Lliga: Sevilla FC - FC Barcelona 2-2

mssarm

What I would have done if I were in Lucho's shoes yesterday would have been the following:

1) Take out one of Iniesta/Rakitic around the 65th minute for Xavi.

2) Take out Suarez for Pedro.

3) Place Pedro on the left.

4) Move Neymar into the #9 position.

Was Mascherano suspended by the way?

I think Masche was suspended. I agree on Iniesta/Xavi swap, especially considering Iniesta's form. But I'm not sure about Suarez/Pedro. That was a game where everyone had to wear multiple hats. The thing is Suarez contributes to defense and Neymar doesn't. Considering that Messi defends very little, you spread the defensive burden of 2 people to the rest of the team. In the game like that it's very risky. Lucho went for safest choice. Take out non defending front line player and crowd the midfield and add the player who can dictate the tempo. It's sad it did not work out but I don't consider it insane substitution.

EdmondDantes

I did not see Suarez running any more than Neymar in that second half. Most people and the media saw it as a dumb move, the commentators did too on the spot, with hindsight we all know it was a stupid substitution. No matter how you spin it, Enrique is to blame, and Neymar should have stayed on the field.

G

Gasgas

Also consider that neymar sat out the last game so he was fresher and thaaat showeeeeed in his game

Topolino

Gemusesuppe
The game was lost due to "energy saving tactics" after the first goal. Bravos mistake, Iniesta playing like Anderson, Suarez missing easy goals and an error by Pique.

Sums up the game imo.

How to improve?
Well Pique... sometimes s*it happens, wouldn't worry about him.
Bravo - Rakitic and Suarez bombing him for 90 mins in training ( would seriously help everyone )
Iniesta- bench the dude, Sergi Roberto would have done better.
Lucho - He is a good manager, he just needs to get a grip, and use common sense. (Subbing Neymar, seriously? He pretty much gave Sevillas right flank the ability to terrorize Alba and everyone knows that when Alba is being terrorized, it's going to get really nasty)
And if Suarez keeps missing sitters, he should really be benched for a while. Worked well with Neymar.

Eluryh

UAsnqC.png

YOUTUBE

MEGA
https://mega.co.nz/#!pENWiCSQ!80sNLAwjJ1WG_KLVTS7EcJj2PHGq2a6r63hSwoTyg5M

Last edited:

StarLord

The game was lost due to "energy saving tactics" after the first goal. Bravos mistake, Iniesta playing like Anderson, Suarez missing easy goals and an error by Pique.

Sums up the game imo.

How to improve?
Well Pique... sometimes s*it happens, wouldn't worry about him.
Bravo - Rakitic and Suarez bombing him for 90 mins in training ( would seriously help everyone )
Iniesta- bench the dude, Sergi Roberto would have done better.
Lucho - He is a good manager, he just needs to get a grip, and use common sense. (Subbing Neymar, seriously? He pretty much gave Sevillas right flank the ability to terrorize Alba and everyone knows that when Alba is being terrorized, it's going to get really nasty)
And if Suarez keeps missing sitters, he should really be benched for a while. Worked well with Neymar.

1) We had no option other than employing "energy saving tactics" Our fixture list demands it. It was the right (read: inevitable) thing to do.

2) You are 100% correct about individual errors. We have avoided those for a very long time, in GK and defense. Better to happen in a crucial La Liga game, than in a CL knock-out game where there is absolutely no tomorrow.

3) Iniesta - My all time favourite player, but he is not even 30% of what he used to be. His decline has created a huge and unexpected hole in our starting XI. Really worrisome for us.

4) Lucho has done remarkably well under extraordinary pressure, but he definitely had a massive brainfart last night. People say that even if we had kept Neymar on, we could still have been equalized, and that may be true, but still does not take away from the fact that subbing off the one player that handed us the 3 points on a platter was a huge blunder. Neymar assisted Messi for the first goal, brilliantly scored the 2nd, and send Suarez clean through for what should have been the clincher. He was also the most lively player throughout our brilliant first half hour.

Slept like shit last night

Same here. Weekend ruined, only a win in Paris can seriously fix my mood right now.

Last edited:

Bucky

Penya Member
Slept like shit last night

Yup it made my walk home from the Penya & train journey home horrible. It felt like a loss, especially after such a bright start.

Was really glad to see Neymar back on it, he looked good. Think that rest served him well, but wtf was up with Suàrez, so many chances he squandered. Absolute sitter when the ball rolled to his feet, that should have been it.

We all knew that those missed opportunities would come back to haunt us and they did.

What we didn't think was the stupidity of Lucho struck again! Why take off Neymar who is having a great game when clearly Suàrez should have been the one to go off!? Should have moved Messi into the centre and put Pedro on the right. Xavi for Iniesta, I think that's what we all thought when Xavi was warming up & going up to the line, but when Neymar was called off, wtf... Lucho - heads gone.

Cannot believe how bad Iniesta was. Mathieu was having a shocking game too and that pass Piqué committed that lead to Sevilla's goal, oh wow come on Piqué...

Switching it to a 4-4-2, I know where he was coming from by "controlling the midfield" BUT that is not the way to do it :facepalm:

So disappointed and hope they come out guns blazing against PSG & make amends against Valencia. We cannot afford another slip up, it's unthinkable. Really hope someone can do the damage to RM now too.

Mido

Bitter is right. We could of had this liga almost wrapped up if we just scored a goal against celta and Malaga at home but blowing two goal leads won't do us any favors heading to Paris.

And that Mido dood better stop posting xavi Iniesta midfield...

If you read carefully what I say, I believe Barca's A midfield is Xavi--Rakitic...

Egert

Estonian Culé
Yup it made my walk home from the Penya & train journey home horrible. It felt like a loss, especially after such a bright start.

It sure did.... Have never felt so shit after a draw after last season's last home game :cry:

klc123

I hope to see both Rakitic and Iniesta on the bench against PSG..

Who do you think we should start ahead of them?
Xavi and Rafinha may be our best option. Out of our midfielders Xavi has been the best in recent games, which shows how poor the others have been considering he is about to retire.

Gallivanter

The worst I've felt after a match this season, maybe for a couple. I know that is an overreaction, that every goal is still within the club's own hands, but this one stung. As mentioned, it was because of how well they played in the first half, the wasted chances, and the tactical stupidity. What was ever worse for me was how well Pique was playing. Every bad play or pass my Mathieu or every time the midfield got passed, there was Pique. Then that pass.

Home of Barca Fans