Premier League is getting a big financial advantage due to rich TV deal

Altomonte

How can La Liga (in particular smaller clubs) keep the best players when English teams will have much more money? Barca and Real Madrid will still be competitive but other La Liga teams may not be able to hold on to their key players. Other European countries will suffer from same problem.

khaled_a_d

They need to start working on other areas to improve their income
The Spanish federation need to get rid of some of the stupid rules like obligatory buyout clauses and that players becomes FA at 16 .Spanish teams lose players due to both and now when the EPL get richer they will need extra protection to keep their players
Also Spanish teams moving in the right direction .A.Madrid getting Chinese investors,Valencia sold and both clubs will get new stadium along Bilbao new Stadium it will help the league .with better proper marketing they will improve financial situation

S7_MUFC

They need to start working on other areas to improve their income
The Spanish federation need to get rid of some of the stupid rules like obligatory buyout clauses and that players becomes FA at 16 .Spanish teams lose players due to both and now when the EPL get richer they will need extra protection to keep their players
Also Spanish teams moving in the right direction .A.Madrid getting Chinese investors,Valencia sold and both clubs will get new stadium along Bilbao new Stadium it will help the league .with better proper marketing they will improve financial situation
I don't see how two things are related...The only thing that can be done is to share the TV income more proportionately and even doing that will mean Real and Barca falling miles behind United and Bayern....If Financial fair play was implemented correctly without City and PSG raising their income via shady commercial deal than Barca and Real could give up their hold on the Broadcast money because only team ahead of them even if they get lower revenue would be us and Bayern and they can cope with such scenario...But as things stand they will fall below City and PSG too so they will never agree to share Broadcast revenue with smaller teams in order to create more competitive league..

khaled_a_d

I don't see how two things are related...The only thing that can be done is to share the TV income more proportionately and even doing that will mean Real and Barca falling miles behind United and Bayern....If Financial fair play was implemented correctly without City and PSG raising their income via shady commercial deal than Barca and Real could give up their hold on the Broadcast money because only team ahead of them even if they get lower revenue would be us and Bayern and they can cope with such scenario...But as things stand they will fall below City and PSG too so they will never agree to share Broadcast revenue with smaller teams in order to create more competitive league..

The revenue share will be done ,Barca & RM agreed to take less percentage but right now even if the revenue share is equal the difference between Liga deal and EPL deal is enormous
Liga team will have less money no matter how much sharing they do at least for the next 7-8 years until they achieve better marketing and can get deals comparable to the EPL
Until then they need to realize they are the poorer league and take steps to protect their own business ,no more Cesc leaving for nothing or Arsenal capable of buying Gayà for 18M release clause

Kerrybai

I don't see what the big deal is? The extra tv money in England will go into the players pockets, and it will also go to many Spanish teams. The player prices will inflate even further and the smaller Spanish teams will sell their mediocre and quality players for ridiculous sums to to English teams, which in turn will help the Spanish teams out of financial trouble... and then these teams will replace said talent through their youth systems like they have always done.

People here do realise the the english lower divisions have more many than many of the top teams in Europe, yet they still play shit football as they are awash with overpriced 'stars'. I mean look at QPR who paid 12.5 million pounds for Christopher Samba!! I say keep that tv deal rising, the English will still get battered in Europe.

hamad138

Banned
I don't see what the big deal is? The extra tv money in England will go into the players pockets, and it will also go to many Spanish teams. The player prices will inflate even further and the smaller Spanish teams will sell their mediocre and quality players for ridiculous sums to to English teams, which in turn will help the Spanish teams out of financial trouble... and then these teams will replace said talent through their youth systems like they have always done.

People here do realise the the english lower divisions have more many than many of the top teams in Europe, yet they still play shit football as they are awash with overpriced 'stars'. I mean look at QPR who paid 12.5 million pounds for Christopher Samba!! I say keep that tv deal rising, the English will still get battered in Europe.

If it would be that easy....

The TV-Deal is for 3 Years , after the 3Years there will be a even bigger bidding war which will result even more redicilous money. How much Messi earns? 20Mil? United and Chelsea can pay him in some Years 60€Million.
Now convince a Player to stay when someone gives u 60Million instead of 20Million. I know money isnt everything but the Money Advantage is too big.

The next Step for the Premier League will be to build the best Stadiums and then get the Best Players in the World, they will be NBA 2.0

The only Country I think has the Power to withstand the Premier League is Germany, because Germany is the biggest Market in Europe and they have some stupid Rules for PayTV and FreeTV and the 50+1 Rule which they can get rid easily.

khaled_a_d

Money usually wins man ,that is the deal unless we are living in some disney fairytail .we will go the Serie A route if the financial difference continued to increase

JamDav1982

I think in the future if the tv deals etc in England are so huge compared to other countries then things will change.

Wouldnt be surprised if clubs from the other countries set up their own league or force Uefa to put a spending cap on what teams can do in terms of fees and wages.

I dont think teams will just take it that England are going to just dominate the scene financially in such a big way.

Kerrybai

Money usually wins man ,that is the deal unless we are living in some disney fairytail .we will go the Serie A route if the financial difference continued to increase

Then please explain to me where all the English teams have been in the Europea league? Why are they still getting beaten by financially broke Spanish teams?

Money does usually win in the end, Chelsea etc... but enough most of that money will line the pickets of overpaid footballers and the superiority of Spanish youth football will help to balance things out. The reason Italy is so screwed is their inability to produce enough of their own talent to compensate for a lack of funds.

Besides Madrid and Barca make enough from commercial dealings to go toe to toe with the big guns in England, so Spains top 2 should be fine.

khaled_a_d

Then please explain to me where all the English teams have been in the Europea league? Why are they still getting beaten by financially broke Spanish teams?

Money does usually win in the end, Chelsea etc... but enough most of that money will line the pickets of overpaid footballers and the superiority of Spanish youth football will help to balance things out. The reason Italy is so screwed is their inability to produce enough of their own talent to compensate for a lack of funds.

Besides Madrid and Barca make enough from commercial dealings to go toe to toe with the big guns in England, so Spains top 2 should be fine.

I've not said the EPL currently the best league because I've actually believe otherwise .but those crazy tv deals would make it tougher to keep with them and even tebas warned about it
I've said also in my 1st post that Liga can adapt to the situation and they are actually starting too .the market in England is pretty saturated and there is plenty of investors out there who wants to explore new markets and Spain is very attractive spot
But they will need to make some adjustements IMo .some of the current rules are unfair and it might be the time to change it to protect the club best interests IMO

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism
Ugly.

Spurs get more money than a Juventus for example, how can anybody compete with wages, transfers. Ridiculous

Rich getting richer

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
It's only going to increase too in England. £5.1b is only the start. In 2019 that will increase as there will be more competition.

Plus clubs who already have their own tv channels - man u, arsenal, chelsea and Liverpool in the future they want to have complete control over television and for every single one of their games to be shown. Think how much they can sell that on via different media outlets.

JamDav1982

It's only going to increase too in England. £5.1b is only the start. In 2019 that will increase as there will be more competition.

Plus clubs who already have their own tv channels - man u, arsenal, chelsea and Liverpool in the future they want to have complete control over television and for every single one of their games to be shown. Think how much they can sell that on via different media outlets.

Clubs wont sell the rights individually and if they ever do Man Utd will absolutely dwarf the other teams with what they can earn.

S7_MUFC

And isn't CL money also partially distributed based on how much each country's broadcaster pays for CL rights? That's the major reason I'm so worried about top 4 finish this season because according to my estimates English teams will get around 80 million pounds if they reach knockout stages next season because the amount paid by English broadcaster(BT?? don't know who won the rights) is set to double from next season...

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features...ill-be-completely-different-what-lower-league

Fantastic article.

"Clubs will wither and die. In 10 years it will be completely different" What lower-league chairmen think of new TV deal

The Premier League's bumper £5.14 billion television contract could change the landscape of British football as we know it, as Richard Edwards discovers...

Richard Scudamore was, understandably, grinning like a Cheshire cat as the Premier League’s eye-watering new television deal was announced last week.

In Yeovil, Accrington and countless other locations across the Football League, there was barely a dry eye in the house too – but for very different reasons.

John Fry, chairman of League One table-proppers Yeovil Town, has seen most things during his 23 years at the helm of a club who last season found themselves playing on the same pitch as the likes of Leicester City and QPR – two clubs who could benefit from the fresh influx of TV billions.

The Glovers may have faced both sides last season but it wasn't, as Fry tells FFT, a level playing field.

“I’ve been chairman of this club for 23 years. It was tough back then and it’s tougher now,” says Fry. “We hear about all of these sums and all our players look up and see these incredible amounts of money – it makes it harder and harder to be really sensible with our playing budget. As incomes in the Premier League go up, most of it goes on wages. That’s not just consuming valuable revenue but also detracting from what we’re doing in the lower leagues, because we’re trying to pay what we can afford.

“That leads to more unemployment, and it’s killing off the sizes of squads and potential for young English players to play football. I don’t think the elite player system is working overall. It might be for clubs in the top flight, but it’s not working further down.”

If the unthinkable happens from Fry’s perspective and Yeovil endure successive relegations, they will, in all likelihood, find themselves coming up against Accrington Stanley in League Two next season.

Stanley's Sorrow

Fry can then share a pint with Stanley chairman Peter Marsden, who, like him, is disillusioned with a situation that puts more money into the pockets of clubs and players who already have plenty.

“I wouldn’t mind if this money was going to be used to good effect – but it won’t be, it just won’t be,” he sighs.

“The vast majority will go towards paying more inflated wages, because as soon as clubs get money they just try to buy someone more expensive. The best players hold out for more money, and more and more players will once again be coming in from outside the UK, which will stop the younger players coming through.”

Stanley themselves survive on average attendances of just over 1,500 – gates which consistently fall steadily each season. It’s a hand-to-mouth existence for a club synonymous with the English game, but the Accrington chairman doesn’t just fear for the future of his own side. Marsden worries for society as a whole.

stanley-fans.jpg

“It’s very important to keep football going for the local community – it should be a source of civic pride for towns up and down the country that have a professional club,” he says.

“I think most fans don’t even mind if their club isn’t firing on all cylinders and going for promotion every year, it’s just knowing that you can come along and take your kids in the way that your father took you.

“When you endanger that because clubs are either going bust or having to go semi-professional, then you’re not just killing football, you’re actually killing part of the British way of life.

“I feel so strongly about it that I think the government should get involved. Because, left to its own devices, football seems to make a bit of a hash of it.”

"The average fan is being taken for a ride"

What is unquestionable is the Premier League’s ability to make money. And lots of it. The gripe for clubs lower down the league is that, despite the solidarity payments made by the top flight, only a tiny percentage of that cash is filtering down to clubs who need it badly.

“There’s very little in the way of parachute payments, from the Championship coming down to League One,” says Fry. “All we got was £120,000, but our revenues drop as much as £5m.

“That’s the situation we’re in and we’ll deal with it, but listen, I’m in my 70s and a lot of the older generation are supporting clubs in the lower leagues.

“When they die off, who’s going to be left supporting clubs like Yeovil? For a lot of the kids around here now, Chelsea or Manchester United is the first-choice club and then it’s Yeovil.

“The more you put Premier League matches on the big screen, it kills our gate off. When the Champions League is on and clashes with one of our fixtures, the gate drops off dramatically.

“Will the lower leagues survive? Will clubs like us survive? I think a certain number of clubs will wither and die. In 10 years’ time it will be a completely different pyramid as far as professional football is concerned. There will still be the upper end of the Premier League and probably a second tier – and then there will be the rest.”

Marsden, meanwhile, believes the latest deal simply rubs salt into the wounds of the clubs and fans who can only dream of seeing their sides rub shoulders with the likes of Chelsea, Manchester City and Arsenal.

“We are part of the rich tapestry of English football,” he says. “If you take us as a club, Accrington were one of the 12 founder members of the Football League. The only word that springs to mind is ‘obscene’ when I think how much money goes into the Premier League, and how little comes out to the small clubs.

“I just don’t understand how the average football fan doesn’t buy into the fact that they’re being taken for a ride. They could be letting everyone in free and it still wouldn’t make a blind bit of difference, but they won’t do that – all that money coming in will just disappear into the pockets of players and agents.”

Time will tell whether that prediction is correct – but history suggests he won’t be too far wide of the mark.

Just my two cents: The bubble is bound to burst eventually.

Home of Barca Fans