Copa: Atletico Madrid - FC Barcelona 2-3

KingLeo10

B8eTyXlIgAMN9Yf.jpg

B8eUS75CEAA7wVU.jpg

those pictures look like they were taken on atletico's smashed bus :mou:

Leo_Messi

A great performance by the team. Even when Atlético scored their penalty I never doubted the team one second.

But what a crazy match! You know that it has been an unusual match when the team scores 2 goals after counterattacks and the remaining goal after a corner kick!

A lot of positives can be taken from this match. Messi is back (was he ever away?), Neymar keeps progressing for each game, the trio upfront is getting better and better, the midfield trio of Busquets, Don Andrés and Rakitic are also performing very well. Piqué is back to his best too. Hell, even Alves of all people is performing well.

Lucho might not be as clueless as most of us thought not long ago. If the guys can maintain this form or a similar form until the end of this season then it's fair to conclude that we are up for some pleasant surprises.

Here's hoping!

KyletheMuslim

Guardiolista
FUCK YES,what a great game today from the lads !, I had a feeling about the copa ever since the draw was made last year. All the way to the final !:barca scarf::barca scarf:

BerkeleyBernie

Happy that Barça won, of course, BUT-

If one looks at the game with a critical eye (and, for the moment, sets asides Atletico's thuggery, which always has the potential to self-destruct), Simeone actually got it mostly right. With the exception of the excellent counterattacks, Atletico had the upper hand, and forced Barça to play to Atletico's strengths, forcing clearances, 50-50 balls, scrambling scrappy play, etc. Save for an own goal and Alba's fortunate arm block, the scoreline would have been 2-1 Atletico at the half (or, if we rule out the bad call on the Mascherano penalty, 1-1).

Simeone knew that Barcelona had finally started learning how to get the better of their deep defense, and also needing 2 goals, he took a strategic risk by having Atletico play a pressing game on the return leg. It had the exact effect he anticipated- Barcelona was overrun, and couldn't control the game. Mascherano's intercepted pass leading to the Torres goal, while particularly poor, was forced by Atletico pressure, as was the interception. Atletico pretty much controlled the game early on.

What Simeone couldn't anticipate (and neither could Barça, to be honest), was how well Barça would use the available space when they *did* get the ball; it's a situation Barça hardly ever encounters. Nor could he anticipate exactly how well his own team would deal with unfamiliar advanced pressing tactics instead of their usual deep-lying disciplined formation. The first counterattack could not have been executed any better- Messi's release, Suarez inch-perfect pass, Neymar's threaded finish. It required perfection to be successful, and (this time), the stars (s.i.c.) aligned. The second counterattack was successful entirely because of the insane one-of-a-kind goal to goal sprint of Jordi Alba (and, to some degree, the lapse in play by Atletico because of the uncalled hand ball). Save for these moments of brilliance, Atletico was dictating play, and Barcelona was scrambling not to concede more.

While Barça should be pleased with how it was able to execute counters (for once given the space to do so), the counterattacks were clearly *reactive* to Atletico limiting them from being able to do anything else. Fortunately, the counters succeeded because of the brilliant execution by the players, but one must not take away the impression that this was a strategic choice, nor that Barça was in control of the game.

Of course, everything changed with the red cards. Even assuming hypothetically Atletico could keep 11 players on the pitch, they may have faltered as the game wore on (as most high pressure teams do), allowing Barcelona to finally take control of the pitch. But it does leave the door open to speculating how Barça will fair against a high-pressing team (i.e. Bayern) who executes it better than the usually deep-defending Atletico.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Happy that Barça won, of course, BUT-

If one looks at the game with a critical eye (and, for the moment, sets asides Atletico's thuggery, which always has the potential to self-destruct), Simeone actually got it mostly right. With the exception of the excellent counterattacks, Atletico had the upper hand, and forced Barça to play to Atletico's strengths, forcing clearances, 50-50 balls, scrambling scrappy play, etc. Save for an own goal and Alba's fortunate arm block, the scoreline would have been 2-1 Atletico at the half (or, if we rule out the bad call on the Mascherano penalty, 1-1).

Simeone knew that Barcelona had finally started learning how to get the better of their deep defense, and also needing 2 goals, he took a strategic risk by having Atletico play a pressing game on the return leg. It had the exact effect he anticipated- Barcelona was overrun, and couldn't control the game. Mascherano's intercepted pass leading to the Torres goal, while particularly poor, was forced by Atletico pressure, as was the interception. Atletico pretty much controlled the game early on.

What Simeone couldn't anticipate (and neither could Barça, to be honest), was how well Barça would use the available space when they *did* get the ball; it's a situation Barça hardly ever encounters. Nor could he anticipate exactly how well his own team would deal with unfamiliar advanced pressing tactics instead of their usual deep-lying disciplined formation. The first counterattack could not have been executed any better- Messi's release, Suarez inch-perfect pass, Neymar's threaded finish. It required perfection to be successful, and (this time), the stars (s.i.c.) aligned. The second counterattack was successful entirely because of the insane one-of-a-kind goal to goal sprint of Jordi Alba (and, to some degree, the lapse in play by Atletico because of the uncalled hand ball). Save for these moments of brilliance, Atletico was dictating play, and Barcelona was scrambling not to concede more.

While Barça should be pleased with how it was able to execute counters (for once given the space to do so), the counterattacks were clearly *reactive* to Atletico limiting them from being able to do anything else. Fortunately, the counters succeeded because of the brilliant execution by the players, but one must not take away the impression that this was a strategic choice, nor that Barça was in control of the game.

Of course, everything changed with the red cards. Even assuming hypothetically Atletico could keep 11 players on the pitch, they may have faltered as the game wore on (as most high pressure teams do), allowing Barcelona to finally take control of the pitch. But it does leave the door open to speculating how Barça will fair against a high-pressing team (i.e. Bayern) who executes it better than the usually deep-defending Atletico.

I certainly agree with everything you said here. I know a lot of Barca fans are happy that they have beaten Atleti for the 3rd time in 3 games, and it's definitely a fantastic achievement considering their record last year.

But I did feel today that Barcelona barely exerted the dominance (or even just regular superiority in play) that we saw in the two previous games. As you mentioned, the goals Barca scored required incredible precision, and dare I say fortune, on their side. What remains to be seen is whether this amazing front 3 can keep delivering that in all the big games to come, or whether they're merely relying on the novelty factor and catching other teams off-guard. I've noticed that Barca revert to their old possession game when they run out of ideas, and that will continue to remain problematic for them. I understand the shift in focus to the attack, but I'm hesitant to proclaim that the midfield is playing an adequate support role at this point in time. I don't think they've quite achieved the balance that is necessary. Hopefully, they get better at it by the time the CL rolls around and this comment is just a reflection of a work-in-progress rather than a failed or half-baked attempt at moving on.

btw I particularly agree with your statement that Barca did not look in control, and that the goals did not originate from a sense of control. When I think of teams that remain in control despite defending and counter-attacking, I think of the Bayern-Real semi-final second leg last year. It may be because Real have more experience at this style of play, but I do not think it is feasible for Barca to play this way against the very best attacking teams, since the midfield just does not support (or even has the ability to - considering the personnel involved) the defence sufficiently enough.

Fantastic achievement from Barca again, and I absolutely cannot sympathize with Thugletico this time.

Last edited:

DrPepper

People complain about the lack of control in the first half, but was it us not able to do it, or us not wanting to do it? I think it was a clear case of the latter and it helped us tremendously. At some point in the first half we had a pass completion rate of like 65% and even though Atletico were pressing quite heavily, had we tried controlling the ball more, a better success rate wouldn't be difficult to achieve.

But it helped since it gave Atletico little time to fall back to their defensive shape and regroup. They basically played the same way like in last year's CL quarter finals against us. At that time, we tried to play from the back and gave them time to form an organised shape and start pressing us again, and again.

A truly remarkable performance. Not because we won at the Calderon, but because we showed that we can indeed play a different style of play.

pacp_96

Chief Of Footballing Matters
Lack of control didn't worry me too much. After they started instantly pressing I thought we were going to have another game like the CL quarter final last year.

Also why did the ref only give Arda a yellow for the boot throw. If that had hit the linesman he would be looking at a long ban.

footyfan

Calma, calma
I know you say that right now, but this set of 3 games really reminds me of the Clasico games from 3 years ago in the 11/12 season.

1-3 win at Bernabeu (La Liga) - convincing win, tactically out-smarting and technically superior football.
1-2 win at Bernabeu (Copa del Rey 1st leg) - less convincing win, Messi genius assist to Abidal gets the winner.
2-2 draw at Camp Nou (Copa 2nd leg) - very similar to today's game, did not look like the team was in control but managed to score 2 anyway. Less of a melt-down from the opposition though.

I think it really mirrors this past month vs Atleti. With each passing game, the level of dominance reduced and the opposition got to grips with how to game the new system from Barca.

Let's just hope the next league game doesn't have the same parallels.

BerkeleyBernie

But I did feel today that Barcelona barely exerted the dominance (or even just regular superiority in play) that we saw in the two previous games.

I think this bears repeating. In the previous two games, Barça *did* achieve a tactical milestone- unlocking one of the best deep defenses in the world with a Messi/Rakitic/Alves right wing overload. This is an important piece of the puzzle, as the majority of opponents will defend deep. But, as you point out, the midfield is still suspect against more adventurous teams (which is the role Atletico played in today's contest). If that can be tactically addressed, then Barça has as good a chance as any at winning the CL.

Home of Barca Fans