, Palencia started the game against Toulouse today (2-1 defeat). He was horrible defensively. And not particularly useful with the ball.
He's young and will need more time but I have a feeling he may end up not being good enough for any top division teams in the big leagues.

I hope I'm wrong as he's a good kid and hard worker but talent and ability wise First division football might end up being to much for him.

Joan

Saw he played against Monaco once again (2-1 win for Bordeaux), ratings are consistent (6,5) but I didn't watch the match. Was he a disaster waiting to happen again?

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans