Should Alves get a contract extension?

Should Alves get a contract extension?

• Yes, we absolutely need him!

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • No, Monty and Douglas got this!

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Neither, I have the perfect plan, and this is "please explain in the thread".

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kohe321

So as it turns out, polls are fun! :neymar:

Through a pretty hillarious rant on Instagram, Alves revealed that he hasn't moved for a deal with PSG or any other club as of yet, which means that he's still open for us to approach him about a contract extension. Though even with him raising his game and focus considerably this season, and with Lucho saying when asked in pressers that Alves is a very important player for the squad and that he hopes he continues in the club, the board of FC Barcelona has for some peculiar reason not approached him about a contract extension yet.

With the transferban in effect that at least prohibits us from moving new players into the squad until January of 2016, and with Alves's contract running out this summer, it is getting more and more important to find some solution to our RB problem.

So I ask you, Barcaforum, is this solution a new contract for Alves?

:alveshat:

Or can we trust Montoya and Douglas until January 2016?

:montoya: :douglas:

Or do you have any other great ideas on how to solve it?

:pep:

Last edited:

Bertus

Hope PSG won't get him. He's not as good as he was anymore, and his salary is beyond the roof.

Now about Barca... depends if there will be a sure signing in january or not.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
I'd take any of Darmian, Danilo, Mario Gaspar, etc etc. We can manage with Monty till Jan

Bucky

Penya Member
We need his cover until January '16, no question of a doubt. Hope he stays it would be a shame to see him leave so soon in our current condition. Yes he hasn't had the best of seasons but he's the best we've got for that position without taking someone out of their natural position.

pacp_96

Chief Of Footballing Matters
Just let him leave. Arrange a pre contract deal for X rb and play players like Bartra, Patric, Diagne, Godswill in that position until January.

serghei

It is simple. Sign Alves for 2-3 years and buy a top RB when the ban expires. In this way we will be more than covered with Alves for one more year, until the new RB gets used to the club. And, in the future, we also will be covered with Alves, if the RB gets injured/suspended/turns out to be a flop. So, the solution is Alves + another top RB. Then we could really rotate between the two depending on the game and the form of the player. You still need two top RBs in a team at the end of the day, people need to keep that in mind. At the moment we have one, and for me it is mind-boggling that people want to let that one single top RB we have go. :lol:

And stop with the wage thing. Alves deserves it.

Another thing, Alves at 33-34 could still be very competitive in one game. The problems with older player is that they can't deal as well with the frequency of the games -- they can't play 3 games in one week for example. But, given their experience, they could very well show up in one game and play that game extremely well. That's what you need for a 2nd choice RB. Not a mediocre youngster, but an experienced player who can step in at any moment during the season and do the right job in a key game. The CL final from 2009 comes to mind. We played Puyol at RB, 31 at the time, and Sylvinho at LB, 35 years old at the time. We were fortunate to have two extremely experienced players to make Alves' and Abidal's absences seem less important than they relly were.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

There should have been an option about the number of years .I would take Alves for couple of years but if he still demands 3 year deal then time to move on

F

forcabarca

As much as I/we hate him for his hot-cold performances, it is better that we retain him for at-least 2 more seasons. It gives us time to buy a good RB and to groom under Daniboy.

Leo_Messi

Yes, as the club is unable to buy a replacement this summer. You can always give him a 2 year long contract and then sell him/release him in the summer of 2016.

Alves is still better than Montoya although I think that the distance between them would be smaller had Montoya played on a more regular level.

F

Flavia

With the ban, yes. Montoya is not good enough to play until january. There are no options, thanks to zubi getting douglas.

Kohe321

The Douglas deal is getting more and more difficult to wrap my head around the more pressing this RB issue becomes. I mean what on earth was going on there?

Home of Barca Fans