Nabil Fekir

Riordon

Should be plan B for Coutinho

I like him but after I have been watching him a lot this season I dont think he will fit that role. He is more of a true number 10, if he comes he needs to play the position of Messi. He is nothing like Iniesta or Coutinho. His teammate Houssem Aouar, highly rated, fits that profile. Frenkie de Jong from Ajax as well. Now these two aren't as good as Fekir yet but they fit the profile we are looking for. Pep is heavily interested in Frenkie though. If we miss out on Coutinho, I would gladly take both. Frenkie can play all midfield positions and Aouar is one of the best performers in the league this season IMO.

wisconsincule

From the video it looks like he has more of a free role like Messi? Seems well miss out on him due to that fact?

Last edited:

Messi983

I like him but didn't watch him enough so how is his defensive workrate, could he possibly play CM in 4-3-3?

Also, if we are planning to use Griezmann as LW in 4-2-3-1, so we'd play him out of his best position (not saying he couldn't be used there as he played as a winger in Sociedad but that was years ago), wouldn't it be also worth to think about buying Fekir instead? I know they are different type of players but we could use him primarily as RW (where I think he'd fit the best into our lineup) and move Dembele to LW.

Frount four of Dembele, Messi, Fekir and Suarez could be fun to watch with first three also interchanging their positions behind Suarez. I know there could be concerns about them liking to play in the same spaces but I think EV would find a way to use them together. If some team would again decide to man mark Messi he could just "move away" to the right wing with Fekir/Dembele trying to create from AMC position.

Another thing is if we'll play 4-3-3 (and he couldn't play as CM) in some games and there would be rotations in the lineup I think Fekir is much more likely to accept bench than Griezmann. And he's also a few years younger. So while I would like to see Griezmann and/or Coutinho I think thanks to Dembele's versatility we could also think about bringing Fekir as a cheaper alternative to one or both of them.

Lyon is usually reasonable with asking prices for their star players and we are in good relationship with Aulas so we could probably get Fekir for around 50-60M. He also wouldn't be cup tied for the CL but I don't see Lyon selling in January so that's probably out of question for now.

We could then use some of that money we'd save buying Fekir instead of Griezmann to invest into a true longterm replacement for Suarez, maybe someone like Dolberg (though he's not at his best this season I still like his longterm potential) or Werner (we could maybe make a similar deal for him like Liverpool did with Naby Keita and buy him for 2019 or just let him stay there as it's very likely RBL will hold onto him for at least another season) but there are other options as well. It's clear Suarez is not going anywhere and with his recent improvement I think he could still give us a good season or two and Paco has proven to be a good rotational/backup player (but if we'd lose Suarez for a longer period Messi would probably move againt into his false 9 role) so I don't think we'll really need another typical goalscorer before 2019 (though Fekir would clearly add goals as well but I don't see him scoring 30+ goals). We need to get more creativity into this team now though and Fekir (alongside Dembele) would bring that. But of course at the same time we should also improve midfield as well.

Yannik

I like him a lot. from what I have seen he seems a similar flair like Thiago in terms of dribbling, first touch and creativity just more offensive. Can he play on the wings aswell?

krakdol

He's too slow and lazy IMO. Dont think he would be good for us and he plays in Messi's space.

As a French fan who knows French players, I told you he's overrated. Too lazy, doesn't defend, doesn't perform that well in great games. Even in Ligue 1 he looks lazy so guess what happens when he plays on a bigger stage...

On the other hand, you all underrate Griezmann. He's a near ballon d'or caliber player who just happens to play in a bad system in a so so team.

Great technically, great passer, great clinical scorer, makes people around him better, comes back to defend, plays smart... Still comfortably the best French player and still young. For 100 million he's an absolute steal in a market where Lukaku was bought for 90 (but still can't control the ball).

Best position is second striker though. He would do wonders with Messi up front. Suarez is getting old anyway, it's time to let him go.

This is the player Barcelona must buy, not Fekir. The difference is night and day.

Last edited:

Gilberto

Best position is second striker though. He would do wonders with Messi up front. Suarez is getting old anyway, it's time to let him go.

I haven't seen Griezmann play that often so I'll assume what you're saying is correct. My concern is that Messi isn't really a "first striker" either, so would it work to have Griezmann and Messi up front?

JamDav1982

I haven't seen Griezmann play that often so I'll assume what you're saying is correct. My concern is that Messi isn't really a "first striker" either, so would it work to have Griezmann and Messi up front?

Even Suarez was never really a proper CF. Messi seems to interact better with more all round attacking players than pure CFs.

Griezmann would be perfect as players really need to react to Messi who virtually has a free role and fill in gaps all over attack. Wonr ever be playing like a pure CF really.

Jair Ventura

Nabil Fekir had an excellent season two years ago, revealing himself as one of the biggest talents in Europe but suffered a serious injury in his first call up for the French national team. There were questions about how he'd look after he returned, and while he was inconsistent last season, he has stepped up and become the talisman Lyon so desperately needed upon the departure of Lacazette. He is actively leading them to one of their strongest seasons in nearly a decade, as Lyon currently sits 3rd on the Ligue 1 table, tied with Monaco for points and only a goal down on GD. Does that sound like someone who is lazy?

Speaking of Lyon, they've scored 46 goals in 19 domestic matches, leaving them tied with Monaco for the 5th highest goal scoring record amongst clubs belonging to Europes top 5 leagues. He dominated against Monaco, finishing with two goals and an assist while also scoring and or assisting against Marseille, Rennes, Saint-Etienne(derby), and Everton. Does that sound like someone that doesn't perform well in big matches?

These criticisms against Fekir are silly. He's performed at one of the highest levels in Europe through the first half of the season and features a profile that would allow him to hold an impactful role for even the biggest clubs. His close control, dribbling, hold up play and technique are all excellent. He can break the lines through his passing or he can play further forward and be clinical in front of goal. He's a well rounded player with few weaknesses, and it doesn't take watching him very long to realize he's class. You may or may not feel he fits Barca for one reason or another, but lets stop pretending he isn't a very good footballer.

Home of Barca Fans