Barca to re-consider Qatar deal

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
FC Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has suggested that a worsening of the "social and political" situation in Qatar has led the club to question its commercial relationship with the Gulf State.

33p9grl.jpg

The deal with Qatar Sports Investments worth 165 million euros was signed by former club president Sandro Rosell in 2010, when Bartomeu was a club vice-president.

5 year-165 million euros contract was controversial at the time and has since been criticized by prominent figures including former club president Joan Laporta.

The future of the Qatar sponsorship, which expires in 2016, is likely to be one of the major topics of discussion in the build-up to this summer's presidential election at the Camp Nou.

Bartomeu told Catalan media that change in the situation in Qatar meant the club were reassessing the deal:

"We will look at other options -- we are obliged to do that"

"It ends in 2016. We are sensitive to the current situation in Qatar, which has changed since four years ago. Now there are social and political aspects which were not there when we signed."

"We must be sensitive about what is happening and make the best decision for Barcelona. [Agents] IMG are studying it and working with us. We will see when it happens in October 2015."

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I think there's no doubt we can. ManUtd and Real got better deals, didn't they? Bayern is somewhere up there as well.

Leo_Messi

The club's aim should be to obtain an even better shirt sponsorship deal than what Qatar has been able to offer.

$70 million annually or so should be the goal. Currently Qatar Airways is offering $70 million annually.

If Laporta back, kits will be without sponsor. Maybe just Unicef will stay on it.

I very much doubt this.

FC B

I'd love to cash in as much as possbile from nice good sponsors. In today's football it is impossible to compete with those financial corporations like rm if u're not economically sound.

Leo_Messi

I'd love to cash in as much as possbile from nice good sponsors. In today's football it is impossible to compete with those financial corporations like rm if u're not economically sound.

Exactly.

I don't particularly care about the nature of the future shirt sponsor as long as it is a financially strong sponsorship deal.

Morality has little place in huge businesses such as top football clubs. Anyone thinking the opposite is naive.

If for instance Saudi Aramco were willing to become the new shirt sponsor and were offering the club $150 annually I would have no problem with that whatsoever.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
You guys do remember that Laporta was first to sign shady sponsorship deals?
Forgot about Bunyodkor?

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
We allegedly have 340 million supporters around the globe, more than any other club. If each of us would chip in $1 a year, we will have the biggest sponsor deal ever, a USD$340m deal. :) And we can just print "Culé" on our jersey.

Home of Barca Fans