Premier League is getting a big financial advantage due to rich TV deal

S7_MUFC

FFP did cap the spending of City.
Temporarily until they came up with extra commercial revenue magically..

It wasn't an argument, it was a statement. FFP dictates to Monaco's ownership group, one that actually possesses the means to carry out their project, what they can and cannot spend while allowing the Glazers to finance 100's of millions of dollars in debt without consequence. Speaking strictly in terms of business, the former is far healthier than the latter but it's Monaco who is punished.
Well if you think Glazers' takeover of United shouldn't have been allowed than I agree with you but you said that clubs shouldn't be able to finance the debt which wasn't occurring due to operational losses(something FFP focuses on) and United were still making profit so I don't see how you can blame FFP for allowing United to pay interest on debt and still make profit. I'm probably being a bit harsh on you on this but that's because I know how bad things got for us and there were even talks about selling Old Trafford during the heyday of green and gold movement and we bought Antonio Valencia to replace Ronaldo due to the debt so It makes me angry that people say UEFA allowed them to keep the debt like it gave us some sort of competitive advantage on the likes of city..

So because they generate healthy revenue that means they've circumvented FFP despite the fact that they were punished?
Basically yes because their revenue is basically cash injection from their owners in terms of sponsorship. Surely you will at least acknowledge that part of PSG's commercial revenue of 327 million(compared to Real's revenue of 230 million) is partly due to owners sponsoring their own team...I'm not saying there's anything wrong here but I'm just highlighting how FFP is being circumvented since you're completely unaware of this and say that they generate healthy revenue..

Clubs have been purchased by billionaires at increasing rates over the last decade so I'm not sure where your doubts are coming from. Sharing TV money equally isn't a solution because every leagues tv rights carry differing values.
Even billionaires won't be enough to turn an also ran clubs into title challengers and there wont be any point in investing in mid table club into slightly higher placed mid table club as someone already mentioned amount it took to turn PSG and City into title contenders and don't forget that these clubs aren't owned by your typical billionaires and are instead owned by billionaires whose family happen to rule two of the wealthiest countries in the world and have access to trillions not billions. You keep highlighting Monaco but forget that the owner started their project based on Monaco's tax free status which meant they could afford to pay their players half the money other clubs paid. Real and Barca made had huge advantage over EPL clubs when the smaller tv money pot was shared equally so I don't see how it's not possible..

Last edited:

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
It is as simple as this in all essence.

Firstly it is that the english language is the most recognisable and used language in the world.

Secondly it is that from my knowledge english football started showing football on television earlier than any other nation.

Sure its very arguable all of the top 4 in spain, Italy, Germany and PSG in France are all better than the top 4 in england and all the middle of the table clubs in those leagues are better than against the english teams.

However what you fail to realise is that it doesn't matter what the strength is of the individual team is. That isn't the main contributor factor as to why the Premier League is the most popular league in the world.

Firstly this fanfare didn't start in 1992 when the premier league was invented. Sure it kicked started the new found wealth distribution and created a backbone of new found support across the world however you need to look deeper than that.

Look at the demographics of the supporters in Asia, Far East, Northern Europe, North America, Africa and Australia. The main percentage of them are in the 18-35 age group. They didn't just turn on the television one day and started to support a premier league team. They gained information from their Parents, Grand Parents, Uncles. Looked at old media footage, looked at other resources available to them. So what age and time would their parents and uncles etc (who are still very committed football supporters themselves) would have been when they watched say the FA Cup final for the first time or saw english teams play in europe?

They'd have been 13-18 years old and which two teams at that time under two of the most inspiring and charismatic managers ever had they been watching? Yes that's right Manchester Utd and Liverpool. Those two clubs underpinned the new supporter base of english teams in those embryotic years when those people watched football for the first time in those countries. Those years were the founding place for what we see today imo.

As the two biggest clubs in england and amongst the top ten in europe they under-pinned the new fanfare that english football we see today. It kept growing and growing and growing its viewership.

An example of this is Liverpool in Australia in 2013. We haven't won the league in more than two decades or any other really important trophy since 2006. Yet still we managed to sell out both stadiums we played at full of passionate Liverpool supporters from Australia and its neighbouring countries who decided as we were in Australia it was the easiest way to see us live. Those people didn't decide to watch us a year, 2 years or 3 years ago. It started in the 70's and through generations stands today.

As the Premier League started in 1992 english football was already on its way as being the No.1 league in terms of viewership. However what they didn't have and what Serie A and La Liga did have was a wealth factor. Which what Sky brought to the table.

Another history lesson for you. Before the premier league started in 1992 in english football there was what was known as the big five of Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Everton and Spurs. They wanted to break away because at that time the television money was divided up between all 92 professional clubs in england which meant that those five clubs - who were on tv more times than any of the others - were losing out.

So as Alan Sugar said to Murdoch "Blow them out of the water" (ITV which is an english terrestial tv channel bidding for the premier league rights in 92). So Murdoch did and from then on we see the winning bid getting bigger and bigger to what it is today.

I agree it is getting out of hand. Rooney on £300k p/w and Sterling on £200k p/w is absolutely crazy when neither are world class elite players. I can name others on ridiculous wages too. It is getting out of hand.

However no matter the quality of the individual team it will still be more attractive because we've embedded that support for 30 plus years and with the games on television even more so abroad than it is in england each generation of supporters will encourage the next generation about how they've got into english football and to support a club.

Only Real, Barca, Juve, Inter, Milan and Bayern can either bypass that and go beyond or get within touching distance. As people have said on here Real and Barca and Latin America sewn up. But even in Latin America premier league football is popular.

For me the most intriguing race is the middle eastern region. As they've only got into football really in the 21st century so that will be intriguing.

Jair Ventura

The most widely spoken language in the world, by a significant margin, is Chinese/Mandarin. Followed by Spanish and English, with Hindi and Arabic rounding out the top 5.

Beyond East Asia, the markets with the greatest potential for growth are West Asia and Africa; Arabic and French speaking countries.

The French league will bleed in the interim but as Aljeezera/beIN Sports continues to grow, so to will the footprint of French football. They're already pushing Canal to the brink in France and may have replaced them outright if the UCL weren't the priority through the last round of negotiations. Next time they sit down at the table I suspect they'll be proposing figures that their competitors cannot match, flooding money into the French leagues that otherwise would not be possible if not for the Qatari interest.

Long story short, Qatar will continue investing in the French league and through said investment Ligue 1 and PSG will grow immensely. I have no doubt that they'll be a booming success in the aforementioned French and Arabic speaking countries as those markets develop in the coming years.

Further, in my experience there isn't a huge following of the Premier League in Central and South America because there's far fewer footballers from the region that play in the UK relative to La Liga and Serie A. Partially explaining why PSG was willing to spend what they did to sign Cavani, Luiz, and Di Maria; doing so expands their global footprint. Viewers follow the stars of their respective countries, and if their countrymen are playing in Spain, Italy, and increasingly France, those will be the domestic leagues they follow. In Brazil, PSG has become relevant for that very reason.

The same can be said for La Liga sans the Qatari dynamic. They'll suffer now, but as the sport continues to globalize the infrastructure they've established in South America through Barca and Real will prove hugely beneficial. The English are the first to benefit from the globalization of the sport, but they won't be alone.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans