Penya Blaugrana...

Kohe321

Good that the evening turned out to be a good experience with some good atmosphere in the end! :)

For a little while reading through it I feared it would be the story of a soured evening and a wasted el clasico experience... Man that bartender sounds like he should get a talking to from the manager, that's no way to treat another person, let alone a paying customer...

Great win yesterday! I can imagine the frustration and people yelling "PASS THE BALL!" whenever Neymar had it in the first half. :lol:

The reaction to both goals, and especially Suarez's gamewinner must have been great!

Last edited:

Bucky

Penya Member
Oh whoops, I should have said that, I think he was the owner! :lol:

I've read on some reviews that they weren't best pleased with some of the attitudes but it's the Penya chill out spot. Think he gets along with the regulars, PBL members (that have been there longer) and those who speak Spanish.

Or just cause I'm not fluent in Spanish or Catalan... yet.

It was, very nerve racking and I think because of the company & atmosphere it made the experience even more tense than watching it at home but the celebrations were well worth it!

They may have done (shouting pass etc) but it would have been in Spanish, was quite noisy to be fair because of the massive speakers with Spanish commentary (canal+), more oooooooo's and arrrrr's when misses. We all thought Messi's shot went in too. Then Alba in the closing minutes when he was 1 on 1 yet pinged it right into Casillas was just :facepalm:

Definitely bouncing when we scored though, can't wait to go again, journey home was a nightmare. Had Bristol City & gloomy Walsall fans around Euston giving me funny looks cause of my Barça shirt who were looking to get pissssht and wanted everyone to know about it (being loud in the local store), then some gobby youth's on the train home was fun too :rolleyes: Plus the train being held up by engineering on the tracks which backed up 3 trains before ours. Added another 40mins to the journey. 1hr 17mins exactly there, then 1hr 45mins home (planned) + 40 added.

In all the first bit when I arrived, not knowing anyone, the disgruntled barman/owner made it a bit sour to be honest but when introduced to people and the game came along it was more comfortable. Sure when I get to know others too it'll feel like home I'm sure. Just need some "football friends" :pep:

Last edited:

Bucky

Penya Member
Official links and information can be found to your local Penya on the Official Barça website.

It is important for all parties concerned that the good nature and promotion of the club is spread throughout the community & supporters a like.
We must remember to value & cherish the clubs history, respect, social & cultural integration, Catalan identity and solidarity.

Més que un club. Una bandera ens agermana.

*Things can be over looked so easily from ticket information to the first team fixture list; everything can be found on the Official FC Barcelona website, so I believe it's only fair as a Barça supporter to help & share the information that will help spread the knowledge of our club that can be either forgotten or not seen/heard.

Four pillars of Barça:

Official site:
DNA Barça
Values
Social commitment
La Masia

FC Barcelona, the member’s Club
FC Barcelona is “more than a club” in Catalonia because it is the sports club that most represents the country and is also one of its greatest ambassadors.

The slogan “more than a club” expresses the commitment that Futbol Club Barcelona has maintained and still maintains beyond what belongs in the realm of sport. For many years, this commitment specifically referred to Catalan society, which for many decades of the 20th century lived under dictatorships that persecuted its language and culture. Under these circumstances, Barça always supported Catalan sentiments, and the defense of its own language and culture. It was because of this that, even though Catalan was not an official language, in 1921 the club drafted its statutes in the language of Catalonia. It was also in this era that in 1918 the club adhered to a petition for a statute of autonomy for Catalonia, which was being demanded from all sectors of the catalanista movement.

The club’s orientation led to reprisals from the Spanish authorities and it was closed down for six months under the Primo de Rivera dictatorship. During the Second Spanish Republic, the club intensified its message of implication with Catalonia’s own culture and institutions. President Josep Sunyol led this process using the slogan “sport and citizen ship”, the purpose being to imply sports in the country’s social and cultural affairs. Sunyol, who was also a member of parliament, was shot dead early in the Spanish Civil War in 1936; and from then on, the club came to be an icon of the defence of the Republic, as shown by the tour of Mexico and the United States in 1937. When the Civil War ended, General Franco’s dictatorship sought to destroy the club’s social significance.

It enforced the Spanish version of its name and the removal of the four Catalan stripes from the crest. Despite the dictatorship’s persistence, in the late 1960s the club starting recovering its former spirit, as made so evident by the speeches of President Narcís de Carreras, the man who coined the famous nation of being “more than a club” in 1968. Outside of Catalonia, in many parts of Spain, Barça also became symbolic of democracy and anti-centralism. When democracy returned after the death of Franco, the club maintained its social commitment and new ways of supporting charitable causes emerged, which would later be encompassed by the creation of the club’s Foundation. Now in times of globalization, Barça has extended its social commitment to the rest of the planet, with a specially significant event being the signing of an agreement with Unicef in 2006, which was a way of saying that a sports club should not be marginal to problems going on in society, in this case, the plight of children around the world. Because of this, Barça continues to be “more than a club” both in Catalonia and elsewhere in the world, and is implied in numerous cultural, social and charity initiatives.

Catalan identity
Since it was founded, FC Barcelona has always been firmly rooted in its country, Catalonia, a commitment that has arisen out of Catalan society and that is understood by Barça supporters in the rest of Spain and the world. The club projects, with conviction and firmness, the image of Catalonia around the world. Barça defends the idea of a multicultural, integrating, fair and caring Catalonia.

Universality
When the club anthem says “It doesn’t matter where you are from” it is expressing the spirit of a club that is open to everyone, and that brings together fans from the five continents in a united brotherhood, and also expresses history and the way half of its founders were not Catalan. FCB has members and supporters clubs from more than 50 countries, from Cameroon to China, and millions of supporters that typify the wonderful unity of the club.

Social commitment
Barça is an open, integrating and caring club, and on a daily basis makes this patently clear, whether through the club’s own programmes run through the Foundation, or through agreements with such international institutions as UNICEF, or through collaborations with such local associations as the Food Bank. The projects it develops can be related to education, to the promotion of arts and culture, to community support or to developmental aid.

Democracy
The club members are also its owners and decide democratically who will run the club. The democratic principle is one of the essential pillars of the club, and has only been neglected when dictatorships have prevented it. At present, Barça is one of the few major European clubs that are still governed democratically, something else that makes it so unique. - Official site

Everything you need to know about FCB Penyes (or Penya) aka "Supporters Clubs":

Peñas/Penya

This covers all the information from Penyista card advantages, Supporters' club agenda, congress keynote address, regulations, and all the Official Supporters clubs listed here in the 3 areas.

I hope this helps you find everything you need to know but as always, feel free to ask if you need to know more. Moltes gràcies!

Last edited:
I really enjoyed hearing your story Bucky. I definitely could appreciate how that felt to initially be around and not initially having any football friends there. I am definitely not a super outgoing person around people I don't know at first.

Bucky

Penya Member
Thanks buddy, I went to the Penya again for the game vs Sevilla and they were again very friendly, got talking to more as there wasn't many there this time (get's crowded for big games vs RM & CL fixtures).

I'm still not the greatest at starting convo and I'm guilty of having crappy responses & often think of something better that I should have said later on after the conversation has long since ended :lol:

Got there quite early and even though there was a massive queue, it was actually for the other boat so had to make my way through - was funny when I had to repeat 3 times I was going to Bar&Co, had a Barça shirt on and not exactly "dressed for a club" lol

Really felt like home and saw a familiar face, bar man was awesome too and I think recognised me which was cool. So the 3 of us chatted about football both Prem & La Liga. Was grateful for a beautifully cold Estrella, had got a march on from Euston & through the metro plus it was fairly warm & me with a jacket on as to not attract to much unwanted attention (seeing as it's London and football day)...

Oh, ordered some tapas and wow.

Patatas Bravas, gorgeous. Smells amazing and so so good. The chorizo dish as well was very tasty and cannot wait to go down on Wednesday with the Mrs for the PSG game! Going to order the serrano croquettes this time too along with other stuff. Good food, good company, good beer!

:cheers:

Highly recommend people join a Penya if they want to be more involved in the club & supporters. For those in the UK, there is the Union but they're based online. Not to take anything away from them but I prefer meeting other fans in person, it's more sociable. People can tend to be silly when masked behind a screen & have anonymity. Obviously there are costs but I was very surprised by the cost of train tickets being so cheap. Granted it's not for everyone but once you get your feet wet it's hard to keep them dry.

Great bunch down in London and I appreciate it's a long distance but hopefully I can get down when I can and be a part of the Penya.

Last edited:
The nearest penya to me is Los Angeles which is 6 hours drive away. I have started an Arizona supporters of Barcelona facebook group for now and we shall see how it goes. I know it is an extremely long term goal to wish it could form into a penya but for now, it is mostly online and gathering up people and already talking about trying to meet up for matches for those of us that are nearest each other in this hot state.

frog-fcb

What way are you getting on with it tattoedfootballfan me and a few others set up one a few years ago in northern ireland its growing slowly for us but one of the biggest problems is getting the word out to all fans

Home of Barca Fans