Barca can buy players this summer, says Fifa

While I disagree that our biggest weakness is the midfield position (we're weakest at RB), I completely agree about going after Gundogan this summer. As you say, he's unlikely to become cup-tied next season, and if he is planning to leave this summer anyway, Dortmund could enjoy him for half a season longer before he moves to Barcelona if they reach this agreement with us. I think this would place us in a better negotiating position than other clubs, especially if they were to get relegated (something I really, really hope they don't get), it would be good for them to have him for the first half of the season while still having concluded a transfer.

I haven't followed Dortmund too closely this season, does anyone know what the status of Gundogan is right now, has he said anything about wanting to stay?
We've always played with a defensive-FB/Quasi-CB (Abidal) under Pep, and I think that Mascherano could be that player under Lucho. His offensive contribution might be close to nil (besides his long balls), but he has all the qualities to become the best defensive RB in the world, and in that role his 2 main weaknesses (height & passing) would matter a lot less. So I view our need for a RB in the same light as our CB issue: we absolutely need a long term solution, but unless we can find a WC player (or with the potential to be), then buying another RB or CB shouldn't be that much of an improvement to justify the cost.

PhilS

We've always played with a defensive-FB/Quasi-CB (Abidal) under Pep, and I think that Mascherano could be that player under Lucho. His offensive contribution might be close to nil (besides his long balls), but he has all the qualities to become the best defensive RB in the world, and in that role his 2 main weaknesses (height & passing) would matter a lot less. So I view our need for a RB in the same light as our CB issue: we absolutely need a long term solution, but unless we can find a WC player (or with the potential to be), then buying another RB or CB shouldn't be that much of an improvement to justify the cost.

I've seen Masch play at RB only once, and I was immediately convinced he is the best RB on this squad. I think that these days, his passing is one of the strongest parts of this game. If Masch is on your team, he has to be on the field. Right now, I would rank him as the third best Barca player. The other 3 Barca CBs are now all playing so well that Lucho has to consider position alternatives for Masch.

Home of Barca Fans