Barca to re-consider Qatar deal

stadium naming.

And of course we'd get less money than with a shirt sponsor, I suspect that fact alone will be enough reason to justify keeping one.

Last edited:

Leo_Messi

If Qatar Airways is acceptable then why not go for Saudi Aramco?

Royal Dutch Shell, Walmart or Sinopec (the world's largest company by revenue) would be excellent too. They could afford to double Chevron's deal with Man Utd. I would want us to have a Chinese sponsor for marketing purposes.

Anyway Qatar Airways should at least double their offer. This current board is clueless.

Alarcón

Why not? Why would Chevron sponsor a European football club?

First of all, it's GM (Chevrolet), not Chevron. Second, only companies who need attention sponsor football clubs. Energy companies like Shell and Sinopec don't. Have you ever seen a Sinopec ad in your entire life? And Walmart... they only have stores in the US. Why would they pay dozens of millions if only 10% of those who watch Barça matches are a potential target audience?

The club is run by a moronic board. FC Barcelona should be much, much better when it comes to marketing. The potential is huge.

We should be earning more but let's not exaggerate. Barça plays in La Liga, a league with not even half the marketing potential of the Premier League. People all over the world watch Chelsea or United play terrible sub-par teams. Who watches Barça-Rayo except for fans, and RM fans?

Kohe321

You should always aim high. Less than that could do it.

Why not? Why would Chevron sponsor a European football club?

The club is run by a moronic board. FC Barcelona should be much, much better when it comes to marketing. The potential is huge.

I agree with you about aiming higher and how we haven't been using our marketing potential nearly well enough, but regarding Man Utd: they are very big in the US. I don't think we (or any other european team for that matter) have the same standing there as them?

Last edited:
Hmm, barça is very popular in the americas, but a lot more among hispanics. The typical american soccer family, where the son plays american football and the daughter soccer, certainly ain't into barça

Last edited:

Leo_Messi

First of all, it's GM (Chevrolet), not Chevron. Second, only companies who need attention sponsor football clubs. Energy companies like Shell and Sinopec don't. Have you ever seen a Sinopec ad in your entire life? And Walmart... they only have stores in the US. Why would they pay dozens of millions if only 10% of those who watch Barça matches are a potential target audience?

We should be earning more but let's not exaggerate. Barça plays in La Liga, a league with not even half the marketing potential of the Premier League. People all over the world watch Chelsea or United play terrible sub-par teams. Who watches Barça-Rayo except for fans, and RM fans?

Chevrolet is still an American company.

I suppose that any exposure is welcome. Sponsoring a club of FCB's stature would be welcome exposure. Of course you have a point that energy companies are different in this sense. I guess that an exception could be made? Or involve other things than just the sponsorship. I don't know.

Well Walmart should expand to other markets then.

The marketing value of La Liga is increasing for each season (IMO) and the upcoming TV deal and the earlier kick-off times are a deliberate choice to target the emerging Asian football market.

Let's not exaggerate the pull of the PL. I believe that more people are watching a Barça-Rayo game than people watching a Chelsea-Burnley game as FCB has many more supporters out there.

I agree with you about aiming higher and how we haven't been using our marketing potential nearly well enough, but regarding Man Utd: they are very big in the US. I don't think we (or any other european team for that matter) have the same standing there as them?

I am not an American so I have no clue about that but I imagine that PL is the most popular European league. Still interest in the Spanish league must be significant due to the large Latin-American community and the enormous pull of clubs like FCB and RM.

In my eyes FCB should not be that far off from Man Utd commercially speaking. There is a lot of potential for growth on this field for the club but our board has not been great at using that potential in the right way.

Which the Deloitte Football Money League ranking shows clearly. We have had close to no growth for years now while our competitors have improved. Now our revenue is "only" the fourth biggest while it was the second biggest for years.

--------------

Anyway I was just namedropping companies initially based on their revenue alone.

Companies such as Microsoft or Apple would be more realistic choices but you could always argue whether they lack exposure.

JamDav1982

Lol I won't give up on this, you guys can rationalize/justify/jizz over the need for a shirt sponsor all you want, the idea that it is absolutely necessary is utter bullshit. Pardon the language.
And for those who don't know, I'm not exactly a tree hugging hippie

A shirt sponsor is necessary to compete with other clubs. Other wise you are giving up potentially 50/60m euros at a time when other clubs are catching up on the revenue of Barca.

Barca having 300m less than others over 5/6 years is a big disadvantage.

your numbers are BS, make an effort by yourself to realize this or i won't bother pitching in.
Anyway, what I was referring to was this
A shirt sponsor is necessary to compete with other clubs

Seemed obvious to me .
btw, I know exactly what I would reply, then the gist of your own response, at which point we'll be arguing about hypothetical economics, no thanks.

Last edited:

raki

your numbers are BS, make an effort by yourself to realize this or i won't bother pitching in.
Anyway, what I was referring to was this

Seemed obvious to me .
btw, I know exactly what I would reply, than the gist of your own response, at which point we'll be arguing about hypothetical economics, no thanks.

You are rude and your "argument" is utter nonsense. Other big clubs are getting every piece of markting money they can and Barcelona should be Holier-than-thou. Spot on...

The finantial part of the board has made a good job. Reducing the debt every year and still being profitable. They are undoing Laporta´s over spending.
There are no sugar daddies in Barcelona, a poor region in a poor country who has a 25% unemployment rate.

so this is your argument
Other big clubs are getting every piece of markting money they can and Barcelona should be Holier-than-thou. Spot on...
Ok.
sorry you did not understand my posts. Btw, if jamdav had issues with my wording, I'm sure he'd let me know

FYI, Spain is ranked 30th in GDP per capita, and Catalunya is a region, not barcelona.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans