Aston Villa

Hamzah

High Definition Member
I've been to Manchester it is a shithole. I prefer glasgow.

Not really seen Birmingham properly but From what I saw everything is too spread out. Maybe if it had a good city centre people would buy up one of its teams.

Egert

Estonian Culé
I like Aston Villa as a club. Pretty good players there. Nice that we have a fan on this forum

Bucky

Penya Member
I've been to Manchester it is a shithole. I prefer glasgow.

Not really seen Birmingham properly but From what I saw everything is too spread out. Maybe if it had a good city centre people would buy up one of its teams.

Haven't been to Glasgow but it's on the to do list as my Mrs is keen on taking me on a birthday run around to try various scotches. Yeah that is a good observation, everything is too far and few between. An entertainment complex in Star City is too far out, near Villa Park mind but it's not the centre. There's not adequate transportation to get around the City. Think they're building some modern type tram? Not entirely sure but they need a metro :lol:

Both Villa Park and the sty aren't too far from the City centre as well but I don't think that's the problem; people are interested it's just Lerner had it too high a price for a side that doesn't boast big players. There's just "potential".

I like Aston Villa as a club. Pretty good players there. Nice that we have a fan on this forum

Yeah, there is something there, again "potential". Grealish, Delph, Sinclair (loan), Cleverley (loan), Bacuna, Benteke. Joe Cole, Vlaar, Senderos... questionable. The rest need to be scrapped. New back line, new keeper, more depth in midfield and a new striker to pair up with Benteke if Villa have any hopes of keeping him.

:thumbsup2:

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
I hate Aston Villa supporters with a passion. In fact the only supporters I hate more in english football than Villa supporters are Chelsea and Arsenal supporters.

Aston Villa WERE NOT the major club of the latter part of the 19th century and early part of the 20th century. They dominated for a decade that is all - not 50 years.

Blackburn Rovers won THREE FA Cups in a row in the 19th century plus another two in a row in the 1890's - a much bigger achievement than what Villa achieved at that time. League wise at the same time Villa won 6 league titles, in the same era Sunderland won 4 league titles and Newcastle 4 league titles as well.

I agree Aston Villa are amongst the biggest 8 clubs in english football however they are 7th or 8th on that list and not higher than that.

And all this and Villa supporters turn their nose up at Rafa Benitez when Lerner wanted him to replace O'Neill. Alas those supporters got McLeish and Lambert instead. Shame.

Last edited:

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
Villa is not on the same level as Liverpool or ManUtd but comparing them to Blackburn or Sunderland? They won a Champions Cup in the 80s. That is huge.

Bucky

Penya Member
I hate Aston Villa supporters with a passion. In fact the only supporters I hate more in english football than Villa supporters are Chelsea and Arsenal supporters.

And all this and Villa supporters turn their nose up at Rafa Benitez when Lerner wanted him to replace O'Neill. Alas those supporters got McLeish and Lambert instead. Shame.

Feelings mutual. In that regard you must also hate your star player, Daniel Sturridge :rofl1:

Laughable really that you say Villa supporters turned their noses up to Rafa :rolleyes:
You know the politics and it's as black & white as the fans deciding on the manager, pitiful.

/

Anyway, never would have thought that yesterday Villa would have gone to White Hart Lane and grabbed 3pts there. Sure there's always the talk & hype of a manager returning to the place of his former employers and doing the damage, but with this Villa squad? Shocked and still in disbelief.

Big win especially after the disappointment of not taking the 3pts against QPR.

@Blaugrana Bull - he's talking about the time in the late 1800's where apparently Villa weren't dominant just because a couple of teams won a cup or took the league title. It's like saying one of the top 4 in modern day football weren't dominant because 1 of the other teams took the league that year. Small clubs win cups in a given year but they aren't dominant. BCFC beat Arsenal a few years ago at Wembley but let's not talk about that because Arsenal weren't dominant :rolleyes::lol:

Last edited:

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Feelings mutual.

Laughable really that you say Villa supporters turned their noses up to Rafa :rolleyes:
You know the politics and it's as black & white as the fans deciding on the manager, pitiful.

/

Anyway, never would have thought that yesterday Villa would have gone to White Hart Lane and grabbed 3pts there. Sure there's always the talk & hype of a manager returning to the place of his former employers and doing the damage, but with this Villa squad? Shocked and still in disbelief.

Big win especially after the disappointment of not taking the 3pts against QPR.

@Blaugrana Bull - he's talking about the time in the late 1800's where apparently Villa weren't dominant just because a couple of teams won a cup or took the league title. It's like saying one of the top 4 in modern day football weren't dominant because 1 of the other teams took the league that year. Small clubs win cups in a given year but they aren't dominant. BCFC beat Arsenal a few years ago at Wembley but let's not talk about that because Arsenal weren't dominant :rolleyes::lol:

They won more than "just a league or cup" that's the whole point. They were as dominant as you were in those days. Then in the Huddersfield and Arsenal won 3 titles in a row.

Bucky

Penya Member
Cool. Don't mistaken a quote I took for my words btw, seem to be focussing on that to base an argument. Fact is Villa were in that period of time one of the top clubs. They may not have been winning every season and every trophy on offer but they were there competing as a big player in the league much like the Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City of modern day football.

Bucky

Penya Member
Wasn't expecting this but have just got my ticket for Wembley!!

Never been to the new one having missed out in 2010 v Man U and never saw this coming quite so soon and don't know how long it will be until the next one but been back for about 20mins after queuing up for tickets to those with ticket history. So my brothers & I will be attending.

Bit apathetic and just looking for a good day out but that will not stop the faithful from bringing the noise like that against Man U 5 years ago when the fans sung their hearts out and you couldn't hear the United fans for s***. Will be different this time I imagine as Liverpool fans are in my impression, more passionate about their club but if the Holte End faithful are in their numbers and in fine voice then the noise & atmosphere should be good. Especially if the Brigada are there!

Had a text from my dad too that I'll share (he unfortunately can't get down to VP for various reasons so, anyway):

Your brother stopped by, all the best for Sunday and let's hope Villa can spoil the media luvvies dream of an Arsenal v Liverpool final! After 3 losses, one in 2000 plus twice in 2010 the "football gods" owe us a Wembley victory! Lerner is flying over for it so that could be a jinx! But it could be 3rd time lucky for him, fingers crossed, etc!

Bless him :lol:

Honestly, those same people who criticize the Spanish League for only being a "two club league" would rather see the same haggard big clubs battle it out over a trophy. Villa aren't so much an underdog in the sense of being a "small club" as say the likes of the final we saw a few years ago between Small Heath v Arsenal. That for the neutral I'd imagine was boring as hell. I wanted to obviously see Small Heath lose but Arsenal couldn't do us a favour. Villa v Arsenal wouldn't be a bad fixture either and see this very thread for evidence but as a lot of you here who have posted have shown, you know your football, much respected & appreciated as it's nice to read from time to time.

If Villa can beat Liverpool and it is a Villa v Arsenal final, I cannot honestly see Villa beating them - something for the filthy bluenose scum to rub in Villa faces. Love how everyone rules out Reading too from beating Arsenal :lol:

*edit: Oh and also when Small Heath beat Arsenal they beat "THEIR" local rivals, Villa, on the way to their trophy win; so this time round Villa beat "THEIR" local rivals, West Brom, on the way to Wembley, so if the football god's have anything to say in it then well... yeah, football logic :D*

Anyway, I hope for Villa's sake they can do it, for my Nan up in heaven who loved Villa with all her heart & had so much pride supporting them through her life, grew up in Aston (lived on the same road as Ozzy Osbourne too) and I know she'll be watching over them so hopefully, hopefully they can make her happy up there.

Yippeee I aaa, yippeee I ooo, Holte Enders in the sky...

@AnfieldEd - looks like your fellow Liverpudlians aren't all about hating Villa fans with a passion... still don't understand where you "passionate hatred" comes from though.

Last edited:

Leo_Messi

Congratulations Bucky. Hopefully you guys will defeat Arsenal and win the cup next month. Aston Villa has gone without silverware for far too long. 19 years to be precise. Here is hoping.

Also it's always a pleasure to see Loserpool and "Captain Fantastic" fail once again.

Bucky

Penya Member
Cheers, it is certainly exciting times. To think of how the season started, to then shortly crumble with a whole doom & gloom, "not again", just general not a nice feeling about Villa with a lot of fans turning their backs in apathy because of how negative & delusional Lambert was; playing boring football to now have this same squad of players - playing so passionately, with pride & strength is just... well put it this way, I saw grown men in tears this weekend. It's phenomenal how so quickly the team has turned around.

Villa shouldn't be nervous next month, it's Arsenal. Villa are unpredictable at the moment and if injuries free up, with a bit of luck, solidarity & keep up that game they played against QPR, Spurs & Liverpool, the dominating tactics & determination to never give up with the supporters behind them... who know's.

I'd expect Arsenal to score, they have players that on paper can do the damage. Yes they finally won a trophy last year after so many failed opportunities over the years with Wenger at the helm - I don't follow Arsenal but hear enough on talkArsenalport, I mean talkshite, I mean talksport (to those that don't know, talksport is a radio station that has often been accused of talking too much about London clubs in particular Arsenal, and feature pundits - ex players, who talk about all things football, cricket, golf etc, as such they take the mic out of themselves and have "the daily Arsenal"); but last years cup final against Hull... I mean Hull, to throw away a 2-0 lead... painful, but that was Hull without tactics Tim lol

So begun Sunday 19th April at 6:20am, having to get up & ready for the day, charging up the M5 to get to the coach pick up point & meet with my brothers and other Villa fans (spotted 1 Liverpool fan joining on jct3 with a pool scarf hanging out their window lol). Awful coach experience but less said the better =X just over 2hrs on there with bratty kids &... smells, ugh.

Fresh air at the car park and we made our way to "Wembley way"??? This was my first time to the new stadium, I've seen it from a far on my journey's to London but never got this close. I went to the old Wembley and THAT featured the legendary Wembley way, the walk up to the stadium but this one felt really short and just lost the "magic". The two towers before were epic and had some majestic feeling to it but that arch now seeing it up close was a little deflating? Not sure...

WP_20150419_10_22_31_Pro.jpg

Anyway, we made our way into the nearby shopping centre to view & scout our options; we had thought about grabbing a good meal before the game and not risking the crap junk food you get from stalls - some baaaaaaaaaaaaaad experiences in the past, especially at the NEC MB360 XL where some foreign food stand setup outside and gave a lot of people food poisoning. So we had planned on going to Pizza Express as the place we were going to next for pre match atmosphere & drinks had rep for bad food... the Green Man. Wow.

We arrived around 10:30 or so and the place was packed. Massive queues every where for outside drinks, food and inside was rammed too. The atmosphere was loud but got even louder as time went on. What an incredible experience. I missed out on 2010 v Man U unfortunately as I couldn't get a ticket and before then, well I wasn't old enough to drink beer so wouldn't matter. Beer... lager... ugh, if you could call it that! It was fizzy piss. Typical. Also it was ridiculous at £4.50 a pint!! Thieving b***ards! Obviously taking advantage and yes it was that place on TV the other week/month for hotels in need of improvement though it's a great beer garden and in sight of Wembley.

As time went on, more fans got tipsy, and it's amazing how a few hundred ladies & gents can get entertained by playing with a giant inflatable football :pep:

A claret & blue flare went off a few feet from me as I was taking a picture of a group of lads which drew the attention of security and shortly after the police arrived to help maintain "peace" at the gates by not letting in any more fans as a precaution as apparently it was getting full; which the landlord clearly decided not too long after it wasn't such a good idea as people were moving on, leaving and unable to get back in as the pub started to empty. However MORE people came in and well, benches were destroyed as fans celebrated & generated an incredible buzz inside the tent with "My old man" chant which was repeated maybe about 50 times? Admittedly it was a bit repetitive and there's better chants but no one wanted to change it.

It set the mood as the fans made their way to the stadium and it was fairly loud as you could hear fans from all around. Never seen so much claret & blue and clearly fans who couldn't get in had surrounded the nearby areas as there was drink & bags every where. Expected really as there wasn't enough space and lack of bins. Escalators in a stadium... that is possibly just a stupid idea with thousands of people making their way in, with all the H&S going on every where for the silliest things, this is almost hilariously ironic that in a modern stadium you have such a silly way of getting to the tops of the stadium.

The atmosphere was bouncing and I knew fans had been planning something, whilst it was great and all, it wasn't as big as I was expecting with the balloons, streamers, flags etc but it made up for it with the spirit and roar of the Villa fans.

What I didn't know for definite was the mosaic, if it was happening or not and the club apparently from what I understand dipped into their pockets for it. A lot of us have requested for more of it and want to see them at more games at home. Simple & effective and a stark reminder to all outside of Villa that we are here to stay, we are very much alive and shouldn't be taken lightly (not the mosaic specifically but the whole obviously)...........................

Bucky

Penya Member
It spelt out Villa in white on claret & blue stripes.

11149439_946952798668587_5303146406134315959_n.jpg

*the second tier - one that separates top & bottom portions of Villa section - was corporate but as reported a lot of it was Liverpool fans who had brought up seats as a lot of them were caught cheering when scored and also seen wearing shirts even though not meant to.

But then this is from where we were sitting, whilst again my first time in the new Wembley... I'm a little disappointed at how small the pitch appears, it's certainly a weird bowl like shape inside. The roar of the fans is deafening for sure because of the shape and I'd love to go to the Camp Nou on a busy, noisy day (v Madrid) to get a comparison. Obviously Wembley has part of a roof though so that helps to keep the noise in but still. Anyway enjoy this incredible panoramic from my bro's phone.

IMG_20150420_WA0010.jpg

So the atmosphere was buzzing. A sea of flags in the air, balloons & streamers unleashed as the players came out. The cut down size chequered Villa flag rolled out just after the Liverpool flag came out (Villa had to cut it down due to Wembley standards so was pumped out fairly quickly as our usual one at home was too big apparently so wasn't as good as could have been).

We certainly set the tone for the match just as planned like the time against Man U but obviously this had a better result. Back in 2010 the Man U support was out sung by the Villa faithful and you could clearly hear it on TV. Not sure what it was like on TV this time but I guarantee you in the ground this time round the only times I heard Liverpool fans what so ever was about 10 or 20mins in when they finally sung YNWA to which Villa fans obviously then started to chant over - again as planned, although a song was proposed, a lot of us said it was too late and was also lame as fk that would never be learned - the usual ghost riders & boo's rang out. The only time after that we heard the pool fans was when they scored.

Quite sad really as that was the one thing I only feared, was their support being noisy. Nope. Quiet as a mouse and I wish our lot had chanted "shall we sing a song for you" or/and "we forgot you were even here" because honestly, they only sung when they were winning for all but what, 6mins? As Villa shortly equalised and I admit, I was nervous and gob smacked when it happened. Sorry Liverpool fans if you disagree but we couldn't hear you for s*** and it was clearly all Villa ringing around Wembley.

It had been all Villa and felt it was one of those games that your team would control the game, have chances but the other team would have little of the ball but look to break on the counter and punish the mistake.

You have to admit it was cruel, and Okore came on for an injured Baker not too long into the game and that also ended up with Liverpool's goal as it took a slight deflection off of Okore's knee as Coutinho's shot was actually going wide on review of the goal. Not taking anything away as it was a brilliant bit of play that punished Villa for not clearing it when they had the chance.

Benteke, Delph & Grealish were on fire however. Bossing the midfield and controlling play with some silky skills. Cleverley too added to it and so did Bacuna on the right flank going wide & adding so much pace there.

Clearly though it was down the left as Delph, Grealish & Benteke owned it, sorry to say it again but it was tactics Tim and those 3 pulled it off beautifully with some genius, creative, beautiful football that hasn't been seen at Villa for so so long.

It was well deserved by Villa and the onside/offside debate can f off. Yes, Balotelli was onside. Yes, the linesman made an error. However NO, it was not a goal because fans, including myself, spotted the bright yellow flag go up so the players must have and guess what, they stopped playing, the entire Villa team came to a stop as Balotelli once again played on (he took another shot into the stands early on after the ref had blown, something to which other players have been booked for in the past, just saying). The whistle had been blown well in advance yet he continued and shot for his own ego to which hilariously the Liverpool fans did cheer, out of thought that they had scored? Or was it joking? I don't know but it was funny, yes call it a bit of luck on Villa's side but it would have been cruel as Liverpool didn't deserve it and had done nothing all game to warrant a result.

They turned up the heat in the last 10mins or so and put pressure on but all failed. The celebrations commenced as what had happened just wouldn't sink in, we, Aston Villa, after years of dark days from MON walking out, leaving us with a massive wage bill for undeserving players, selling players we needed to keep yet never replaced (basically did what Newcastle fans are now starting with their owner, again). Without echoing what I've said in previous posts and what some of you all well know, it is a celebration of unreal events that we are still buzzing about. Pride, passion & strength is returning once again and given Villa fans something to cheer about after years & years of pain and a roller coaster of emotions and flirting with relegation these past 4-5 years. Can they get away from that dreaded image as fickle fans paint them and push on next season and get back up to the top half of the table?? Dare to dream.

Under Tim Sherwood he has given us "swagger" back, and dare I say for the first time in a very long time, I like Villa's manager. Believe it's the first time since Ron Atkinson!

Making our way out it was fantastic, Villa fans cheering & chanting. Random people shaking hands, hugging and we were invited to a lesbian's birthday... doesn't happen every day but I suppose happy people do things they may later regret... :bartomeu:

My brother in his silly state of happiness approached Liverpool fans that he spotted on the way back to the coach to congratulate them in a modest yet polite way as to not incite violence by saying "well done lads, the better team won..." :facepalm: I cringed, but thankfully these 4 lads turned around and replied "yeah, you did, Liverpool were disappointing". We shook hands and wished them a safe journey home and it gave me that reassurance that we all bleed the same colour blood and also some fans should remember here in this country, the majority of us all are English. Something that does annoy me a little bit, that the hatred is so strong at times yet they come together for the national team. Well unless it's bitter rivals like baggies & bluenose scum, they aren't usually best of friends if they are randoms, unless you can get the banter in.

However back to Liverpool fans, it's not the lads you need to worry about, it's the women!! :lol:

There was a bitter young woman who I think may have had a spat with her fella as he was shouting after her and she was clearly in a bad mood but my bro still, still had to try shake her hand and share his condolences but she was a bit... unsporting and told him where to go and said in her scouse accent "I ain't shaking your hand" or something along those lines... oh dear lmao wished her too a safe journey but with an added female dog comment te hehe jab. Tbh it was deserved because she was really sour so ,,!, to her.

Fans on the way home up the motorway both Liverpool & Villa fans on coaches and in cars were thumbs up to one another & applauding.

Such a great time, incredible day out. Can't imagine the pain Liverpool fans would have been in after that performance that we all know Liverpool can do better and that journey home would be even longer because of it, but give Villa credit and yourselves Liverpool fans, at least you're at the top portion of the league and battling for that top 4 spot. You have because of your 90's history at least for the foreseeable future got backing to come back year after year. Give Rodgers a chance, Rome wasn't built in a day. If he pulls off something like Lambert then yeah go ahead and get rid but it's a bit premature to go about calling for his head.

Criticise Villa fans for calling for Lambert's head when he & Lerner were drilling Villa into the ground but you lot take it all for granted and it's hypocritical.

Anyway, great win for Villa and showing they aren't done. Arsenal next in the FA Cup FINAL!!

Liverpool do Man City please! Beat them to that 4th spot and I hope Villa can do you a massive favour this weekend as Villa travel to the Etihad; honestly I don't think Villa can do it and win, but once again we can dream, we can hope. Other teams have done the damage to Citeh recently so why can't Villa... a lot to ask for and a lot of us around the World hate City for obvious reasons, so if you could find it in your hearts cheer on Villa to win against City and remember, it's football, it's a funny old game.

Bucky

Penya Member
I know that was a massive essay/dissertation but here's a snippet of an article from else where sharing their thoughts:

As over 30,000 Villa fans made their way down the M40 on Sunday, all were dreaming of a return trip in six weeks’ time. What was remarkable was that many of the travelling support were probably pretty confident of seeing Villa’s first outright win at Wembley in nearly two decades. What was even more remarkable was the confident, assured manner in which Villa turned this dream into a reality.

Here’s a look at the Good and, erm, the Bad and the Ugly of a truly memorable day.

Good

I’ll do my very best to keep this from rolling over into dissertation length. What a day, and what an on-field display to mark it. That was perhaps as complete a performance as we’ve seen from Villa in a long, long while, and there can be no question that Villa were the deserved winners.

Tim Sherwood got his tactics spot on and must be every bit as good a man manager and motivator as Paul Lambert was a terrible one. The Villa of old would have crumbled after Liverpool’s opener – Sherwood’s Villa were level within six minutes and then continued to dominate as they had for the first half-hour.

The difference from a couple of months ago is astounding – like a phoenix from the ashes, Villa’s belief has returned, and the players should be returning to Wembley in six weeks’ time really, truly feeling that they can write themselves into club folklore.

The midfield axis of Fabian Delph, Tom Cleverley and Ashley Westwood was absolutely tremendous, largely shutting out Philippe Coutinho, who was always bound to be an average Liverpool side’s only real threat. They played through us for the Brazilian to score, but aside from that one defensive lapse there was a bare minimum of threat posed by Liverpool for the entirety of the game.

We're still bouncing and pinching ourselves!

Booked our seats for Everton and my bro is sorting West Ham & Burnley (however I won't be here for West Ham sadly as I'll be soaking up the sun, sand, sea and s... err shade to my annoyance :shakeshead:).

In other news, now taken with a massive pinch of salt, word around the papers, rumour, speculation, reports etc etc...

A CHINESE consortium (as we had previously discussed as they, the Chinese, are yet to break in and put their foot in/stamp on European football) have been apparently spotted viewing their options.

They have announced, yet still secret, that they will within hours of the FA Cup Final final whistle look to seal the deal with Aston Villa IF they can secure Premier League status (believe lifting the cup doesn't matter, it's just so that it's out of the way so no one has to dwell on the take over and impact the team).

If they can avoid relegation the consortium take over is likely to happen as they know the potential and high standards of venue already in place surrounding Villa is well worth the 150m asking price.

4 miles away however baggies have put up their club for sale and the consortium have that as a "back up plan" apparently. If Villa fail to secure PL status then they could look to buy the Tesco bags otherwise interest in Crystal Palace is also been speculated as the deal with them is back up in the air.

It's all talk at the moment and the Chinese Consortium are very much looking to buy a PL team and will look to brand the club overseas that will help raise the profile & money...

I'd say it's only fair business at this point to keep options open, but at the same time it's a little annoying to think they are having a "back up plan" in our bitter rivals West Brom. That's like new investment deciding over Barça or to back Real Madrid as a back up plan... du faq...

Exciting times.

Kohe321

Really enjoyed reading through that, just as I did with the one you wrote about your experience watching the clasico with the Penya Blaugrana in London. Even though I don't follow Aston Villa at all I can't help but feel some of the excitement you're sharing. You do great write-ups, keep it up! :)

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans