Lliga: Sevilla FC - FC Barcelona 2-2

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
I missed pretty much most of the game (visit from girlfriend and family from abroad) and have been very busy since then. It's first now that I got some time to read the local media, watch match highlights etc.

Can anyone give me a comprehensive description of our performance? From what I could gather we played brilliantly for 30 minutes until Bravo's catastrophic mistake and then completely lost momentum. Lucho apparently being "unlucky" with his substitutions too and Piqué screwing up. Midfield still a problem. So in a sense nothing new. Or what?

We played brilliantly for 30-35min, even with an inexistant middfield (except Busi) but Sevilla was pretty much watching us the entire time, they woke up after the Bravo blunder and from that point on we were pretty much dominated and couldn't create anything, probably a historic ratio of back passes (have to check the stats), somehow got 3 or 4 chances that Suarez took on him to waste, and 8min from the end Pique's blunder gives them the 2nd goal .. game over.

Jombi

We played brilliantly for 30-35min, even with an inexistant middfield (except Busi) but Sevilla was pretty much watching us the entire time, they woke up after the Bravo blunder and from that point on we were pretty much dominated and couldn't create anything, probably a historic ratio of back passes (have to check the stats), somehow got 3 or 4 chances that Suarez took on him to waste, and 8min from the end Pique's blunder gives them the 2nd goal .. game over.

Thats simply not true. We created far more chances than Sevilla and we certainly were not dominated by them. Sevilla was "watching us" in the first 35 minutes? They were schooled and it was boys against men. The rest of the game was more even after Bravo decided to let them into the game, but even so, we deserved to win and playing against an undefeated opposition at home this season, that is pretty darn good.

Leo_Messi

Thanks mate. What you described seems consistent with what actually happened if we are to believe the media and comments on social media. Although I believe that we should have won based on the match highlights. I will maybe watch the game later tonight.

I am seriously fearing that we will repeat last season the only difference is that we are likely to win the CdR which won't be that big of a consolation prize.

Last season we are also 2 points ahead of RM after 31 rounds. The lack of midfield control is likely to cost us this season.

Vlom

Thats simply not true. We created far more chances than Sevilla and we certainly were not dominated by them. Sevilla was "watching us" in the first 35 minutes? They were schooled and it was boys against men. The rest of the game was more even after Bravo decided to let them into the game, but even so, we deserved to win and playing against an undefeated opposition at home this season, that is pretty darn good.

I also wanna believe they were "schooled" but that's simply impossible seing how from the moment they decided to press we stoped dominating, so..

And by dominated I mean they prevented us from dominating, the game just got crazy, iniesta and raki couldn't keep a ball to save their life, suarez screwed up countless times, etc ... you can see the positive in the numbers, may be we had more possession, but we were pretty much "canceled out".

G

Gasgas

Lol sevilla were pressing from the first minute. It's when we took the foot off the accelerator that their press could reap rewards

Vlom

They decided to press? So in the first half they decided not to press and let us score 2 goals?

Well, in the first half, up until the goal, I felt they were pretty attentists .. after the goal they were like devils running everywhere up until the end of the game.

Leo_Messi

Lol sevilla were pressing from the first minute. It's when we took the foot off the accelerator that their press could reap rewards

Maybe the team wasted too much energy in the first half and became too confident thinking that the game was over? I read that Suárez was wasteful in front of goal once again. He really has to improve on this front. We can't afford him or others to be this wasteful in front of goal when all the titles are to be decided in the upcoming few weeks.

I am fairly positive too. The game against Valencia will be absolutely crucial though. I want revenge from last season. A win would restore momentum in the league and then we would face Espanyol with the biggest amount of confidence possible. Especially if we eliminate PSG in the CL in the meantime.

It's all in our hands. Those saying that RM will not lose any points in the league are mad. They will.

If we win against Valencia at home and Espanyol away then only Atlético will remain of difficult opponents on paper at least. RM would still have to play Sevilla away, Valencia at home and Espanyol away. The first two in between a potential CL-semifinal against a tough opponent. So yes, RM are hellbent on losing points in the league. How many we don't know but they will for sure lose some points. The key is for us not to lose more points than them. I can only see us lose points in 3 games. Valencia, Espanyol and Atlético. Before the Atlético game the league might be practically over too.

So I can't stress how important the next 2 league games are. It's basically make or break.

Last edited:

Leo_Messi

Also it was indeed strange to see us apparently dominating the first half this superbly until Bravo's mistake. That was very much unlike our usual modus operandi this season as we seem to mostly turn up to decide it all in the second half.

Anyway my prediction of not losing turned out to be a correct on. Emery is still unable to defeat us. Quite laughable actually. I was hoping that we would win though and it looks like we had all the chances to do exactly that had it not been for wastefulness, cockiness (likely) and wrong tactical decisions from Lucho. Hopefully he will learn that offense is the best defense. Especially when we have Messi, Suárez and Neymar up front.

F

Flavia

I read that Suárez was wasteful in front of goal once again. He really has to improve on this front. We can't afford him or others to be this wasteful in front of goal when all the titles are to be decided in the upcoming few weeks.

Yep, he missed a goal from an open net. Would had been the 1-3.

Bucky

Penya Member
To put it simply; Sevilla were pressed & Barça looked strong until Sevilla's first goal then Barça looked nervous.

Chances weren't taken (Suàrez), the midfield was shaky (Iniesta) and the defence was weak making silly mistakes. Barça were wounded and Sevilla smelt blood, end of.

Antimadridista1

During the second half I thought that Sergi Roberto would be a real improvement in our midfield knowing his work rate and the defense help he could've bring to the team. I think that Lucho should consider subbing the young lad when we lead in the second half and need a midfielder that can press a lot and also defend during the last 10/15min of the game.
He deserves a chance.

Alik

During the second half I thought that Sergi Roberto would be a real improvement in our midfield knowing his work rate and the defense help he could've bring to the team. I think that Lucho should consider subbing the young lad when we lead in the second half and need a midfielder that can press a lot and also defend during the last 10/15min of the game.
He deserves a chance.

The uproar in this forum would have been greater if Lucho had subbed in Sergi Roberto and drawn the match.

Home of Barca Fans