Nicolas Otamendi

BenRobbins

I think it would be fair, yes.

I am suprised there hasn't been a lot of suitors for his signature other than United. If he has been that good then i would imagine Barca, Real etc would all fancy picking him up? Is it the 50 million release clause that puts teams off?

Antimadridista1

Too expensive. Sides like Barca and Madrid don't need a CB as much as United who played with the likes of Blackett and McNair during the whole season.

BenRobbins

Too expensive. Sides like Barca and Madrid don't need a CB as much as United who played with the likes of Blackett and McNair during the whole season.

Yeah also it is only £35 million for United aswell which is dead cheap! The pound to the euro does a lot of favours for english teams right now.

StarLord

Yeah also it is only £35 million for United aswell which is dead cheap! The pound to the euro does a lot of favours for english teams right now.

That's a factor for sure. English teams should take advantage of it this summer, because FX rates are unstable as shit nowadays and this weak Euro will not last for too long.

I am suprised there hasn't been a lot of suitors for his signature other than United. If he has been that good then i would imagine Barca, Real etc would all fancy picking him up? Is it the 50 million release clause that puts teams off?

Real Madrid and Barcelona have been snobbish in relation to players from the rest of La Liga for many years now. They prefer to go for expensive star names from the EPL or Serie A instead of looking for better value for money from their own league. Silva and Aguero could have made it for the Big 2 in Spain, a few others as well.

Jombi

lol, 50m euros plus tax for a 27 year old defender with zero marketing revenue potential is cheap. That's outrageous.

BenRobbins

lol, 50m euros plus tax for a 27 year old defender with zero marketing revenue potential is cheap. That's outrageous.

£35 million for United is very cheap when you look at what defenders cost in this climate. You dont buy defenders for marketing purposes, you buy them to defend and that is what we are in serious need of. We already have enough marketable players and its not like we need more as we are fine financially.

Would be a bargain compared to Mangala, Lovren, David Luiz etc

Jombi

£35 million for United is very cheap when you look at what defenders cost in this climate. You dont buy defenders for marketing purposes, you buy them to defend and that is what we are in serious need of. We already have enough marketable players and its not like we need more as we are fine financially.

Would be a bargain compared to Mangala, Lovren etc

Yes, defenders cost 8m euros in "this climate" like Lazio paid for De Vrij who was a Dutch international when he was bought last year and is a great defender. You always have to factor in the players' potential to increase the club's revenue when assessing prices. Of course a player that will massively increase the clubs revenue should be more expensive than some defender who has zero marketing potential. It's just common sense. Paying 50m euros PLUS tax (probably another 15-20m euros) for a 27 year old CB is simply outrageous.

Jair Ventura

Would be a bargain compared to Mangala, Lovren, David Luiz etc

This mentality to putting together a roster is why United will continue to struggle going forward imo. I sense a lack of continuity between roster construction, player development, and tactics/style of play. I also don't see how you can say Otamendi would be a bargain relative to Luiz when in addition to being globally marketable, the latter has been a stronger player both domestically and internationally throughout their respective careers.

Also, Mangala is 3 years younger than Otamendi, was cheaper, and is a solid player in his own right. There's no reason to believe he won't continue to develop, so I'd say his value was fair. And lastly, marketability should always be considered when estimating a players value.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

This mentality to putting together a roster is why United will continue to struggle going forward imo. I sense a lack of continuity between roster construction, player development, and tactics/style of play. I also don't see how you can say Otamendi would be a bargain relative to Luiz when in addition to being globally marketable, the latter has been a stronger player both domestically and internationally throughout their respective careers.

Also, Mangala is 3 years younger than Otamendi, was cheaper, and is a solid player in his own right. There's no reason to believe he won't continue to develop, so I'd say his value was fair. And lastly, marketability should always be considered when estimating a players value.

Man Utd don't need players for global marketing they are dominating that side of things in a big way.

Otamendi for 35m makes sense for them, they can easily afford it and much more on top.

Jair Ventura

Man Utd don't need players for global marketing they are dominating that side of things in a big way.

Otamendi for 35m makes sense for them, they can easily afford it and much more on top.

They're dominating in that respect now because they used to win, and they used to have icons for players. A few years of otherwise can flip things quick, but I'm sure you understand that.

Good luck.

Alik

Real Madrid and Barcelona have been snobbish in relation to players from the rest of La Liga for many years now. They prefer to go for expensive star names from the EPL or Serie A instead of looking for better value for money from their own league. Silva and Aguero could have made it for the Big 2 in Spain, a few others as well.

That's not really true.

In the current team, Barcelona has Alba, Mathieu, Bravo, Rakitic and Alves who were brought from other La Liga clubs.

Real Madrid has Illaramendi, Isco, Navas and Ramos in their current squad.

I might be missing more names.

Anyway, snobbish is a strong word; and the Spanish league is not necessarily better value for money.

BenRobbins

His agent seems to kicked up a bit of a fuss and it seems a bit tedious really. He has said that he is unhappy that valencia are telling papers he wants to stay and is happy. Bit of a silly thing to kick off about but most agents are a bit odd now. I think he is forcing valencia to accept a bit lower than the release clause to prevent teams paying the 52% tax which would take the total to around 75 million which is ridiculous.

There is a way round it however in which clubs can give the players money and they pay the release clause to their current club and that money isn't taxable.

Home of Barca Fans