The new TV deal for FC Barcelona

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Mediapro is Catalan company. They are accusing Barca for selling out to Madrid based Telefonica. They also claim they offered a better deal.

Barcadub

13.3 million euro a year for 5 years.

1 friendly to be played in Latin america.

WIFI will be installed in the Nou Camp over the next few months.

sabby

One of the main reason EPL generates so much revenue is through tv broadcast, especially in Asia. Even middle level clubs have fan following because people can watch almost all the matches. So when there's no big club match, people would still have to watch Swansea vs Cardiff since no other league match is on at that time. Most of the liga matches happen after 12.30 in the night or even later. When the liga authority realizes this and changes the time a few hours earlier to accommodate Asian viewers, they can generate millions of euros in tv rights. I'm not talking huge changes, just moving many of the matches by a mere 3 hours before would do the trick.

I bet that the tv spectator population of Barca-Atletico wouldn't be even half of that of Arsenal vs Spurs.

Alik

One of the main reason EPL generates so much revenue is through tv broadcast, especially in Asia. Even middle level clubs have fan following because people can watch almost all the matches. So when there's no big club match, people would still have to watch Swansea vs Cardiff since no other league match is on at that time. Most of the liga matches happen after 12.30 in the night or even later. When the liga authority realizes this and changes the time a few hours earlier to accommodate Asian viewers, they can generate millions of euros in tv rights. I'm not talking huge changes, just moving many of the matches by a mere 3 hours before would do the trick.

I bet that the tv spectator population of Barca-Atletico wouldn't be even half of that of Arsenal vs Spurs.

I don't know... The EPL is already well "established". Few people watch La Liga here, and it doesn't have anything to do with the time of the matches. Why would an Arsenal supporter stop watching his team?

EPL has a number of "big" teams: Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, City. Matches with those teams will draw more spectators than any La Liga match bar Real-Barca. Part of the reason for this has been the way Barca and Real have been steamrolling opposition over the past seasons.

On a side note, for people with no TVs here, we don't want La Liga matches to show at the same time as BPL as there would be no chance of La Liga match prevailing over BPL in a bar/restaurant.

This is all based on my own experience. I have no idea how it is in Asia.

pacp_96

Chief Of Footballing Matters
Will.the barca games still be on sky sports in the uk then

Hope so. That's what I was wondering. If the TV rights are going to be shared will all of our games still be broadcast on sky or will they just be given a random selection of games every week?

Bucky

Penya Member
That's what Sky Sports 5 was set up for though wasn't it? To cover EU games. I would rather pay a fee to have Barça TV even if it's broadcast in Spanish or Català.

frog-fcb

That's what Sky Sports 5 was set up for though wasn't it? To cover EU games. I would rather pay a fee to have Barça TV even if it's broadcast in Spanish or Català.

But if a different company now own barcas rights to games they might not let sky broadcast it so for next year we could have no barca and no cl on sky. An english version of barca tv would be awesome as i currently am paying £40 pm for sky sports and barca is basically all i watch bar the odd rugby match

pacp_96

Indeed.

Even an English fan of a club like Man United can't watch all (or even the majority) of games through Sky. I'm guessing that's because of the shared TV rights. Just hoping the same doesn't happen with Spanish football coverage when the new TV deal is done.

pacp_96

If they don't have the broadcasting rights then it won't matter what the channel was for.

Bucky

Penya Member
Ah that's crap =/

Assuming they won't bother with Barça TV being able to reach us in the UK because the demand isn't high enough? Unless they can allow it to be viewed through online stream; after all the in's & outs of legal mumbo jumbo.

pacp_96

At least it will make it cheaper for us if that happened. Wouldn't bother if I couldn't watch barca games.

Bucky

Penya Member
When you went to Barcelona were you able to watch Barça TV? It's pretty awesome. Believe they do show the games live but after games they do have highlights and then the full match at some point. Also showing training, behind scenes, talk as well as the junior/infant & women's teams.

pacp_96

When you went to Barcelona were you able to watch Barça TV? It's pretty awesome. Believe they do show the games live but after games they do have highlights and then the full match at some point. Also showing training, behind scenes, talk as well as the junior/infant & women's teams.

No I didn't get to. Is it a bit like MUTV or Liverpool TV in this country?

Home of Barca Fans